The Goalkeeping Situation

ChrisJbarnes
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

noones going to deny given has been poor this season, weve conceded a lot of goals, however what should/will be the situation next season?

given is and always will be a legend, but harewood seems to have knackered him, along with old age.

harper is reliable as a deputy, but is he good enough to be our first choice keeper? hes been better than given this season, but not great. if he was good enough to be a first choice, surely he would have gone by now?

krul looks like a great future one, but will he be good enough to start next season?

and of course theres new keepers but who can we sign?

I think it's probably the least of our problems. Not that I think our options are world class, but the transfer money is desperately needed everywhere else on the pitch.

Krul and Soderberg are too young and inexperienced, that said I'd like to see what Krul does for us in the pre-season. Harper and Given are on a pretty similar level really, Harper seems to be making less mistakes when hes had the chance though.

Guest NorwegianMag

any good Norweigens around Harry?

Nah, not many good norwegian goalkeepers. We have Jarstein, but he rejected us.

I thought Harper was good today - made two excellent saves from Gardener in the space of two minutes, harsh to blame him for the third, it was the defence not clearing it in the first place that was to blame.

I thought Harper was good today - made two excellent saves from Gardener in the space of two minutes, harsh to blame him for the third, it was the defence not clearing it in the first place that was to blame.

Harper doesn't let us down once he's had a few games, he should never have been dropped earlier in the season.

The amount of space yous had on those set pieces you mention was ridiculous, especially on the 3rd goal.

Harper doesn't let us down once he's had a few games, he should never have been dropped earlier in the season.

the only problem is that we didn't do what City did when they dropped Isaksson, a world class keeper for Hart & Kasper & Weaver etc, but our managers seem to prefer the "more famuos" keeper :\

We are not desperate for goalkeepers, and so transfer money should be spent elsewhere in the team. Considering Given's rapid loss of form/fitness or whatever has happened to him, i really don't see too much difference in any of the 3 keepers we have. Krul, Harper and Given all have their weaknesses but im not too bothered about which of them ends up in goal. Harper deserves a turn now though.

Guest toonlass

With Shay's game having gone to pieces since the horror tackle at West Ham last season, Steve Harper unable to hold his place in the team whenever Shay is fit, and Tim Krul having quite a successful loan spell at Falkirk(until his shoulder injury), should we continue on with Given, or should a new man be our regular keeper, even if that means bringing someone new in? I think that we should make changes next season, either bring in Krul or bring in a new keeper that can inspire confidence into our defenders.