Newcastle United 1 - 5 Manchester United - 23/2/08 - post match from page 26

James

Guest marky555

Awful today apart from the first 20 or so minutes

No communication between any of the players, simple shite mistakes constantly

Fucking embarrassing

To be fair, Manchester United did just as well against us when we finished 3rd under Sir Bobby.

no they did not

Ok, we scored a few more goals, but we still conceded the same.

we didn't concede 11 against them in the space of 6 weeks

Because the extra 12 weeks makes a huge difference :rolleyes:

We could say thats worse in fact, as we had the extra time to sort out the defensive unit.

We lost 5-3 away but in that game we put a good fight. A great fight I'd say. Some poor defensive mistakes cost us the game but they didn't play us off the park.

They did in the 6-2 game but we scored first and looked threatening.

In both the games this year we've been played off the park and we probably deserved worse if I'm honest.

At least in the two beatings that year I thought the scoreline reflected the game. If it wasn't for Harper it could have been 7+

Guest jcricthon

I really can't agree that Duff was any good today. He isnt quick or direct enough, he loses the ball, he doesnt know which way to run, who is where etc.

To be fair, Manchester United did just as well against us when we finished 3rd under Sir Bobby.

no they did not

Ok, we scored a few more goals, but we still conceded the same.

we didn't concede 11 against them in the space of 6 weeks

Because the extra 12 weeks makes a huge difference :rolleyes:

We could say thats worse in fact, as we had the extra time to sort out the defensive unit.

don't be so fucking ridiculous, they've absolutely anihilated us twice this season, that didn't happen under SBR

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

playing well today: first and foremost habib beye.  also owen, duff, steve harper, andy carroll

s****: butt, taylor, and smith through and through, barton mostly, and horrible horrible shambolic moments from faye, and zogz

special recognition to Kevin Keegan for horrific selections

and were punished very soundly by a squad with mountains more class.

Disagree:

Habib Beye was poor, couldnt handle Ronaldo. Its easy to say many players cant, but Beye has been dodgey all season with regards to giving his winger too much space on the flank and hence relying on the recovery tackle. Petrov murdered him earlier on in the season, Ronaldo just had an easy ride. Beye is a good defender all round, but this is a major flaw in his game, you just cant give top wingers that sort of room to attack.

Owen - f*** all. Too slow now to be effective at this level. He used to be a top forward, hes now mediocre when hes not scoring, and hes hard to set up because he lacks the pace to trouble defenders.

Duff - at least he can run with a bit of pace, has decent technique, and doesnt loose the ball easily. But hes a feeble, wimp of a player now - if hes through down the wing, his pace seems to evaporate and he produces a s*** cross, if he has a chance to score his shooting is weak. Decent overall, but its pathetic how some people still consider him a good player. Average at best.

Harper - conceded 5. Could have done better on some of the goals, so I wouldnt say he played well.

Caroll - did nothing except win a corner by barging a player over and heading the ball into the ground.

Some good points.  I thought Beye tackled well, at least looked the most sound of any of our defenders for a greater amount of time.  He's been abused in other games, but I thought his positioning and tackling were miles above anyone else.

Owen had some edge to him today, and while agree that it was not enough to be dangerous, part of his failure was that nobody recognizes him when he makes a run.

Harper, better than Given at least with his distribution and communication.  His defenders put him on an island about 7 times, and he did come up with some good reactions.

Carroll: Conceded, but I'd really like to see him get some more burn.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

as for duff, i think he showed today that he can be a dangerous player, but he can't do it alone and needs a bit more support.  wasn't part of the rationale for zogz at LB that he would be able to provide support for duff?  ah, fuck it, there is no rationale to that tactical decision.

For the first time in all my time of supporting nufc, the possiblity of relegation is a real possiblity, the only teams that are nailed on to go down are fulham and derby in my book, even Reading have a bit of bollocks about them. We've had a stupidly hard run and i dont know the future fixtures but the confidence in our teams is rock bottom, at present its hard not say that we arent in free fall. There is still 10 games left, its a horrible thought, the major issue that i can forsee for the future, is that our organisational fallacies wont be hidden until our atacking unit becomes first rate, this is the biggest task Keegan faces and as it stands i dont think that a team in our position will be able to attract the type of player that Keegan needs in order to make it a reality!

