So......where is Enrique?

Zero

I think he is actually quite clever attacking but has a little too much confidence in his ability at times. Will get better.

Certainly our best left back since..... erm..... well I loved Bernard in his prime for us but he was quite dodgy at times (defending).

Enrique isn't the greatest defender in the world either. He's not BAD, by any means, but he's better on the attack.

T'other way round I'm afraid.

As I said the day we signed him:

He's a defender first and foremost. Very good positional awareness, and a good communicator across the back.

I can't understand why they're letting him go (if it is indeed true).

:)

Taylor's been peddling the "Enrique is shit" line all season like many hacks who write their report based on what they expect and what they want rather than what they see. It's worse from her because she has an extra axe to grind, especially after her brave boys were humiliated again yesterday.

many in the media seem to think Beye is crap too, after the Reading match one of the pundits on SSN said newcastle played so well that "Even Habib Beye is starting to look like a bit of a player".  :rolleyes:

Taylor's been peddling the "Enrique is shit" line all season like many hacks who write their report based on what they expect and what they want rather than what they see. It's worse from her because she has an extra axe to grind, especially after her brave boys were humiliated again yesterday.

many in the media seem to think Beye is crap too, after the Reading match one of the pundits on SSN said newcastle played so well that "Even Habib Beye is starting to look like a bit of a player".  :rolleyes:

Aye, someone in the pub mentioned that yesterday. :lol:

How do these people get work?

Certainly proved me wrong after a few car crash performances earlier in the season. Good player.

Honestly Which were his car crash performances? Liverpool at a push....

I can't remember any winger giving him a really tough time.

Always believed in the lad even though early on in the season at worst his performances were average.  The reasons why I believed this is because he has the attributes to be a top left back e.g. well built physique and strength, height (useful against opposition trying to play the cross field ball over the full back) , pace, good control and passing.

He's not afraid to bring the ball forward to start of attacks (his drbbling is good as he has a turn of pace and good ball control). He links up well with midfield and the strikers with ball to feet or the ball over the top for Martins. Plus his reading of the game is pretty decent as well.

I think that the "Enrique is shit" line was born out of Allardyce starting N'Zogbia in front of him at left back. And that says more about Allardyce than Enrique.

Note that the first change that Nigel Pearson made made after Allardyce was sacked was to return Enrique to the starting 11. And Keegan brought in Enrique almost immediately after he had a chance to watch him train and play. Pretty obvious to anyone who actually bothers to watch him  (Allardyce excepted),  that he's class.

Edit: But, then, Allardyce did buy him didn't he.  :laugh:

Certainly proved me wrong after a few car crash performances earlier in the season. Good player.

What's his name again? You know, that Man Utd player ...

OH, you mean the one that got a tough time off Enrique so switched flanks and pissed on Carr instead?  :pow:

OH, you mean the one that got a tough time off Enrique so switched flanks and pissed on Carr instead?  :pow:

Exactly, Enrique had Ronaldo in his pocket for most of the game, if only Beye had been playing right back the same probably would have happened on the other side when Ronaldo switched..

Taylor's been peddling the "Enrique is s***" line all season like many hacks who write their report based on what they expect and what they want rather than what they see. It's worse from her because she has an extra axe to grind, especially after her brave boys were humiliated again yesterday.

Aye, someone in the pub mentioned that yesterday. :lol:

How do these people get work?

They do a two year apprenticeship selling Chronicles on Northumberland street then they get a job as a tabloid (or in some cases a broadsheet) sports reporter.

I have been impressed with all of our defenders lately, Faye looked shakey v Pompey at times. I am really taking to Enrique, I think he can develop into a top Premiership player. Looks a bit rash at times but this is his first season (half of it being fucked around).

Thinks are looking really promising.

Interesting stuff from Keegan in today's Chronicle:

Enrique is good in some areas but needs to improve in other areas, and although he's still young he'll have to improve, as Keegan intends to buy a left back in the summer.

Enrique is good in some areas but needs to improve in other areas, and although he's still young he'll have to improve, as Keegan intends to buy a left back in the summer.

I think even though Enrique is quality it would be very wise to add another LB in the summer, we don't have any decent cover in that position at the moment.

Plus competition for places is always good.

I think even though Enrique is quality it would be very wise to add another LB in the summer, we don't have any decent cover in that position at the moment.

Plus competition for places is always good.

will be Riise

Needs to work on his positioning but that like most young defenders will only get better with age & experience.

Heat is on for ace Jose Enrique

Apr 22 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United boss Kevin Keegan has predicted a big future at St James’s Park for his £6m left-back Jose Enrique.

But he warned the likeable Spaniard today that one of his close season targets will be a left-back.

And it would not surprise me in the slightest if Keegan was looking at the situation at the club where he is still legend – Liverpool – and wondered about John Arne Riise, with the Norwegian no longer an automatic choice at Anfield.

Apart from stressing how important it is to tie Michael Owen down to a new contract, this is the first time Keegan has talked about any of his summer plans.

With Charles N’Zogbia out in the cold and in any case preferring to play in midfield, and after the departure of Celestine Babayaro, Enrique has been given the chance to stake his claim for the United left-back berth – and he has grabbed his opportunity with both hands.

In fact, if you discount N’Zogbia, then the 22-year-old Enrique is United’s only senior left-back and this is something Keegan is very much aware of.

Speaking about Enrique, Keegan told me today: “It’s a bit of a mixed bag at the moment. The good things are good, and there are things he needs to learn, but he’s still only 22.

“Jose’s already doing some very good things, and his English is improving.

“He’s young and he’s come into the Premier League. He’s come into a club which has struggled, and that’s always difficult for any player.

“Jose is picking it up now, but I’ve still got to sign another left-back, as I’ve only got one at the club.

“That’s not to say I don’t fancy Jose, I do( :la:) but I need another left-back.”

Whether that other left back turns out to be Riise remains to be seen. The 68-times capped Norwegian international seems to have been on the scene for a long time after joining Liverpool from Monaco for £4.6m in 2001.

But he is still only 27 and he has the quality that Keegan is looking for.

I believe Keegan has already had one disappintment as far as his summer plans are concerned with the decision of the verstaile West Brown to sign a new four-year contract with Manchester United at Old Trafford, as the England defender was one of his main targets.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/04/22/heat-is-on-for-ace-jose-enrique-72703-20799495/

Needs to work on his positioning but that like most young defenders will only get better with age & experience.

I think his positioning is his strength. Weird how people can see completely opposite things in players.

I think his positioning is his strength. Weird how people can see completely opposite things in players.

His positioning is excellent.

For me all he lacks is experience.

Me as well. NM reckons he's good going forward but not so good defensively. If anything it's the opposite imo.

Is that Taribo West Brown we missed out on btw?