The Greatest Player Newcastle's Ever Produced?

Tooj

Steve Harper.

I know you're trying to be zany, but please tell me that you're joking as in you think he's from Newcastle.

I don't know where he's from, thought it was Newcastle or surrounding areas but obviously not. Not sure what your problem is with me.

I said Steve Howey, and he's a Mackem. Thought you would all be up in arms tbh.

I ignored that out of blind rage. ;)

What about Wallsend lad Albert Stubbins?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/01/07/db0702.xml

Albert Stubbins

Last Updated: 10:29pm GMT 06/01/2003

Albert Stubbins, the former Newcastle and Liverpool footballer who died on December 28 aged 83, was the leading scorer in the unofficial club matches played during the Second World War; his photograph was also used on the cover of The Beatles' album Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

When war broke out, League football was suspended, and was not resumed until autumn 1946. Many players thus forfeited seven years of their career. Stubbins took full advantage of the weaker standards of the regional leagues that soon sprang up to make his name.

Playing for Newcastle, Stubbins scored 237 goals in 218 matches, including four hat-tricks in consecutive games in 1941. His prolific strike rate alerted other clubs to the talents of the red-headed, muscular centre-forward and one evening in the late summer of 1946, while sitting in the Newcastle News Theatre, Stubbins found himself summoned to the St James's Park ground by a message flashed up on the cinema screen.

When he arrived, he found representatives from both Liverpool and Everton. He tossed a coin, talked to Liverpool chairman Billy McConnell first, and agreed to sign for a club record £12,500. He scored on his debut, against Bolton, and that season - the first of League soccer after the war, and one prolonged until mid-June by dreadful winter weather - Stubbins was a key figure in bringing the championship to Anfield.

Feeding on the service of winger Billy Liddell, both Stubbins and Jack Balmer scored 24 goals in the league, with the former claiming the vital second goal in the 2-1 win at Molineux that allowed them to overhaul Wolves right at the end of the season.

Stubbins enjoyed another year and a half of free-scoring for Liverpool, but once he entered his thirties his marksmanship seemed to decline. He played for Liverpool in the 1950 FA Cup final against Arsenal, who beat them 2-0, but he was starting to lose the confidence of the club, and in 1952 he left, having scored 83 times in 180 appearances.

One Liverpool fan who still treasured him, however, was the young Paul McCartney, and in 1967 he paid tribute to Stubbins by incorporating him in the montage of creative talents assembled on the sleeve of the Sergeant Pepper LP. Stubbins is sandwiched between G B Shaw and Albert Einstein, looking over the shoulder of Marlene Dietrich.

Albert Stubbins was born in the North-East, at Wallsend, on July 17 1919. On leaving school, he trained as a draughtsman and played amateur football first for local sides and then with Sunderland. In 1937 he was signed for Newcastle, then struggling in the Second Division, by Tom Mather, who had brought through Stanley Matthews at Stoke.

Stubbins was an exemplary leader of the line. His technique was said by some observers to be as good as that of the great Alex James, and he was tall, fast, alert and brave. He is still fondly remembered at Anfield for one full-length diving header against Birmingham in an FA Cup tie in 1947 on a frozen pitch. The effort - a late run to connect with a low free-kick of Liddell's - left him with two lacerated knees, but brought him his hat-trick.

Before he moved to Liverpool, Stubbins played a handful of games with the young Jackie Milburn, who with Len Shackleton would replace him as the side's spearhead. When Stubbins left Anfield in 1952, it was Milburn who persuaded him to turn out for a non-league North-East side, Ashington, which Stubbins also later briefly managed. He then had a spell in New York, coaching a soccer team there in the early 1960s. Afterwards he returned once more to Newcastle, establishing himself as a sports journalist.

Stubbins played for England once, in a "victory" international against Wales in 1945.

His wife Anne predeceased him. He is survived by a son.

Stubbins is a good shout Mick - great player and a big lad too ; saw him at SJP in 1992 when he was presented to the crowd as the week's former start player during our promotion season.

However, for sheer natural ability, it has to be Gazza - never seen a kid of 17 with so much talent when he made his debut against Spurs & forced their keeper(was it Clemence?)into a brilliant save from a free kick.

Could have been the bedrock of the England side for years if he had anything like a sensible brain - even in Euro 96(on the downward path then), he scored that great goal against the Scots, and what about the one at Wembley against the Czechs some years earlier...he had almost everything except common sense!!

Beardsley was very close behind but he didn't quite have Gazza's outrageous talent - made up for it with his stability.

If you think of players like these, I find it ludicrous that on another thread, some people are saying English players are rubbish & over-rated - they may be now, but who is to blame for that ? I give you a generation of teachers and politicians who have made a career out of running down everything about the UK and making it their business to ensure the place has no discipline or tough laws....there are no demands on kids to have high standards and PLEASE don't try to give me all the c--p about 'excellent A level passes' etc etc...the standards today are pathetic and modern A Level students couldn't even attempt the old O Level GCEs - 20% come out of school illiterate and that also applies to their physical standards, hence poor young footballers..

Is anyone trying to tell me that they wouldn't want the likes of Gazza, Beardsley, the Charltons, Bobby Moore, Colin Bell etc etc etc in ANY English club side , because if so - COBBLERS.

Some on here, too young to remember, should be told that it took until 1968 before W.Germany, WC holders in 1954, managed a 1-0 win over England....results since have not been great have they, so why do people think that is ? A German super race, or something!? No, its because of the crap system both in schools and coaching of youngsters together with a culture of non-expectation.

