Isn't it about time we had an argument about THE BOARD?!?!?!?!?!

magorific

what is the problem with singing young players for the future? didn't you say that N'Zogbia was the most talented player at our club a couple of days ago? and he was signed this way.

if we can bring in promising talents and hopefully develop them along then i don't see the problem. it is low-risk and every so often this policy will yield good results. as long as it is pursued alongside first-team transfers i dont see any negatives. and i think bringing in the technical directors ensures that the two recruitment policies exist side by side.

Good post.

It seems people are envious of Wenger's achievements at Arsenal yet don't want to see the same set up implemented here. Strange.

Iz becoz we canna parayde dem lyek. If dey not heard of dem den they must be shit innit?!

seems like deja vue here. Under Souness we were told that it was fine to clear out the bad eggs because Alex Ferguson did, now we are being told its OK buying a load of 17 year olds because Arsene Wenger has.

Quite incredible the complete rubbish that people get suckered into believing, and all because the fat bastard ate all their pies or something.........

Not to mention, that Bobby Robson has been down the same path and didn't match Wenger ie Bramble, Ambrose, Viana, Gavilan,

Cort, Cordone, Jeanarse, Lua Lua, Bassedas, O'Brien.............. his best buys for the club being Woodgate, Bellamy and Robert by a country mile.

Agree with that. It's ok building for the future, but it should be done after the main squad is built.

Arsenal didn't go out and find youngsters whilst Arsenal were shite - they built a good team before then building the academy.

We're desperately short of players who can improve what is essentially an awful premiership team. We should be looking for those players now.

But Keegan has said the players he wants are not available in January, so what is he to do?

Does he buy other players now for the sake of getting people in or wait until the Summer to get the players in he wants?

Do you not feel you've heard and seen it all before though? I have absolutely no confidence that the players we can get in summer will be any better than the ones we could get now.

We'll certainly be in a worse position in summer than we are at the moment.

I don't think we will, clubs are more open to transfers in the Summer than they are now, we've seen in the past how few transfers go through in January and we had the exact same problem last January when Roeder went after Crouch and Curtis Davies, clubs don't want to sell if they're chasing Europe/promotion and you can't blame them.

The other problem is our league position, you've said yourself that we're in danger of going down so why would a player want to leave a club pushing a European place to come here now with that risk still there? Come the Summer the only thing we won't have going for us is being in Europe, it's up to Keegan then to convince the better players to come here and be apart of his vision at the expense of missing out on Europe for a season.

The signings of these young lads should have no impact at all on the first team or how it does business at the moment.

what is the problem with singing young players for the future? didn't you say that N'Zogbia was the most talented player at our club a couple of days ago? and he was signed this way.

if we can bring in promising talents and hopefully develop them along then i don't see the problem. it is low-risk and every so often this policy will yield good results. as long as it is pursued alongside first-team transfers i dont see any negatives. and i think bringing in the technical directors ensures that the two recruitment policies exist side by side.

Good post.

It seems people are envious of Wenger's achievements at Arsenal yet don't want to see the same set up implemented here. Strange.

Iz becoz we canna parayde dem lyek. If dey not heard of dem den they must be s*** innit?!

seems like deja vue here. Under Souness we were told that it was fine to clear out the bad eggs because Alex Ferguson did, now we are being told its OK buying a load of 17 year olds because Arsene Wenger has.

Quite incredible the complete rubbish that people get suckered into believing, and all because the fat b****** ate all their pies or something.........

Not to mention, that Bobby Robson has been down the same path and didn't match Wenger ie Bramble, Ambrose, Viana, Gavilan,

Cort, Cordone, Jeanarse, Lua Lua, Bassedas, O'Brien.............. his best buys for the club being Woodgate, Bellamy and Robert by a country mile.

Agree with that. It's ok building for the future, but it should be done after the main squad is built.

Arsenal didn't go out and find youngsters whilst Arsenal were s**** - they built a good team before then building the academy.

We're desperately short of players who can improve what is essentially an awful premiership team. We should be looking for those players now.

But Keegan has said the players he wants are not available in January, so what is he to do?

Does he buy other players now for the sake of getting people in or wait until the Summer to get the players in he wants?

Do you not feel you've heard and seen it all before though? I have absolutely no confidence that the players we can get in summer will be any better than the ones we could get now.

