Isn't it about time we had an argument about THE BOARD?!?!?!?!?!

magorific

Who the fuck do you suggest we'd signed this month?

Come up with some realistic possibilities and why they'd leave their current clubs to join us, and i'll conceded that you're right and i'm wrong.

Gonna have exactly the same problem in summer then.

what is the problem with singing young players for the future? didn't you say that N'Zogbia was the most talented player at our club a couple of days ago? and he was signed this way.

if we can bring in promising talents and hopefully develop them along then i don't see the problem. it is low-risk and every so often this policy will yield good results. as long as it is pursued alongside first-team transfers i dont see any negatives. and i think bringing in the technical directors ensures that the two recruitment policies exist side by side.

Good post.

It seems people are envious of Wenger's achievements at Arsenal yet don't want to see the same set up implemented here. Strange.

Iz becoz we canna parayde dem lyek. If dey not heard of dem den they must be shit innit?!

seems like deja vue here. Under Souness we were told that it was fine to clear out the bad eggs because Alex Ferguson did, now we are being told its OK buying a load of 17 year olds because Arsene Wenger has.

Quite incredible the complete rubbish that people get suckered into believing, and all because the fat bastard ate all their pies or something.........

Not to mention, that Bobby Robson has been down the same path and didn't match Wenger ie Bramble, Ambrose, Viana, Gavilan,

Cort, Cordone, Jeanarse, Lua Lua, Bassedas, O'Brien.............. his best buys for the club being Woodgate, Bellamy and Robert by a country mile.

People getting sucked into believing what?

That the club looking to the future and recruiting a Real Madrid talent scout in order to find some of the best young players out there is a good idea?

Btw Cordone and Bassedas were 24/25 when they came here.

NE5, no one said you can't simultaneously sign both young prospects and first-team players. what is the downside of recruiting young talented players who top scouts have recommended? it worked with N'Zogbia, while even Bellamy was a raw 21 year old poorly rated by fans of his former club. sure it might not work every time but it is so low-cost and low-risk that we won't lose much, and just getting one fine talent that works out pays for the other failures. that is assuming a low success rate, maybe after a few years we'll be as good as Arsenal and pumping out top players every season. and even with all the dross robson signed he still took us into the champion's league.

as long as this is done alongside buying top class first team players, there is no downside.

Agree with that. It's ok building for the future, but it should be done after the main squad is built.

Arsenal didn't go out and find youngsters whilst Arsenal were shite - they built a good team before then building the academy.

We're desperately short of players who can improve what is essentially an awful premiership team. We should be looking for those players now.

Obviously the ideal is a bit of both. Developing the first team and hope youngsters come through later on.

I don't think the last two weeks in January is enough for the new manager to convince very good players to come here (and their teams to sell them) though.

Who the fuck do you suggest we'd signed this month?

Come up with some realistic possibilities and why they'd leave their current clubs to join us, and i'll conceded that you're right and i'm wrong.

Gonna have exactly the same problem in summer then.

Most clubs are very reluctant to let any players go during the January window, the summer window is totally different.

NE5, no one said you can't simultaneously sign both young prospects and first-team players. what is the downside of recruiting young talented players who top scouts have recommended? it worked with N'Zogbia, while even Bellamy was a raw 21 year old poorly rated by fans of his former club. sure it might not work every time but it is so low-cost and low-risk that we won't lose much, and just getting one fine talent that works out pays for the other failures. that is assuming a low success rate, maybe after a few years we'll be as good as Arsenal and pumping out top players every season.

as long as this is done alongside buying top class first team players, there is no downside.

It's not about bringing these players in, it's about NOT bringing in players who can improve the team now. Very disappointing from the club. Other clubs have bought players in January, so I'm not accepting that it's impossible.

Agree with that. It's ok building for the future, but it should be done after the main squad is built.

Arsenal didn't go out and find youngsters whilst Arsenal were shite - they built a good team before then building the academy.

We're desperately short of players who can improve what is essentially an awful premiership team. We should be looking for those players now.

Obviously the ideal is a bit of both. Developing the first team and hope youngsters come through later on.

I don't think the last two weeks in January is enough for the new manager to convince very good players to come here (and their teams to sell them) though.

Ashley's fault for the timing of the sacking. Allardyce should have gone before Christmas.

what is the problem with singing young players for the future? didn't you say that N'Zogbia was the most talented player at our club a couple of days ago? and he was signed this way.

if we can bring in promising talents and hopefully develop them along then i don't see the problem. it is low-risk and every so often this policy will yield good results. as long as it is pursued alongside first-team transfers i dont see any negatives. and i think bringing in the technical directors ensures that the two recruitment policies exist side by side.

Good post.

It seems people are envious of Wenger's achievements at Arsenal yet don't want to see the same set up implemented here. Strange.

Iz becoz we canna parayde dem lyek. If dey not heard of dem den they must be shit innit?!

seems like deja vue here. Under Souness we were told that it was fine to clear out the bad eggs because Alex Ferguson did, now we are being told its OK buying a load of 17 year olds because Arsene Wenger has.

Quite incredible the complete rubbish that people get suckered into believing, and all because the fat bastard ate all their pies or something.........

Not to mention, that Bobby Robson has been down the same path and didn't match Wenger ie Bramble, Ambrose, Viana, Gavilan,

Cort, Cordone, Jeanarse, Lua Lua, Bassedas, O'Brien.............. his best buys for the club being Woodgate, Bellamy and Robert by a country mile.

But Keegan has said the players he wants are not available in January, so what is he to do?

Does he buy other players now for the sake of getting people in or wait until the Summer to get the players in he wants?

Good post.

N'Zogbia wasn't a bad signing and half of those you mentioned were not signed by going down the same path.

