Nicky Butt your time is up

TRon

Don't doubt that we need to be looking for better ASAP, but still more use than most today, which is a crying shame.

I'll watch it again and see if he looks any better next time.

I'm not sure this is a game I could stomach again, to be honest, was considering doing the same.

The whole thing was fucking bollocks, to put it blunty.

I'm not sure this is a game I could stomach again, to be honest, was considering doing the same.

The whole thing was f***ing bollocks, to put it blunty.

I'll be more relaxed a second time but I'm not expecting it to be any better.  :lol:

I think the result today has obviously put him back under the spot light but he's been poor for a while now.

His major problem isn't his reading of the game or his challenging for the ball, it's his distribution. It amazes me how many times he wins the ball of the opposition, looks up, gives it back to them and then gives away a foul. It makes me wonder why it takes a derby defeat before people start realising he's a poor football player.

The whole thing was f***ing bollocks, to put it blunty.

I'll be more relaxed a second time but I'm not expecting it to be any better.  :lol:

Being away from home, I felt more relaxed than usual watching it, despite there being some gimpy Mackem fuckers in attendance. Still had my phone off all afternoon and been to sleep for most of it though, avoiding MOTD now too, haven't felt this low for a good while because of the football :blush:

Onwards and upwards and all that. Could be a "monsoon match" kick up the arse all over again, with a bit of luck.

Guest Heneage

I think the result today has obviously put him back under the spot light but he's been poor for a while now.

His major problem isn't his reading of the game or his challenging for the ball, it's his distribution. It amazes me how many times he wins the ball of the opposition, looks up, gives it back to them and then gives away a foul. It makes me wonder why it takes a derby defeat before people start realising he's a poor football player.

At the end of the day we've known he was shit for ages, we've said for ages he should be replaced, its one of the many areas we need to strengthen. If we truly want to go back to the days of Champions League football we need a deep squad something we've not got by any standard. His minds good but his poor speed and tackling is fucking us over constantly. Im starting to debate his reading of the game with examples like Everton and Hull penalties.

Guest Stephen927

Butts getting on and I think his days of playing week in and week out are gone and he should be used sparingly, not as a first team regular as he is now.

Wonder how comfortable Kinnear will be dropping him after making him captain.

Guthrie holding, Barton in a more box to box type role.

At the end of the day we've known he was s*** for ages, we've said for ages he should be replaced, its one of the many areas we need to strengthen. If we truly want to go back to the days of Champions League football we need a deep squad something we've not got by any standard. His minds good but his poor speed and tackling is f***ing us over constantly. Im starting to debate his reading of the game with examples like Everton and Hull penalties.

Yet some fans would still have him in the side. Why not drop Guthrie back into the deeper role and have Barton, Geremi or N'Zogbia playing attacking midfield, it can't be any worse can it?

People talk about needing a new attacking midfielder but a new defensive midfielder is just as vital. The defence will never improve until we are capable of at first winning and then retaining the ball in midfield.

Guest Heneage

Couldn't agree more, were wasting N'Zogbias talent away, no wonder he was willing to join Fulham. This is why my other thread about changes, theres no fresh ideas.

Guest Stephen927

I'd prefer N'Zogbia out on the wing but by playing him in the middle we at least have the option of having a player there who will run at defenders and create space for our strikers. Defensively I think we'd be a bit suspect as he isn't the best tracking back and we don't have a truly quality defensive midfielder who is dependable enough to allow N'Zogbia such an instrumental role through the middle.

I'd prefer N'Zogbia out on the wing but by playing him in the middle we at least have the option of having a player there who will run at defenders and create space for our strikers. Defensively I think we'd be a bit suspect as he isn't the best tracking back and we don't have a truly quality defensive midfielder who is dependable enough to allow N'Zogbia such an instrumental role through the middle.

We're a bit suspect with Butt in the team, maybe putting pressure on the opposition would help the defence.

Thought he was quality apart from giving away that freekick, personally, and people know I'm not a fan of his at all.

Thought he was quality apart from giving away that freekick, personally, and people know I'm not a fan of his at all.

If he was quality we wouldn't have gifted the mackems the midfield, for most of the 2nd half they just walked through us.

He was the only one winning the ball from what I could see. Guthrie was nullified after 3 minutes and should not have reappeared for the second half, the fact he "couldn't" risk tackling Diouf stitched Butt up as much as anything for the free-kick, then we made a fucking substitute as well. Criminal to make a change at this level when defending a set-piece of that nature.

Butt had a pain injection mid-match and was obviously carrying an injury, yet still put in a decent shift in what was a fucking terrible game.

I'm usually as blinkered as any about him after past events, but he was one of the few who impressed me today (along with Coloccini and the subs.)

He did win a few tackles but the ones he misses tend to cost us goals. Other than that his passing is telegraphed as bobyule has said, and quite often intercepted. His movement up and down the pitch is middle-aged so it's difficult to see what he brings to the team other than lower league commitment. He wasn't the worst player today, but he consistently offers the least week in week out.

Butt put in a good shift? are you kidding fella? i think you have forgotten what its like the have decent players? surely seeing barton come on today reminded you?

i dont get how people can see he won the ball or whatever? IDIOT!!!!!

I admit I haven't back read the 8 pages so apologies if this has been mentioned before, so. . .

He's conceded two penalties (almost identicle in position and clumsiness) which have cost us dearly. Yesterday he conceded the free kick that ultimately killed us.

He's costing us points at an alarming rate. 100% evidence that he's way past any usefulness to the Club.

I admit I haven't back read the 8 pages so apologies if this has been mentioned before, so. . .

He's conceded two penalties (almost identicle in position and clumsiness) which have cost us dearly. Yesterday he conceded the free kick that ultimately killed us.

He's costing us points at an alarming rate. 100% evidence that he's way past any usefulness to the Club.

Agreed. Barton and Guthrie have to start together, I'd have Geremi in the middle over Butt too.

Its not Butts fault, but howay he is getting on and still tires his best, I still say decent squad player and good enough to have on the bench.

Smith tries his best as well, and he's another waste of fucking space on the pitch.

Its not Butts fault, but howay he is getting on and still tires his best, I still say decent squad player and good enough to have on the bench.

Smith tries his best as well, and he's another waste of f***ing space on the pitch.

Butt is a much much btter player than Smith though, Hull want Smith anyway so one problem sorted :D

Smith tries his best as well, and he's another waste of f***ing space on the pitch.

Butt is a much much btter player than Smith though, Hull want Smith anyway so one problem sorted :D

I'm not sure Butt is much better than Smith anymore. He's been woeful all season imo.