We'll certainly be in a worse position in summer than we are at the moment.

I don't think we will, clubs are more open to transfers in the Summer than they are now, we've seen in the past how few transfers go through in January and we had the exact same problem last January when Roeder went after Crouch and Curtis Davies, clubs don't want to sell if they're chasing Europe/promotion and you can't blame them.

The other problem is our league position, you've said yourself that we're in danger of going down so why would a player want to leave a club pushing a European place to come here now with that risk still there? Come the Summer the only thing we won't have going for us is being in Europe, it's up to Keegan then to convince the better players to come here and be apart of his vision at the expense of missing out on Europe for a season.

The signings of these young lads should have no impact at all on the first team or how it does business at the moment.

What he said!

Surely the recent changes upstairs would tend to point to the fact that the development of the youth and reserve teams is an entirely separate exercise from the first team? In that case, why would signing these youngsters have any impact on strengthening the first team? I hardly think we're bringing these youngsters in because we're unable to sign 'top' players. These players would've been coming even if we'd manage to bring in Deco, Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Guest LucaAltieri

Surely the recent changes upstairs would tend to point to the fact that the development of the youth and reserve teams is an entirely separate exercise from the first team? In that case, why would signing these youngsters have any impact on strengthening the first team? I hardly think we're bringing these youngsters in because we're unable to sign 'top' players. These players would've been coming even if we'd manage to bring in Deco, Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Agreed... however I also think that our current young players might be about ready to move on. For likes of Lua Lua and Carrol it is getting towards crunch time. Are they good enough to be with the first team? Is there something there or is it time to ship them out? It might just be a case of re-stocking the youth/reserve team with potential.

For what its worth I can imagine Lua Lua pushing for a first team place by the end of the season.

Agreed... however I also think that our current young players might be about ready to move on. For likes of Lua Lua and Carrol it is getting towards crunch time. Are they good enough to be with the first team? Is there something there or is it time to ship them out? It might just be a case of re-stocking the youth/reserve team with potential.

For what its worth I can imagine Lua Lua pushing for a first team place by the end of the season.

Yep, I think that's right. Even Mort's comments last year suggested that he was not impressed with the quality of the current batch of youth players.

Young import; great news.

Four/five cultured youngsters in one window is good going imo. It's disappointing that we've not got any immediate first teamers in, but it was always going to be very difficult, simply due to the inflation and the fact that it's mid-season (not to mention the wholescale changes in the backroom). I mean look, only Chelsea and Spurs have made really significant signings (probably Boro soon, too). Anelka for £15m and Woodgate/Hutton for £16m. No one's really spent this window.

I said early in the window, when there was a thread asking what would you realistically like to see, i said that three highly rated youngsters would be great.

I still think that aswell. When was the last time we did this? We should have endorced this transfer policy as soon as Sir Bobby left. Other teams did, that's when it became popular. Obviously, there was the Chelsea thing, but Arsenal's fantastic never-lose players were starting to run out of steam (Ljungberg, Pires, etc), Liverpool brought in youngsters, Man Utd did with Rossi, Pique etc. Obviously, the Chelsea situation was a bit different. Bobby was starting to do so (Milner/Zog/Ambrose), but we chucked him.

Agree with your points.

This move is certainly Jeff Vetere first signing in his new technical and player recruitment role, at Real Madrid he helped the Spanish club scout and sign the best talents across the world; quite a cue for the club the Vetere appointment.

The concern is how comfortable Keegan is with this new continental-style management structure.

There's some good points worth thinking about amidst the agendas from both sides in here.

I understand there may be good reasons for us not bringing in any quality players, but I still feel uneasy about it. I think it's a fairly sensible approach to build up the Academy if we cannot attract the biggest players, well it's just a sensible approach to build the Academy anyway. If you want to be a big club, a really big club, I'm not sure you can have one without the other though. There does need to be some serious investment made in players this summer, and if it doesn't come then some serious questions need to be asked. I still think that the current board have a lot of proper excuses for there not being serious movement on transfers or any "big" signings being made, though, and that people judging them this soon need to give their heads a shake.