I'm quite glad i got odds of 20-1 on us to go down a few weeks ago. I imagine they're a lot shorter now. Simply depressing and abysmal performance. Again.

You bet on us to go down? Shameful.

I agree but we really are that shite nat the minute. I really hope we dont but we are in big, big trouble and its very depressing.

playing well today: first and foremost habib beye.  also owen, duff, steve harper, andy carroll

s****: butt, taylor, and smith through and through, barton mostly, and horrible horrible shambolic moments from faye, and zogz

special recognition to Kevin Keegan for horrific selections

and were punished very soundly by a squad with mountains more class.

Disagree:

Habib Beye was poor, couldnt handle Ronaldo. Its easy to say many players cant, but Beye has been dodgey all season with regards to giving his winger too much space on the flank and hence relying on the recovery tackle. Petrov murdered him earlier on in the season, Ronaldo just had an easy ride. Beye is a good defender all round, but this is a major flaw in his game, you just cant give top wingers that sort of room to attack.

Owen - f*** all. Too slow now to be effective at this level. He used to be a top forward, hes now mediocre when hes not scoring, and hes hard to set up because he lacks the pace to trouble defenders.

Duff - at least he can run with a bit of pace, has decent technique, and doesnt loose the ball easily. But hes a feeble, wimp of a player now - if hes through down the wing, his pace seems to evaporate and he produces a s*** cross, if he has a chance to score his shooting is weak. Decent overall, but its pathetic how some people still consider him a good player. Average at best.

Harper - conceded 5. Could have done better on some of the goals, so I wouldnt say he played well.

Caroll - did nothing except win a corner by barging a player over and heading the ball into the ground.

Harper conceded 3 not 5 and made a couple of very good saves. Nowt else he could do.

don't be so f****** ridiculous, they've absolutely anihilated us twice this season, that didn't happen under SBR

Newcastle 2 Man U 6

That DID happen under Sir Bob - I cant recall the away game - wasn't it 3-0 ?

We've had a stupidly hard run and i dont know the future fixtures but the confidence in our teams is rock bottom

It's not just that - it's the GUTLESSNESS of the players that worries me.

Even the makems are showing  bit backbone.

Our lot are NOT.

We face a relegation fight - don't see how anyone can deny it now to be honest. The players aren't playing for the club/badge and they certainly aren't playing for the manager. Yes confidence is low, but it's no excuse for what went on not only today but in the past 10 games. 6th highest wage bill in the Premiership and look what we get in return - total $hite. Bedlington Terriers could beat us at the moment - that's how bad we are.

It's going to be an awful run in to the end of the season - real edge of the seats stuff. I hope KK starts by consigning the likes of Smith, Butt and Barton to the reserves never to be seen again. Simply not good enough.

I'm quite glad i got odds of 20-1 on us to go down a few weeks ago. I imagine they're a lot shorter now. Simply depressing and abysmal performance. Again.

What will you do with your winnings, buy yourself a Mackems top?  :angry:

Jesus, why don't you put a quid on nuclear war to break out and the FUCKING WORLD TO END while you're at it.  :rant: :rant:

Guest jcricthon

Jesus, why don't you put a quid on nuclear war to break out and the f****** WORLD TO END while you're at it.  :rant: :rant:

No need for Nuclear warfare....if we go down the world WILL end!

Smith is not a shite player. Barton is not a shite player. He was brilliant for Manchester City. Duff is not a shite player.

There is something seriously wrong with our club when so many players who are good for former clubs sign for us, and are suddenly shite. Viduka is another example, scoring about 20 goals last year, shite this year. I agree that these players are not playing well enough at the minute, but there has to be another reason for their shiteness this season, because good players do not become bad players overnight.

Slowest team ever.... even more ponderous than McGhee, Aitken, Stimson, Brock and co.

I can't believe you've just typed that, even worse that you're probably right.  This team reminds me of when bobby Shinton top scored with 7 goals.