Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Only striker I'd swap for Martins is Rooney. Both are young, talented and have to some extent proven themselves in England. Mind, Van Persie is that as well, but don't think he'd fit in our current squad.

"Do you (all fans) think Martins stand out amongst the following forwards? Would you swap Martins for any of them? Is Martins better than them? Or worse? IF, we didn't get Martins, would you be happy for us to get any of these forwards?

Saha, Rooney (the current low key Rooney), Schevchenko (the current low key Schevchenko), Berbatov, Kuyt, Van Persie, Adebayor, Anelka, Johnson, Yakubu, Keane, McCarthy, Tevez, Bent"

I WOULDN'T SWAP HIM FOR ANY OF THIS LOT, MAYBEES ROONEY....

OBA IS CERTAINLY WOTH WHAT WE SPENT ON HIM AND A DAMN SIGHT MORE IF YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT WE COULD HAVE BOUGHT FOR THAT IN ENGLAND!

Guest teepee

berbatov is not as good as martins - oba is so fast and at times unpredictable that he is a more dangerous front man imo

Martins can be best on planet

Mar 13 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Antoine Sibierski is confident he will soon be playing alongside one of the finest strikers on the planet after insisting Obafemi Martins has the abilities to establish himself at the peak of his profession.

Newcastle's number nine took his goal haul to 16 with a spectacular brace during last week's Uefa Cup win against AZ Alkmaar. And as Glenn Roeder's side prepare to travel to the Netherlands for Thursday's second leg, Sibierski believes his team-mate's talents will ensure progress to the quarter-finals.

Having been tormented by the Nigerian at St James's Park, a team trailing 4-2 will have identified Martins as the greatest threat to their chances of getting back into a finely-balanced last-16 tie at the DSB Stadion.

And Sibierski expects such recognition to be universal before long after predicting that the 22-year-old will soon be recognised as a goalscorer of genuine world standing, should he continue to perform as he has been doing.

"Everyone in Europe knows about Obafemi Martins - everyone in the world knows about him," said the Frenchman, a player who has watched with interest as the unpredictable African has found his feet at St James's Park. "He needs to be consistent and to play like he did against AZ in every match and, if he can do that, he will become one of the very best strikers in the world.

"He's already one of the best strikers in Europe, in my opinion, and he has been a great signing. He's on course to score 20 goals in his first season here. That would be a great achievement and it would give him even more confidence."

Martins made a difficult start to his career in the North-East following his £10m move from Inter Milan and, when Roeder predicted a player who inherited Shearer's legendary shirt would break the 20-goal barrier in September, it looked a vain hope.

Yet the Nigerian has confounded his critics and repaid his manager's faith and, having found the net six times in his last seven games, it is obvious he has got to grips with life on Tyneside. "Some people were a bit worried at the start of the season but he just needed some time like any player does when he first goes to a new club," said Sibierski, who will be part of the United squad that heads to Holland tomorrow morning. "He's a fantastic striker, a great player.

"He's a goalscorer, he can trick anyone and he has great pace. He has to be selfish sometimes but, if the best thing to do is to pass the ball, he passes the ball. We have to use Oba. Michael (Owen) is still injured, Shola (Ameobi) is still injured and I'm not the same striker as Oba, he's more of a striker than me. We have got to play for him.

"He has to score the most goals and it's up to us to help him do that. The best thing we can do whenever we get the ball is to play him in and get him running."

Let loose against AZ last week, Martins terrorised Louis van Gaal's defenders and, although Alkmaar's two away goals mean the Dutch are confident of overturning a 4-2 deficit on home soil, United will believe they can score to put the tie out of reach. Martins will be Newcastle's best hope.

"AZ will be worried about Oba," said Sibierski. "But I think they were worried about him before the first game because they will have known all about him.

"It's fantastic for the players to have someone like him around us and it can only be good for Newcastle." United have also been buoyed by Emre's return to action in recent days. The Turkish international made his comeback as a substitute against AZ last week and a player troubled by injuries and accusations of racist abuse could have a major role to play in Holland.

"We're all really happy to have Emre back," added Sibierski. "He's a very good player technically and he's a clever guy, an intelligent player. He can give the ball whenever he wants, wherever he wants and we are really pleased to see him back."

Meanwhile, Roeder has told the club's Premiership rivals to forget about trying to snatch any of his young stars.

French midfielder Charles N'Zogbia has been linked with Arsenal, while reports at the weekend suggested Chelsea could be interested in England Under-21 defender Steven Taylor, who has previously been touted as a target for Liverpool and Tottenham.

Taylor, 21, has established himself back in the Magpies' defence after recovering from surgery on a dislocated shoulder last season, and will have a key role to play in the Uefa Cup campaign with Oguchi Onyewu ineligible in Europe.