I, personally, didn't get really disillusioned with the previous board until quite late in the day, when it became apparent to me that we were falling behind a lot of our competitors in this country due to poor decision making by people at many levels, not just by he who shall not be named, though he contributed his share. At times before the takeover I was feeling embarrassed to support my football club by some of the things that were going on, I haven't really felt like this so far under Ashley - although there have been a few things here and there which have made me squirm a little bit.

Nobody is going to run a football club perfectly, and while we did very well at times under the last regime it was still clear that by the end that something had to change. I think Allardyce would have been the last roll of the dice and if he'd have failed, which he probably would have done, then it'd have been curtains anyway.

Also, for all the time I've been on here I've never really seen N'Zogbia knocked since he made his debut, I've certainly rated him highly from the first time I saw him play and I thought that was the case for most of us on here?

Guest billy askew

major improvement on all these trophy signings

Aye, you'd think so until you notice it's actually Michael Bridges who's changed his name by Deed Poll.

so you are happy with signing 17 year old kids, where one out of twenty or something will make the premiership, and are confident we will match the top 4 teams under such a policy

I will tell you here and now, you can believe all the hype bollocks, cliches or whatever you have done in the past, but you will NEVER match the top 4 teams unless you have players that they themselves want, and sometimes that means paying top dollar for these despicable "trophy" players.

If you disagree, I wait for the response when Keegan makes his first decent money signing.

I think the transfer policy so far under Ashley has been an absolute disaster.

Have a shake of your head man.

I for one am delighted we have not spent big money on transfers in the window, Keegan has 14 games left to asses the squad & backroom staff and will have the summer to plan for next season (a time of year when you are more likely to get clubs to sell players). I belive Keegan would not have accepted the job without having BIG money to spend.

I am also delighted that we are starting to look for players here there and everywhere (has not done Arsenal any harm). It is right that most of them will not make it big (there are plenty at Arsenal who do not make the grade but you do not hear about these ones) the point is though some might and you may save a small fortune and further on down the line use that money on proven talent players who are at there peak.

As for having a pop at Ashley he has got rid of Shepherd (banned him from the ground everyone should know why), paid off the clubs debt. We were in a much bigger mess before he came.

What do you mean by trophy signings the likes of (Kaka stuff of dreams but unrealistic) or the likes of Kluivert (washed up wasters). In my opinion in the summer we need to be looking at the likes of Bentley players who have the potential to move foward much bigger names(who are still in their prime) would probably not entertain us AT THE MOMENT.

I'm pleased you think we are having a great season.

I am also pleased for you that you condemn football clubs having debts, insinuating such a thing means they have s**** boards. Did you know that the current top 4 clubs in this country have accumulated debts of 1.5 billion quid ?

Ashley got the club on the cheap ie because of this "debt" and now has increased its value. Kids stuff. But continue to misrepresent the ex board if it suits your "opinion" if you like.

Ref Trophy signings, my opinion is that there is no such thing, but people insist we have signed lots of them in the past, when I can't think of any, and neither can they when I ask who they are

I do not think we are having a great season, but I also understand that it is partly because of years of cock ups by Shepherd et al it you may be suprised to find out that our net spend over the last 10 years (before Ashley took over is only 85 million) this in a time when Man utd were signing players for around 30 million.

There is nothing wrong with a buisness having debt most do but well ran ones are managable. The top four are mortgaged on being in europe every year (imagine if we were in our current mess)

Also why did the Shepherds buy a warehouse in byker for around £250,000 then lease it back to the club for 170,000 per season (obviously has the club at heart).

We have got to start looking to next season now and finish as high as we possibly can.

You seem the kind of bloke who walked out before the end of the Wolves game when we finished fifth. I on the other hand hekped keep the club alive when half the current plebs attending used to go shopping with their wives on a saturday afternoon.

Why are people saying things have been a disaster.

Im really curious as to who people think we should have signed.

Are there only 13 players in the world? I reckon there might just be a midfielder out there better than the shite we've got.

Are there only 13 players in the world? I reckon there might just be a midfielder out there better than the shite we've got.

Not suprised we didn't get a striker or midfielder tbh, as Keegan pretty much listed every midfielder and striker during his first week here and announced that he rated them.

Are there only 13 players in the world? I reckon there might just be a midfielder out there better than the s**** we've got.

Well who are you saying we should have signed, realistically?