Nicky Butt your time is up

TRon

At least Butt is out against WBA :celb:

So maybe we'll see more creative midfield(Nacho or Zoggy) tomorrow...and whoever takes Butt's place hopefully performs good enough to keep Butt out of the starting XI permanently!

At least Butt is out against WBA :celb:

So maybe we'll see more creative midfield(Nacho or Zoggy) tomorrow...and whoever takes Butt's place hopefully performs good enough to keep Butt out of the starting XI permanently!

Is Nacho fit?He prob wont make even  the bench tbh,Kinnear prob doesnt have a clue about him.Its going to be Guthrie and Barton in the middle,not bad

from the journal today

NICKY Butt will miss tonight’s Premier League visit of West Bromwich Albion after playing through the pain barrier at the weekend. But interim manager Joe Kinnear is already looking forward to the day when he can pair Butt with the man who will replace him tonight – Joey Barton.

The 33-year-old has succumbed to a knee injury after playing with painkillers in Saturday’s Wear-Tyne derby. Kinnear is a huge fan of the ex-Manchester United midfielder and believes his defensive qualities should perfectly complement the more forward-thinking Barton.

“Nicky Butt has been one of best midfielders in the world and gives something as well – stability – and he’s tough as old boots whereas Joey is completely the opposite,” Kinnear said. “Joey is more offensive. He likes to drive forward and link up play in the last third.”

jesus christ

from the journal today

NICKY Butt will miss tonight’s Premier League visit of West Bromwich Albion after playing through the pain barrier at the weekend. But interim manager Joe Kinnear is already looking forward to the day when he can pair Butt with the man who will replace him tonight – Joey Barton.

The 33-year-old has succumbed to a knee injury after playing with painkillers in Saturday’s Wear-Tyne derby. Kinnear is a huge fan of the ex-Manchester United midfielder and believes his defensive qualities should perfectly complement the more forward-thinking Barton.

“Nicky Butt has been one of best midfielders in the world and gives something as well – stability – and he’s tough as old boots whereas Joey is completely the opposite,” Kinnear said. “Joey is more offensive. He likes to drive forward and link up play in the last third.”

jesus christ

:(

Would rather see Barton and Guthrie. Oh well, it might work.

Barton and Guthrie should start tonight and if we win it will make it difficult for Joe to change the side for the Villa match. Butt and Barton might work if you have two exceptionally quick and hard working wide men either side. Personally though I think Butt's too old and creaky to cover the ground like Guthrie would. Same goes for Geremi which is why i wouldn't put him in the middle either.

from the journal today

Nicky Butt has been one of best midfielders in the world and gives something as well – stability – and he’s tough as old boots whereas Joey is completely the opposite,” Kinnear said. “Joey is more offensive. He likes to drive forward and link up play in the last third.”

jesus christ

JK got it spot on!

Butt has hunger for Toon success

Nov 9 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NICKY BUTT, though a Manchester United legend, now has Newcastle in his heart — and his stomach.

But he has also had a bellyful of the frustration that comes with a life lived in or around St James’s.

The veteran midfielder feels at home enough now on Tyneside to name check his favourite local restaurant. “Munchies, near the ground, do great kebabs . . .”

And he sees so many similarities between the two Uniteds that the footballing gulf between them hits him like a kick in the guts.

Yet, though probably just 18 months from retirement, Butt still believes that Newcastle’s star can rise before the end of his stellar career . . .

And that beating teams like Fulham is proof of their upward trajectory.

“Yes. It’s a frustrating club to play for,” Butt admitted. “Frustrating for players, but more so for fans.

“At the end of last season and the start of this, we were thinking ‘wow, we’ve got a great manager here in Keegan, who everybody — players and fans — loves’, we bought some good players in Coloccini, Gutierrez and a few others, we drew against Manchester United and we beat Bolton.

“Yeah, we went to Arsenal and lost, but they can put three or four goals past anybody on their day.

“And you thought: ‘Buy one or two more decent players now, and we’ll definitely be up there’.

“But then all of a sudden, bang, Kevin (Keegan) goes and we get knocked straight back down. That’s the frustrating part of it.

“When I’m speaking to other people, ie my friends at Man United, I do get frustrated thinking: ‘Why are we in this position when we’re such a big club, with such a massive fanbase, and a club which has got money — we’re not in debt?’

“We’ve got everything going for us, yet we’re down there. If you look around the changing room at Michael (Owen) and Oba (Martins) and (Mark) Viduka — all these great players — you wonder what’s going on.

“Hopefully now we can turn the corner, touch wood. But we’ve said that so many times now . . .”

Thus, the need to see off today’s opposition and their ilk.

“Beating Aston Villa will count for nothing if we then don’t get a result against a team, no disrespect, like Fulham,” Butt added.

“But whatever happens on Sunday, this is a club that has moved close to my heart. You think: ‘If we can just get over that final hurdle, we can be good’.

“On our day, take away the top four, and we can beat anybody. If we keep people fit, we can easily be fifth, sixth or seventh in this league. But there’s a long way to go.”

Butt, however, has made a considerable journey in just winning over the Geordie public.

“I do feel a Newcastle man now,” he said. “It was a hard start for me and I went on loan to Birmingham. Then I had a choice whether to bail out or to stay here, and it was my choice to stay and work hard.

“I knew I was good enough, I wanted to prove it to the fans. I hope I have done that now.

“When you have been here for a while, the place does grow on you. It does get close to your heart. I want to help it be what it should be.”

Good interview from today's Sun. If he'd done a bit more of this during his time here then I'm sure he'd be more popular with the support. Seems to know the right things to say and comes across as fairly genuine with it.

He's moved up in my estimations in recent times, hope he has another good game today. :thup:

Must admit I'm his biggest critic (still can't forgive him after the FA Cup semi final tbh) however he had a decent game on Monday and him and Barton seemed to work quite well together. Hope it continues today.

• 1 month later...

That's because he's guaranteed one anyway:

Nicky’s contract was done from last year, he had to play I think 19 games to guarantee him a new contract – a one-year extension.

“He’s played 14* so I said to Nicky, ‘Why bother to wait for the 19? In my mind you will reach that target so just come into the office and sign it’.

“He said, ‘I’m happy to sign, I’ll be in on Monday morning’ – he was delighted.

(now *17 including two League Cup games and Pompey)

Guest The Libertine

1 more year as a squad player is fine by me. hopefully the new manager will see him as that and not a guaranteed starter.

Joe Kinnear is sounding a lot like Craig David at the moment: "New contract for Nicky on Monday, new contract for Shola on Tuesday, begged Michael on Wednesday and Thursday, Friday, Saturday, lost to Spurs on Sunday."