Roeder and number two Nigel Pearson have been working closely with Taylor, and while they insist he still has a lot to learn, the manager is adamant his future lies on Tyneside.

He said: "Chelsea have not been in contact with us. No club has spoken to us about Steven Taylor - and if they did, they would be wasting their time. There is no chance of Taylor leaving this club while I am manager.

"We are trying to build a squad of players here, not dismantle one, and youngsters like Taylor and Charles N'Zogbia are the future."

Taylor, like the rest of his team-mates, was given the weekend off with no senior fixture on the calendar, but returned to training yesterday to begin preparations for Thursday's clash with Alkmaar. The Magpies know a clean sheet will book their place in the quarter-finals after last week's 4-2 victory.

AZ failed to score in their Eredivisie fixture against Feyenoord at the DSB Stadium on Sunday and 0-0 would suit Roeder. Chief scout David Mills was at the game but Newcastle already knew what to expect from their hosts after a thrilling first leg, which they might have won more comfortably only for the visitors to score a potentially vital second away goal after being awarded a controversial penalty.

Roeder and his squad will fly from Tyneside tomorrow morning, and there are unlikely to be any new faces on the plane.

Celestine Babayaro, Craig Moore and Peter Ramage are back in training but not yet at the point where they could be considered.

berbatov is not as good as martins - oba is so fast and at times unpredictable that he is a more dangerous front man imo

Sorry but what Berbartov lacks in pace compared to Martins, he more than makes up in intelligence and technical ability.

Guest teepee

Sorry but what Berbartov lacks in pace compared to Martins, he more than makes up in intelligence and technical ability.

i dont agree - berbatov is a good player, but for me martins is a step ahead, and has the potential to be quite a bit better than berbatov.

i dont agree - berbatov is a good player, but for me martins is a step ahead, and has the potential to be quite a bit better than berbatov.

Think we will have to agree to disagree as I can't understand how you can say Martins is a cleverer or technically better player than Berbartov?

I like Martins and he is very quick, powerful and has scored some good goals - I believe Berbartov scores goals but also contributes in other ways to the team, has intelligent movement off the ball and helps bring other players into the game - something Martins does not do as much of at present.

Berbatov is diffeent kind of player to Martins, to compare them against eachother is daft. Both have great talent but Berbatov is the more brighter thinker, a more clever player, where as Martins is more direct with pace and power. Together they would make an awesome front 2.

Berbatov is diffeent kind of player to Martins, to compare them against eachother is daft. Both have great talent but Berbatov is the more brighter thinker, a more clever player, where as Martins is more direct with pace and power. Together they would make an awesome front 2.

Agree with that

Guest Knightrider

Agree with that

Same here, although I think of the two Martins because of his age and raw abilities, has the potential to produce more and go on to greater heights, with or without us.

• 1 year later...

berbatov is not as good as martins

:lol:

The manure fans I know aren't that impressed, they reckon he doesn't do anything for the vast majority of the time he's on the pitch and to be fair, apart from a couple of great moments he's hardly set the world alight since he's been there, has he?

Guest chris1210

In all seriousness, Martins is about the most unintelligent striker i think i've ever witnessed with my own eyes. His waste of energy and his pointless runs that don't stand a chance of being played a ball to make him unbelievably frustrating to watch.

Another in a long line of players who come to NUFC and don't improve. I really don't see how he is even slightly better than when he signed. He has always had the ability to terrorize with his pace, and has a fantastic shot on him.... but his one big flaw, his intelligence and movement, don't seem to be worked on, or can't.

I think he's a good player, but it would take a very very good manager to improve him to the level of someone like Berbatov.

In all seriousness, Martins is about the most unintelligent striker i think i've ever witnessed with my own eyes. His waste of energy and his pointless runs that don't stand a chance of being played a ball to make him unbelievably frustrating to watch.

Another in a long line of players who come to NUFC and don't improve. I really don't see how he is even slightly better than when he signed. He has always had the ability to terrorize with his pace, and has a fantastic shot on him.... but his one big flaw, his intelligence and movement, don't seem to be worked on, or can't.

I think he's a good player, but it would take a very very good manager to improve him to the level of someone like Berbatov.

Yes I would definitely agree I would start Berbatov ahead of Martins every time at Newcastle.

The manure fans I know aren't that impressed, they reckon he doesn't do anything for the vast majority of the time he's on the pitch and to be fair, apart from a couple of great moments he's hardly set the world alight since he's been there, has he?

I didn't say anything that disagrees with what you've just posted though did I?

I didn't say anything that disagrees with what you've just posted though did I?

I guess not. :dontknow:

I guess you've never seen Ameobi "play".

I really think all our troubles stem from not having a midfield that can set up forwards.