Fitting in the Africans

KaKa

Still think the best strike partnership we have from the current squad is Smith playing just behind Martins.

Smith is a s*** targetman imo, too small and average in the air to be a strong aerial presence, but handy when dropping off and linking up because his touch is consistent. That compensates for Martins' inability to consistently link up with the midfield.

Bring Owen off the bench.

We've only missed Beye once since he has been gone.

Defending at the far post in the 86th minute vs Boro.

which cost us two points. not his fault he's short though but we could do without it.

Guest wuthering ballsack

At home:

Given

Beye Faye Cacapa Enrique

Duff Barton Emre N'Zogbia

Owen Martins

Away:

Given

Beye Taylor Cacapa Enrique

Duff Faye Barton N'Zogbia

Owen Martins/Viduka

Three would come straight back into the team if it was up to me. Beye for Carr, Faye for Butt, Martins for Smith. Say what you like about Martins' touch, finishing, passing etc, but the truth is at least he MOVES. He creates space for others, dragging defenders out of position etc. We're sorely lacking a bit of that.

I'd put Geremi on the bench, even though his name is almost blasphemy at the moment.

Although I think he's probably slightly better at Centre back, I think Faye would have a more positive effect on our team if he were to slot in at centre mid. That's where I'd put him for the time being, until we've bought in someone who can boss a game from there, and he can drop back to his natural position.

At home:

Given

Beye Faye Cacapa Enrique

Owen Martins

Away:

Given

Owen Martins/Viduka

You can't play different sides home and away. Breeds inconsistency imo.

At home:

Given

Beye Faye Cacapa Enrique

Owen Martins

Away:

Given

Owen Martins/Viduka

Agree. Should stick to one first XI, especially now, when we've got so many new players, they need to play together. If keep the spine of the team for a few seasons, then we could consider playing slightly different teams home and away

Guest justin99.

I like having Zoggy at left back. Thought he and Duff had some great interplay.

i'd stick Taylor in the reserves though

Still think the best strike partnership we have from the current squad is Smith playing just behind Martins.

Smith is a s*** targetman imo, too small and average in the air to be a strong aerial presence, but handy when dropping off and linking up because his touch is consistent. That compensates for Martins' inability to consistently link up with the midfield.

Bring Owen off the bench.

Smith creates very very little, though. If we are happy pretending that our second striker doesn't have to score goals (although this puts a fucking ridiculous amount of pressure on the other striker, as you'd want 25 goals from the front pair, ideally), then he MUST create chances for the main striker.

But although Smith wins some headers, etc, he's shit at actually directing them anywhere.

I don't know why we persist withthe myth that Smith is a good enough player, just waiting to be given his "right" position. He's been crap in every position he's played for us, with three (from memory) decent halves in total so far.

Keegan really has to be smart with the return of Faye, Beye and Martins.

His decisions will determine exactly how well the remainder of our season goes and to be fair he will have some tough choices to make, and he will have to be brave.

Beye is the easiest decision, as he should slot straight back into the right back position.

Now comes the hard part ...

Faye, I think he has to go in at centre back. We have nothing else like him back there. An absolute beast and a huge presence for us, he dominates in the air and he never gets rattled or bullied off the ball, he actually scares other teams strikers. He sets the tone in defence and everyone plays with a bit more confidence back there when he is in defence.

There is certainly an argument to have him in midfield due to the patheticness of Nicky Butt, but for the moment I think it is more important to have a stronger back four, to allow for a more competent midfield unit. Here's what I mean ... I believe with Faye in defence we will be able to better afford the probable risk of playing both Emre and Barton together in midfield and we absolutely have to give this partnership a chance now. I think this partnership in midfield will be our only real chance to wake up our attacking play, and Faye in defence will be crucial to this.

Last of all ...