Interesting people are now saying how good zoggy is, they should have listened to me 3 years ago.

The players above were all signed with the future in mind, or for cut prices in accordance with what the manager thought in the same was as Wenger has done. Please explain why you think following this path is a sure fire winner. Because I'll tell you something, it isn't. It means absolutely nothing, when almost all of these players will fall by the wayside. You need quality players now not for the future and if you pursue a penny pinching hope of reaching the top levels of the game, and I have never seen a manager ever who has done this as well as Arsene Wenger. Of course, it is the height of incompetence if our ex board - or the current one - can't find the new Wenger, and for that they should all get our heartiest condemnation for it.

Good post.

But Keegan has said the players he wants are not available in January, so what is he to do?

Does he buy other players now for the sake of getting people in or wait until the Summer to get the players in he wants?

Do you not feel you've heard and seen it all before though? I have absolutely no confidence that the players we can get in summer will be any better than the ones we could get now.

We'll certainly be in a worse position in summer than we are at the moment.

Ashley's fault for the timing of the sacking. Allardyce should have gone before Christmas.

I've never liked the timing of Allardyce's sacking. I would have tried to do it at the end of the season (never thought he would take us down), but then he probably would have walked with no transfer funds anyway.

thjey did both at the same time, rather than do one first then the other later. his second signing was a young lad from AC Milan's reserves (Vieira) and his 4th a raw 17 year old poached from PSG's youth side who had only a handful of senior appearances (Anelka). and with people like comolli and dein working for the club he could afford to delegate some responsibility to them so that both approaches are pursued simultaneously. it seems we're trying to do the same thing.

NE5, no one said you can't simultaneously sign both young prospects and first-team players. what is the downside of recruiting young talented players who top scouts have recommended? it worked with N'Zogbia, while even Bellamy was a raw 21 year old poorly rated by fans of his former club. sure it might not work every time but it is so low-cost and low-risk that we won't lose much, and just getting one fine talent that works out pays for the other failures. that is assuming a low success rate, maybe after a few years we'll be as good as Arsenal and pumping out top players every season.

It's not about bringing these players in, it's about NOT bringing in players who can improve the team now. Very disappointing from the club. Other clubs have bought players in January, so I'm not accepting that it's impossible.

I agree. I don't see any reason why we could not have got somebody who would improve the team. As it happens, if we sink down the league, it will cost a lot more than paying a bit more to have got a quality player on board the club this month.

This is how football works, not through listening to penny pinching businessmen and bean counters.

Keegan tried to sign players this month who would improve our first team, but either their clubs wouldn't sell them or they didn't want to join us.

You make it sound as if they haven't been trying. We tried for Woodgate, Sissoko and god knows who else BUT THEY DIDN'T WANT TO COME HERE!

Have you got special needs or something?

Good post.

N'Zogbia wasn't a bad signing and half of those you mentioned were not signed by going down the same path.

Interesting people are now saying how good zoggy is, they should have listened to me 3 years ago.

The players above were all signed with the future in mind, or for cut prices in accordance with what the manager thought in the same was as Wenger has done. Please explain why you think following this path is a sure fire winner. Because I'll tell you something, it isn't. It means absolutely nothing, when almost all of these players will fall by the wayside. You need quality players now not for the future and if you pursue a penny pinching hope of reaching the top levels of the game, and I have never seen a manager ever who has done this as well as Arsene Wenger. Of course, it is the height of incompetence if our ex board - or the current one - can't find the new Wenger, and for that they should all get our heartiest condemnation for it.

I don't think going down this path is a sure fire winner but I think it is a good policy providing it is not our only policy which I'm sure it isn't. This policy is to complement the first team transfer policy, I'm almost sure of that but it just so happens that January is poor time for buying quality players as hardly any clubs are willing to let go of their players, there is no point buying a player now that we don't really want or need long term. If come the summer time we don't go out and sign any proven quality and continue with only this youth policy then that is the time to shout down Ashley and Mort and be very worried.

thjey did both at the same time, rather than do one first then the other later. his second signing was a young lad from AC Milan's reserves (Vieira) and his 4th a raw 17 year old poached from PSG's youth side who had only a handful of senior appearances (Anelka). and with people like comolli and dein working for the club he could afford to delegate some responsibility to them so that both approaches are pursued simultaneously. it seems we're trying to do the same thing.

Arsenal weren't in the position we are in when they appointed Wenger. They were a top 5 team when he took over.

so it's got nowt to do with bringing in young players, glad to have that cleared up.  O0

Agree that i'd rather we'd spent some real money this January but if the players Keegan wanted weren't available/didn't want to come i can begrudginly wait till summer. if it was true that we'd stopped spending big bucks and were simply resorting to cheap young players then i'd be livid but you can't really say that at this point, Keegan's only been in a charge for a few weeks. Spurs are another side who've bought lots of young players on the cheap but at the same time they've been one of the biggest spenders in the league buying first-team talent. i'd hope we're following a similar route.

These discussions devolve into the same thing every time...

Obviously all of us would love to see trophy signings.  Their absence in this transfer window is more likely because of a lack of availability and/or interest in joining us rather than an unwillingness to spend money.

Better to stock the youth system with promising talent than to do nothing at all.

Keegan tried to sign players this month who would improve our first team, but either their clubs wouldn't sell them or they didn't want to join us.

You make it sound as if they haven't been trying. We tried for Woodgate, Sissoko and god knows who else BUT THEY DIDN'T WANT TO COME HERE!

Have you got special needs or something?

That's a fantastic line at the end mate, you should be really proud of yourself. Why didn't you just ask if I was gay, or black? Not impressed at all, and I'm not wasting my time with you anymore.