Newcastle v Middlesbrough Sun 3rd Feb @ 13:30

Skirge

We should play Barton and Emre on Sunday imo. Let's murder the twats.

who do boro play in central midfield? rochemback and arca isnt it? hardly the most physical pair and neither spend a lot of time going on surging runs upfield. i think we can do without a defensive midfielder for this one so i agree.

We should definitive play Emre and Barton becasue they are our best attacking center midfielders and Barton is quite good as defensiv to. The most importand things is though the players in the center got their rols. So they don´t play at the same spots all the time. And that they can be offensive in their play.

who do boro play in central midfield? rochemback and arca isnt it? hardly the most physical pair and neither spend a lot of time going on surging runs upfield. i think we can do without a defensive midfielder for this one so i agree.

boateng,cattermole not been playing  ?

boateng,cattermole not been playing  ?

No, Cattermole is shite and Boateng out of favour with Arca the new captain. It will be him and Rochemback, with O'Neil and Downing (if fit) wide.

Guest toonlass

Gook Lee and Mido up front, scoretastic , they should use Mido in the goal, he is MASSIVE now.

Probably be Aliadiere and Tuncay if they're both fit. Hopefully they won't be.

Both limped off midweek, both doubtful for sunday

Guest toonlass

Gook Lee and Mido up front, scoretastic , they should use Mido in the goal, he is MASSIVE now.

As big as Andy Reid?

oh yes!

Probably be Aliadiere and Tuncay if they're both fit. Hopefully they won't be.

Both limped off midweek, both doubtful for sunday

I know. Downing too. If those three and Alves are all out, we'll roll them over. Here's hoping.

view from a boro fan

Keeping Keegan and Co out in the cold By Elise Brunton

Posted on Friday 01 Feb 2008 17:44:17

There is a question as to whether Sunday’s north east derby will take place, the wind is howling and the snow is coming down at an alarming rate.

Boro on the other hand are on the up! We signed Alves, Aliadiere scored and we beat Wigan.

Newcastle have also been bringing in new faces, but more in the boardroom than on the pitch. Kevin Keegan and Dennis Wise can fight amongst themselves as to who is actually in charge, but their team are in danger of being pulled into the relegation fight.

Despite the ‘Messiah’ returning and Wise joining the party, Newcastle are not in high spirits. No Boro fan needs telling that the Geordies have failed to score a single goal since Keegan returned to Newcastle-But it pleases me enormously to repeat it!

The Geordies suffered at the hands of Arsenal who mercilessly crushed them twice in one week, but Boro are feeling the effects of taking on Wigan, having picked up a string of injuries.

Tuncay is the most worrying because his hamstring could see him out for anything from a fortnight upwards.

Downing got a knock on the knee and Wheater limped off at half time, but rejoined his team mates for the second 45 minutes and seemed to shake it off.

Aliadiere also aggravated his groin strain, but having finally scored at the Riverside, and a goal of such quality at that, he will be fighting to be fit and raring to go.

Alves could make his debut if his international clearance comes through in time for Sunday’s match and it looks like it’ll be Aliadiere who gets the nod, ahead of the returning Mido, to partner the Brazilian.

Speaking to the club’s official website, Southgate said: “He [Alves] is a different type of player, a natural finisher.

"We finished 12th last year. It's incredible what we've had to deal with this season, but despite it all we're 13th and looking up the table.

"We're getting stronger and signing Alves gives us added momentum. Of course, signing him is not just about this season but longer term as well.

"I felt we needed strengthening up front. We've got a team that's playing well but missing a lot of chances - Jeremie Aliadiere been fantastic in particular over the last few weeks and will play big part.

"Tuncay will play big part too, but Alves offers something a bit different.”

If Alves is unavailable, Aliadiere and Mido will have to lead from the front, but it won’t be easy to put the ball past the Geordie’s goalkeeper.

Newcastle’s strongest link is undoubtedly Shay Given, the Irishman’s loyalty to the Geordies is admirable (and rather astonishing at times) given their patchy form and mutinous fans. Managers come and go at St James’s Park but Shay it seems is forever.

Given is expecting a tough game against Boro, but insists that Keegan will come good in the end, he said: “It will take time, but Kevin’s enthusiasm and his aura – when he walks into the dressing room you sort of stand up – will pay off. He has got that sort of charisma. I believe in the long run, we will be a much better team for it.

“We have got a massive game now on Sunday against Middlesbrough, it’s a local derby and they are in and around us in the table, so it’s a huge game.  I think everybody has got carried away a bit. There’s a lot of work to be done and Kevin has not got a magic wand. It is not going to happen overnight.” (goal.com)

Newcastle have got some dangerous payers, Joey Barton for instance is most definitely a danger to himself and others!

On a more serious note, Michael Owen can never be discounted and as captain will want to distinguish himself for his team.

Mark Viduka failed to score at the Riverside but you can guarantee he’ll be busting a gut-ahem!-to score.    ;D

Arsenal have recently put 6 past the Geordies altogether, and Man Utd did it in one go, wouldn’t it be wonderful if Boro carried on this noble tradition?!

Browse all GENERAL INTEREST articles

Im sure the game will go ahead, we have those big heater things on the pitch daily dont we?

We have under-soil heating which should prevent any problems related to the pitch but when our game was called off the other year against it Charlton it was because the ground was slippery and wet etc and deemed unsafe for the fans.

Hope not as im going to it, although im going for the weekend so i guess ill have a couple of good nights at least, will be gutted if i dont get to the game though :(

The shite weather for that Charlton game was pretty sudden iirc, so as long as they are prepared there really shouldn't be any problems.

Given

Carr   Taylor   Cacapa  Enrique

Duff   Barton     Emre   N'zogbia

Owen   Viduka

Starting line up Id like to see for sure.

Think he will go with Butt and Emre in the middle though, and maybe viduka on the bench.

Lawros prediction

If Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan needed any reminder how short he is of good players, the last two matches - both 3-0 defeats by Arsenal - have provided it.

I think he will get his first win here - and the team will score their first goals - since his return to St James' Park, but they will be nervously hanging on at the end.

Match preview

Prediction: 2-1