Newcastle 1 - 1 Middlesbrough - 03/02/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

No, Martins actually has the exact same problem because he doesn't have the footballing brain to pick out spots to run into. Can't finish either, but he's ridiculously agile and has a fuck hard shot, so he gets random goals sometimes.

They're both horribly frustrating players.

Agreed, Owen is frustrating but you know he will pop up with a goal. You don't have that confidence in Martins. I think we need 2 new strikers.

Speak for yourself. Martins has more goals than Owen this season from less games up front.

Not gonna research it, but got a feeling that stat is misleading somehow. Maybe not, still, I'd have Owen up front over Martins every day of the week.

Typical Keegan always attacking. Why can't Newcastle ever defend a lead against a schitty side like Boro?

What a load of nonsense.

If anything, we didn't attack enough. We should have went on for number two after Owen's first.

Agreed..Defending was Allardyce's plan and look where it got us..hopefully after given Keegan more time he'll get it right and we'll be able to defeat teams like Boro with more than one goal.

Given - 5  This has been his poorest season so far. He's lost that chirpy confidence that was so important for him.

Carr - 6  Did okay. Put in a lot of work and showed initiative.

Cacapa - 7  Held things together at the back for us.

Taylor - 5  My heart's in my mouth every time he's on the ball. Always looks likely to lose it.

N-Zoggy - 7 Typical performance. Often got caught in no man's land, but opened things up for us going forward more than once.

Barton - 7  Created a lot for us. Occasionally got caught.

Butt - 3  No leadership qualities. Can't pass. Reluctant to take responsibility.

Emre - 5  Poor in defence. If you pick a player like that, he's really got to create things for you, and that didn't happen.

Duff - 7  Tried to do too much on his own at times, but often a threat.

Smith - 6 Did a good job as target man, winning a lot of balls, but not much came off for him.

Owen - 6  If it wasn't for the goal, I'd have given him a 4. He really looks like he's struggling.

Viduka - 6  Slow as usual, but always liable to create something out of nothing.

Milner - 6  Looked okay, but not much chance to shine.

Typical Keegan always attacking. Why can't Newcastle ever defend a lead against a schitty side like Boro?

What a load of nonsense.

Please elaborate on your views Wullie. So you don´t agree that after scoring a goal (one goal) after 3 games without a goal we should try to score another? Yeah right be real man. I reckon we are twice as likely to succeed by defending a lead than to score another with our so called strike force.

What a load of nonsense.

Please elaborate on your views Wullie. So you don´t agree that after scoring a goal (one goal) after 3 games without a goal we should try to score another? Yeah right be real man. I reckon we are twice as likely to succeed by defending a lead than to score another with our so called strike force.

You just said "typical Keegan always attacking", now you're advocating attacking? Make your mind up.

Emre - 5  Poor in defence. If you pick a player like that, he's really got to create things for you, and that didn't happen.

Only created the goal today.

Okay. I should have said didn't create enough. Basic point still stands IMO.

Fair goal or not, Boro deserved at least a point. In fact we're fortunate we didnt lose.

Definitely. At least Boro came here with the intention of having a go, unlike most of the sides this season.

You're joking surely. 4-5-1 and kick the shit out of the opposition anti football, which is what Southgate always says he doesn't do (and usually doesn't tbf).

They had a go when they had to at 1 down.

Bit harsh calling their contribution to the game 'anti-football' when we played for an hour with the sole tactic of Given hoofing it up to Smith, who couldn't do anything but back into the defender whinging for free-kicks.

Not sure what all the maoning is about but that's the usual thing on this forum. It's going to take time to turn around the shite started by Souness and finished off by Allardyce. The players are clearly very, very low on belief and self confidence, this is not something you can bring back at the flick of a switch and it's a very, very fine line at this standard between winning and losing the type of game we saw today.

Positives for me :

Duff is improving game by game. Not long ago many on here were stupidly writing him off.... mackems.gif

Smith will do a decent job up front once we do get that confidence and start to create chances. He's not the long term answer but there are other areas to work on first.

Owen is looking sharper and is going to get better as he plays more games. From some injuries it can take upto a full season to really get back upto 100%. His goal today was superb.

Carr isn't doing too badly even though he obviously shouldn't and isn't going to be first choice RB. This is incredible if you believe the shite some people post on here about him.

Cacapa. I can see him being superb by the start of next season as he adjusts to this league.

What a load of nonsense.

You just said "typical Keegan always attacking", now you're advocating attacking? Make your mind up.

I'm talking about the game today, and I'm not advocating attacking after we scored, where do I say that? Make YOUR mind up and read  what I said

What a load of nonsense.

I'm talking about the game today, and I'm not advocating attacking after we scored, where do I say that? Make YOUR mind up and read  what I said

"So you don´t agree that after scoring a goal (one goal) after 3 games without a goal we should try to score another?"

Yes I do agree that we should have tried to score another, and we did try. Glad we cleared that up.

Not sure what all the maoning is about but that's the usual thing on this forum. It's going to take time to turn around the shite started by Souness and finished off by Allardyce. The players are clearly very, very low on belief and self confidence, this is not something you can bring back at the flick of a switch and it's a very, very fine line at this standard between winning and losing the type of game we saw today.