As a player who was also prolific abroad, when eventually departing for big money on the Continent, Waddle deserves a mention as well.

The package of having the 'core strength/centre of balance' necessary to ride a challenge and the ability to dribble the ball at speed is a rarity, and i haven't seen many to rival Waddle. Perhaps Giggs deserves mention in this regard.

On the players i've seen i'd go with Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle........ with a slight leaning toward the first two.

If you are including the surrounding area then there isn't a contest, Bobby Charlton is by far the greatest player to have come from this region.  To say otherwise is either total shortsightedness or sad man u bitterness, for f*cks sake the man was brilliant, the heartbeat of teams that won the european cup and world cup

Alternatively,if you are talking about players of my generation that I have seen then on a sheer talent basis its Gazza but for all round quality its Shearer.

Stubbins is a good shout Mick - great player and a big lad too ; saw him at SJP in 1992 when he was presented to the crowd as the week's former start player during our promotion season.

However, for sheer natural ability, it has to be Gazza - never seen a kid of 17 with so much talent when he made his debut against Spurs & forced their keeper(was it Clemence?)into a brilliant save from a free kick.

Could have been the bedrock of the England side for years if he had anything like a sensible brain - even in Euro 96(on the downward path then), he scored that great goal against the Scots, and what about the one at Wembley against the Czechs some years earlier...he had almost everything except common sense!!

Beardsley was very close behind but he didn't quite have Gazza's outrageous talent - made up for it with his stability.

If you think of players like these, I find it ludicrous that on another thread, some people are saying English players are rubbish & over-rated - they may be now, but who is to blame for that ? I give you a generation of teachers and politicians who have made a career out of running down everything about the UK and making it their business to ensure the place has no discipline or tough laws....there are no demands on kids to have high standards and PLEASE don't try to give me all the c--p about 'excellent A level passes' etc etc...the standards today are pathetic and modern A Level students couldn't even attempt the old O Level GCEs - 20% come out of school illiterate and that also applies to their physical standards, hence poor young footballers..

Is anyone trying to tell me that they wouldn't want the likes of Gazza, Beardsley, the Charltons, Bobby Moore, Colin Bell etc etc etc in ANY English club side , because if so - COBBLERS.

Some on here, too young to remember, should be told that it took until 1968 before W.Germany, WC holders in 1954, managed a 1-0 win over England....results since have not been great have they, so why do people think that is ? A German super race, or something!? No, its because of the crap system both in schools and coaching of youngsters together with a culture of non-expectation.

Agree that Gazza was better than Beardsley.

As a player who was also prolific abroad, when eventually departing for big money on the Continent, Waddle deserves a mention as well.

The package of having the 'core strength/centre of balance' necessary to ride a challenge and the ability to dribble the ball at speed is a rarity, and i haven't seen many to rival Waddle. Perhaps Giggs deserves mention in this regard.

On the players i've seen i'd go with Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle........ with a slight leaning toward the first two.

Waddle is considered a God in France.

Guest Knightrider

My 9 year-old nephew who is top scorer for his junior side, despite playing in midfield, despite only playing football on a serious basis for 2 years. Fantastically skillful and runs rings around everyone, even adults. Two footed, brave, team-leader, just a real joy to watch him do Cruyff turns, stepovers, his own unique tricks that he's developed, and the sheer confidence he displays on the ball. He has a game tomorrow, better than watching the Toon or any pro player any day of the week. Already got scouts watching him and he'll be training with NUFC in the summer I think, or against them (academy level). But he's going nowhere until he's old enough to figure out for himself, we'll keep him away from the vultures at pro clubs. If he's good enough he'll make it with or without academy involvement. If not, who cares, he's playing for the sheer fun of it and that's what it's all about as a kid.

Waddle is considered a God in France.

And rightly so.

Gazza edges it from Beardsley, Shearer, Bryan Robson and Bobby Charlton. He had the ability to produce something really exceptional.

In his Spurs days, I can remember him scoring a hat-trick, all from free kicks outside the box. He didn't hit any of them with great power, but curled them into the corners in a way that gave the keeper no chance. There's an element of luck with free kicks, and to defy the odds like that is what set Gazza apart.

Why is this a question?

Shearer.

Great STRIKER but not in Gazza's(or Pedro's)class as a footballer - he would probably tell you that himself.

Milburn was also a better footballing CF than Shearer.

The question is "greatest player" not "greatest footballing-skiller"

Anyway, since when is hammering in goals like a madman not a "fooball skill." It's not just about fancy dribbles and passes.

Why is this a question?

Shearer.

Great STRIKER but not in Gazza's(or Pedro's)class as a footballer - he would probably tell you that himself.

Anyway, since when is hammering in goals like a madman not a "fooball skill." It's not just about fancy dribbles and passes.

Since when did strikers score goals that they had ALL created by themselves..??

Ask Andy Cole how many goals Pedro made for him...

If you had to pay to watch a goal-less game, whoi would you rather be watching - Gazza or Shearer ?

Why is this a question?

Shearer.

Since when did strikers score goals that they had ALL created by themselves..??

Ask Andy Cole how many goals Pedro made for him...

If you had to pay to watch a goal-less game, whoi would you rather be watching - Gazza or Shearer ?

Thankfully, I don't pay to watch goal-less games.