Martins, the time is now to play Martins and Owen upfront. With Barton and Emre in midfield, this partnership will have a chance I believe it's time we just went with it. I'm tired of waiting for that moment of brilliance for the huffing and puffing Viduka, and I'm tired of watching Alan Smith try and fail to convince everyone he is committed, by fouling every defender in sight. Martins should be the first striker on the pitch, his overall attributes are vital to a team that lacks speed and dynamic play. Of the remaining three strikers Owen is the best bet to partner Martins. He has been making more of an effort I believe, and he can still be a danger in the box. Martins can do the hard work of pressuring defenders and running the channels, as well as being a goal threat, and Owen can then just concentrate on being in the right spot in the box.

Here's hoping it all works out.

Pretty much think you have that spot on. Faye is a difficult one though. Our next match against Villa you'd have to put Faye CB against Carew as he'd easily overpower Cacapa from what i've seen so far. Taylor could possibly stop Carew but i'd feel safer with Faye.

Viduka i'm sorry i just dont rate + last time we played Villa he was in Laursens back pocket, i don't think i've seen a player so dominated, Shola looked more dangerous when he came on in the last 10 mins. Martins has to play imo its just who with and since Owen put the ball in the net twice on Sat i'd opt for Owen, Smith and Shola on the bench just in case.

V Villa at the moment:

Given

Beye  Taylor  Faye   Enrique?

Milner    Barton   Emre   Duff   

Martins  Owen     

Subs Harper, Cacapa, Geremi?/Smith, Lua Lua, Ameobi

p.s. Zoggy's suspended i think.

Fit them straight in.... no matter what formation  Beye,Faye and Martins should all start, Carr has been much improved but Beye is a better player and his extra height is needed.

Could play Carr on the wing though until Milner has worked out how to cross and how to cross early.

---------------Given

Beye----Taylor------Cacapa----Enrique

Carr-----Barton-------Faye------Zoggy

----------Owen-------Martins

OR

------------------Given

-------Beye------Taylor-------Cacapa-------

Milner-----------------------------------Duff

-------------------Faye

-------Barton-------------------Zoggy

---------Owen----------Martins

Nice to see a lot of people going for Owen/Martins up front... I really think with KK's aim of playing 'proper' football these two can form a good partnership.

Best option we have, if  we can keep the ball on the deck that is, they would never work together under Big Sam;s long ball game but under KK they may just end up being a great partnership..

Maybe we should try Beye as a  centreback with Faye. Geremi has been great at rightback before. It would be interesting to try it.

Geremi---------------Beye---------------Faye----------------Enrique

I'd rather we played the defenders in their favoured position tbh, which means Faye at CB and Beye at right back. Beye offers a lot of attacking threat from right back, and we could really do with that right now.

Butt needs to be dropped straight away. His tackling is good but his passing is causing us a lot of problems.

I'd go with this:

......................Given

Beye.......Taylor....Faye........Enrique

Milner.....Geremi/Barton...Emre....N'Zogbia/Duff

..............Owen.........Martins

I would like to see how Milner would play in a more central role, so for a more attacking option we could try this:

..................Given

Beye.....Taylor...Faye.....Enrique

Duff......Milner...Emre....N'Zogbia

...........Martins..Owen

I agree that he hasn't done much wrong defensively but he offers no threat going forward and nothing from set-pieces either. The height, pace and crossing ability of Beye add another dimension to our play

I would'nt say he offers nothing going forward, a lot of the time he is way up the pitch backing up play and ends up being caught out for his over commitment. Beye is still a better player though and should  be in before Carr.

I agree that Beye and Faye should go straight back into the side, but in all honesty Carr hasn't played badly since his return.

Carr hasn't done badly but we will keep conceding goals at the far post if he stays in the side.

Faye in Midfield for me too

We need some steel in there and somone who can actually head the ball other than stright up in the air like Butt does!

Team would be.....

Given

Beye  Taylor Cacapa Enrique\Zog

Faye

Emre        Barton          Duff\Zog

Martins      Owen

Guest wuthering ballsack

At home:

Given

Beye Faye Cacapa Enrique

Owen Martins

Away:

Given

Owen Martins/Viduka

It's hardly MAJOR changes is it? Just a tweak here and there, but mainly the same side.