Positives for me :

Duff is improving game by game. Not long ago many on here were stupidly writing him off.... mackems.gif

Smith will do a decent job up front once we do get that confidence and start to create chances. He's not the long term answer but there are other areas to work on first.

Owen is looking sharper and is going to get better as he plays more games. From some injuries it can take upto a full season to really get back upto 100%. His goal today was superb.

Carr isn't doing too badly even though he obviously shouldn't and isn't going to be first choice RB. This is incredible if you believe the shite some people post on here about him.

Cacapa. I can see him being superb by the start of next season as he adjusts to this league.

Seriously HTL, Cacapa has to be replaced if we want to improve. Yes he had a good game today but all too often he is bullied out of challenges and is turned way too easily, plus at his age he is only going to decline.

Guest neesy111

goals change games, and we had 2 which should of counted

if owen's had counted we would of won it by at least 2 goals as the confidence would have came straight back with an early goal

What a load of nonsense.

"So you don´t agree that after scoring a goal (one goal) after 3 games without a goal we should try to score another?"

Yes I do agree that we should have tried to score another, and we did try. Glad we cleared that up.

Okey, let me refrase that then.......So you think that after scoring a goal after 3 games without a single goal we are more likely to score another than defending our lead with 30 mins to go? Well, I don't think so with our inability to score. Over n Out.

Positives for me :

Seriously HTL, Cacapa has to be replaced if we want to improve. Yes he had a good game today but all too often he is bullied out of challenges and is turned way too easily, plus at his age he is only going to decline.

Good points tbh, but I'm hoping his ability to read the game will make the difference.

What a load of nonsense.

Okey, let me refrase that then.......So you think that after scoring a goal after 3 games without a single goal we are more likely to score another than defending our lead with 30 mins to go?

3 games without a goal, two of which were away at the Emirates you mean?

Of course we should be trying to kill a game off at home against Middlesbrough.

Both teams were shit to be honest, although we had quite a few chances to put it to bed.

Boro fans are cute :laugh: Reckon we're a derby, play us every match for a draw and if they get it they do a little dance and act like they've won the league.

What a load of nonsense.

Okey, let me refrase that then.......So you think that after scoring a goal after 3 games without a single goal we are more likely to score another than defending our lead with 30 mins to go?

3 games without a goal, two of which were away at the Emirates you mean?

Of course we should be trying to kill a game off at home against Middlesbrough.

Don't see the point in this argument. When Boro scored we had nine men behind the ball.

If we'd been caught on the counter, I'd see where perineum was coming from. 

No, Martins actually has the exact same problem because he doesn't have the footballing brain to pick out spots to run into. Can't finish either, but he's ridiculously agile and has a f*** hard shot, so he gets random goals sometimes.

Agreed, Owen is frustrating but you know he will pop up with a goal. You don't have that confidence in Martins. I think we need 2 new strikers.

Precisely the opposite, imo. When Owen has one game plan and he sticks to it. You know what to expect from him. When he's playing poorly, he probably won't get a lot of goals. Granted, he's still a pretty skilled player so I'm not writing him off completely.

Martins on the other hand, even if he's shit for 89 minutes, you never know when that speculative midrange screamer is going to hit the net (at WHL last year), or when he'll twist and turn impossibly in the box to get a body part on the ball (3rd goal at Bolton on opening day).

That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to seeing him play under Keegan. I think Allardyce stifled him a lot with instructions not to shoot too much from outside the box etc. Even more than his pace Oba's greatest asset is his utter unpredictability. You never know where the goal's going to come from and even if he's not particularly prolific, that's absolutely horrifying for a defender to defend against.

without nit-picking, we should have had the game buried.  Plain and simple.

At 1-0 we had a a few decent chances but couldnt take them and got punished. To say we should have buried them is a bit daft as they were always in the game and, if anything, had the better of the chances.

No, Martins actually has the exact same problem because he doesn't have the footballing brain to pick out spots to run into. Can't finish either, but he's ridiculously agile and has a f*** hard shot, so he gets random goals sometimes.

Precisely the opposite, imo. When Owen has one game plan and he sticks to it. You know what to expect from him. When he's playing poorly, he probably won't get a lot of goals. Granted, he's still a pretty skilled player so I'm not writing him off completely.

Martins on the other hand, even if he's shit for 89 minutes, you never know when that speculative midrange screamer is going to hit the net (at WHL last year), or when he'll twist and turn impossibly in the box to get a body part on the ball (3rd goal at Bolton on opening day).

That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to seeing him play under Keegan. I think Allardyce stifled him a lot with instructions not to shoot too much from outside the box etc. Even more than his pace Oba's greatest asset is his utter unpredictability. You never know where the goal's going to come from and even if he's not particularly prolific, that's absolutely horrifying for a defender to defend against.

Martins is as much a confidence player as you'll see. He is erratic but when he's on his game, he's very hard to stop and he will score goals - Blackburn, Alkmaar, Watford last season, whenever we play Spurs. If Keegan can put that confidence in him, we can get back to that.