Newcastle 1 - 1 Middlesbrough - 03/02/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

Guest NorwegianMag

I'm quite looking forward to Euro 2008.  Didn't think I would be, but it will be nice to enjoy nice football without the cruel blow of bitter, soul sucking, weekend destroying disappointment for a change. 

Agree. This is depressing.

first of all boro are shit, when we pushed up they just kept hitting it over the top to given (when he had the presence of mind to come for it) or out of play, they had nothing, and huth took a free kick, what in cock and balls was that all about!?

given's lost his bottle, keeps getting beaten from range etc, others have said it before me. i want him replaced at the end of the season as he's only gonna get worse, yes he's been great for us but sorry, gotta go

if we get in a centre half equal to faye's stature and ability i think we'll look a LOT more solid

i dont need to comment on nicky butt apart from to say that with all his years of experience he doesnt seem to have leaned how to follow instructions, in the passage of play before they scored he found himself in space with time and he just toe punted it to a red shirt, keegan then got off the bench and clearly signalled to him to take his time and play it on the deck, 30 seconds later butt's in EXACTLY the same position with MORE time and he did EXACTLY the same thing, mind blowingly incompetent, we've seen enough of him, out

it seemed our greatest problem today, as simple as it sounds, was going forwards, SO many times we had posession with a chance to move forwards and we turned round or went sideways, why do we keep giving the ball to our centre halves to start our moves? has it seriously come to the point where they're our playmakers?

emre, WHAT the fuck is up with this little chipped ball he tries to play ALL the time? does he think he's playing in the nfl? because it never, ever works

barton i thought had a decent game, owen looked improved, worst thing in the game for me though was us camped on our 18 yard box trying to defend our lead when everytime we'd pushed up they didnt have an answer to it, fucking schoolboy stuff tbh

still say we need a centre half, a right winger, maybe a left, a centre mid who can pass and a big mobile striker, i'm now adding goalkeeper to that list

I thought we played alright today. Not much you can do when the ref is determined to give everything, including goals, their way while they kick the shit out of our players.

Wheater could have kicked Alan Smith in the face, he'd have given the free kick the other way for Smith biting his foot.

I thought we played alright today. Not much you can do when the ref is determined to give everything, including goals, their way while they kick the shit out of our players.

Wheater could have kicked Alan Smith in the face, he'd have given the free kick the other way for Smith biting his foot.

:lol:

Carr and Butt were repeatedly wasteful with time and space.  Beye will solve that issue with RB and Barton needs to play for Butt, full stop.  Emre was breath of fresh air.  He kept the ball moving, passed it about, and will hopefully stay out of trouble and (injury - proving all is right, heard he had a hamstring problem? can anyone confirm?)  Owen looked to have a major bounce in his step after he scored. He had one chance where he muffed it wide, signs of an extremely rusty finisher, but no doubt will put that away when given a similar chance.  His leap for the header was amazing - his positioning in those situations are immense.  Would love Martins to come back and add a bit of pace and fire to our front line, with Keegan, he will only get better. 

I've kept quiet about these parts for long enough, and I'm looking forward to joining the banter.

Guest neesy111

I've said it before, Owen is finished as this class finisher. Seems to miss at least one nailed on sitter every single game.

totally agree he has scored 5 goals, 2 from shots against barnsley and stoke thats it

i could of scored that chance he had easily

i think he's finished full stop, his general play was awful first half

and he never wants to get in the box or play on the last defender

I've said it before, Owen is finished as this class finisher. Seems to miss at least one nailed on sitter every single game.

Aye. He only seems to be capable of a few types of goals. When he scored those goals for England I thought that had changed but it hasn't. his heading is his best attribute these days.

At the end of the day, it was a game that was undercut by poor refereeing. If Owen's early goal hadn't been wrongly disallowed, it would have been a very different 90 mins. Boro would have been forced into a more open game much earlier on instead of stifling us for the entire first half. We may still not have won, but it would have shifted momentum our way much earlier on.

Unlucky, frustrating, disappointing, and demoralizing. No use crying over spilt milk, though. Still fairly confident that there's 3 teams in the league worse than we are.

Aye. He only seems to be capable of a few types of goals. When he scored those goals for England I thought that had changed but it hasn't. his heading is his best attribute these days.

Don't agree. I'm not Owen's biggest fan, but I think he's suffering from the general shitness through the middle. When we did get past the full back he was generally straight into a goal-scoring position waiting for a decent cross. And he did score twice today in reality.

Carrwatch

- Played a beautiful through ball that Owen mis controlled.

- Made a good run into the box, but fell to his knees. Had the opportunity to retrieve the ball, but couldn't pull himself off the ground. Made the simple act of getting up look like a turtle on its back.

- Played Boro onside by being at least five yards behind the rest of the defence.

still good on set pieces when everyone starts from a static position and gaining an inch of space becomes important. cos that is all his movement will get him these days.

Guest Novocastrian

We all know Owen is not the type of striker to take the game to the opposition himself or to create his own chances.

He will improve as the team improves and will gain additional confidence with every goal he scores.

Judge him when the team is firing on all cylinders and creating chances.

Carrwatch

- Played a beautiful through ball that Owen mis controlled.

- Made a good run into the box, fell down. Had the opportunity to retrieve the ball, but couldn't pull himself off the ground. Made the simple act of getting up from his knees look like a turtle on its back.

- Played Boro onside by being at least five yards behind the rest of the defence.

Carrwatch cont.

Stumbled like a helpless dwarf as Huth towered above him to head home the equaliser.

People forget Owen is a confidence player. Keegan can give him so much but what he really needs is a few goals. He should have done better with that one Barton played across though. Give him a few of them per game and he'll score more than he misses imo.

OK - The Ref was crap, and I still think we have been on the end of a number of highly questionable decisions this season.....maybe we have made some high-powered enemies at the FA ; think about it.

However -

This team is very poor indeed - anyone doubting it needs their eyes testing.

Boro WERE the better side in all but goals ; they are not a GOOD side, but they are workmanlike, and look more certain to be in the Prem than we do at this point in time..for those who persist in grasping at straws, and say we are in a similar position to Spurs, get real ; Spurs were light-years ahead of us in their game against Man U, light-years...now they DO look like a good side, but then Ramos already had some of the raw material available - KK has a load of absolute DROSS to sort out.

Please stop bleating on about 'when the Africans come back'...if Martins was like Berbatov or Faye like Woody I might agree. The only one who may make any  difference is Beye at RB.

We don't HAVE a TEAM - they are a collection of misfits, other clubs' cast-offs and players reaching the end of the line(Butt is declining so fast it isn't true, and must be dropped but there is no class replacement).

Both Cacapa and Taylor looked uncertain compared to Huth and Wheater - and Huth is no race horse..

People who have slagged off Enrique must now be eating their words because although he isn't perfect he is a far better LB than Zog, and the side looks unbalanced without him.

Incredibly, nearly all of Owen's goals have come from headers - once the weakest part of his game as a striker and this is because he still has the predatory instinct to be in the right place, but he has no chance on the deck because the movement/passing is not good enough to take defenders off him. Even he is now a shadow of the player he was.....

We have played worse than this but not much - there is no real improvement from earlier matches except that the ball is not being humped unto the air as much, but the passing from midfield is still awful and predictable.

Contrary to the views of some, I don't think we created much - Owen's wrongly-disallowed goal was the result of a bad goalkeeping error and apart from the goal we hardly had a direct shot ; it took until 44 mins

for Smith to hit the first shot at Schwartzer and that was way out...how many times did we really threaten their goal ?

The Home games against Reading, Mackems, Blackburn are now 'must wins', and we somehow have to put in a couple of disciplined performances away from SJP to try to get a couple of points.We are VERY lucky that Derby, Reading and Fulham have been so poor, for had there been less of a gap we would have been in really serious trouble - Brum and Wigan look like scraping some points together and our friends from Wearside will not give up until its certain they are down - even they looked better than us against Liverpool..

Assuming we scrape 40-41 points - not easy with our fixtures - KK can then begin the long process of sorting the collective bungling of the past 4 years out, and it will be a really difficult task - the last remaining colour in his hair will surely be gone by then !!

I will be surprised if even 4 of this side are in the first team within 2 years.

You've answered your own argument there as well btw.

Owen could have had 4 recently pending decisions

sshh...don't let the facts get in the way of a good slagging.

Give your head a shake man for God's sake.

Sorry but I don't see the point in complaining about Owen when he's scored two goals even though our attacking play was blunt at best.

Owen could have had 4 recently pending decisions

sshh...don't let the facts get in the way of a good slagging.

Give your head a shake man for God's sake.

Sorry but I don't see the point in complaining about Owen when he's scored two goals even though our attacking play was blunt at best.

he's a pretty good whipping boy because he cost a lot and he's been injured, a lot