With Owen's contract running out..

Unbelievable
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Stephen927

Would offer him a new 3 year contract on £60,000 a week at the very most.

Can't see him accepting anything below £80,000 though. Depends how confident he is of finding a new club who'd be willing to pay that kind of money.

Forget what Owen is on now, is he really worth even 60k a week?

Over a 4 year contract, that's 12 million pounds in salary alone.

I thought it was meant to be something more like £105,000 a week ???

Forget what Owen is on now, is he really worth even 60k a week?

Over a 4 year contract, that's 12 million pounds in salary alone.

I thought it was meant to be something more like £105,000 a week ???

Is there just me who cannot for the life of me believe he's on that much? I think the papers just make it up based on what other players might be on.

Guest rebel_yell12

Owen's weekly wages change more often than David Beckham's hairstyle, if you read the papers.  I've seen everything from 90k to 125k per week "quoted" in papers.  The most commonly cited though is about 100k per week.  Which sounds ridiculous (I make a fifth of that in a year), until you realise that loads of players are on even more -- Terry, Lampard, Gerrard are all on I think 120k per week, for example.  Yes, 100k is high -- but no longer ridiculously so in today's Premiership. 

For those saying Owen should have his pay reduced -- why?  I'm not being pissy, just genuinely curious.  I don't get my pay reduced at work (and I'd quit or be given a damn good reason if it was tried).  I manage a raise annually, actually.  Why should Owen -- who is only 28 and by summer may have a sustained run of fitness and form -- take a pay cut for the privilege of remaining at Newcastle (who are currently 13th)?  This is not a club that can tell quality players to f*** off with impunity, sorry to say (I think only Arsenal and ManUtd can do, tbh).  So, what are the reasons for demanding Owen (or any player) take a cut in pay?  He's been injured, not sh** for the last two years, hence his lack of goals as return on the investment.  It's unfortunate, but not Owen's fault either. 

I'd like to see him re-signed, then if he is sold over summer the contract is worth more -- Newcastle have nothing to lose (his contract certainly won't be worth LESS if he's been re-signed than not) if they want to sell, or if they want to keep him.  If he'd genuinely been sh**, fair enough. 

Owen's weekly wages change more often than David Beckham's hairstyle, if you read the papers.  I've seen everything from 90k to 125k per week "quoted" in papers.  The most commonly cited though is about 100k per week.  Which sounds ridiculous (I make a fifth of that in a year), until you realise that loads of players are on even more -- Terry, Lampard, Gerrard are all on I think 120k per week, for example.  Yes, 100k is high -- but no longer ridiculously so in today's Premiership. 

For those saying Owen should have his pay reduced -- why?  I'm not being pissy, just genuinely curious.  I don't get my pay reduced at work (and I'd quit or be given a damn good reason if it was tried).  I manage a raise annually, actually.  Why should Owen -- who is only 28 and by summer may have a sustained run of fitness and form -- take a pay cut for the privilege of remaining at Newcastle (who are currently 13th)?  This is not a club that can tell quality players to f*** off with impunity, sorry to say (I think only Arsenal and ManUtd can do, tbh).  So, what are the reasons for demanding Owen (or any player) take a cut in pay?  He's been injured, not sh** for the last two years, hence his lack of goals as return on the investment.  It's unfortunate, but not Owen's fault either. 

I'd like to see him re-signed, then if he is sold over summer the contract is worth more -- Newcastle have nothing to lose (his contract certainly won't be worth LESS if he's been re-signed than not) if they want to sell, or if they want to keep him.  If he'd genuinely been sh**, fair enough. 

Because he doesn't deliver £100k's worth of football skill every week.  The people who are earning that much, tend to players who justify far more than Owen does.

How much is Gerrard on? surely Owen can never command a wage higher than Gerrard.

Does anyone really think he'll take a pay cut?

Does anyone think that extending his contract at the end of the season will be accomplished by offering him half as much as he's on already?

Owen holds all the cards. He'll not extend for less money, his value will be minimal by virtue of being into his final year - he'll secure his wage level by letting his contract run down to nothing.

He'll (continue to) rape this club one way or the other.

Believe you me, if you were making anything like the money Owen is on and your performance at work dropped, you'd be out on your arse quicker than you can say past it. There's no way Owen deserves anything like that much unless he remains injury free for the rest of his contract, and scores every second game.

He's worth keeping if we can use him as a bench player. Someone to come on and bag a goal when the opposition are tired, and then start when the first team strikers need a rest or are injured.

But he'll naturally think hes to good for that, for us anyway, as no doubt hed be happy that sort of role for someone like Chelsea or ManU.

As a first teamer, hes just not what we need right now, and for the forseable future. We cant build a side around a weak injury prone forward who has lost his pace and needs intricate service in and around the 6 yard box in order to score, on top of needing the other 10 players being good enough to carry him whilst hes being invisible in his 90 minute bid to pop up once or twice out of the blue on the end of a half chance.

I'll also be very suprised if Keegan wants him in the team next season (praying we stay up, although if we get relegated Owen will be off anyway). Would Keegan's views from 2000 have changed much, considering Owen is half the player he was back then?

To be fair, the only time I was really worried about him being fit was while Oba was away at the ANC and to his credit he's stayed fit. It hasn't done us much good points-wise but that's another story.

Guest rebel_yell12

Right, so....a few logical reasons out there, I think.  I'm still not sure how one decides who is worth how much per week if it's not based on how much it would cost to replace said player -- and who of quality would want to be at Newcastle right now?  They'd probably demand huge wages for the "honor" of playing for Newcastle right now, as well.  The general gist is that Owen should be willing to take a 50% wage cut because he's been injured, in order to retain the great privilege of being a Newcastle player.  The trick of that being -- is it a privilege at all?  NUFC are 13th, in shambolic form, there's been nothing but upheavals for the past three years, and the fans (judging from this board) hate him and want rid.

If I were Owen, I'd take my wage cut (he's done it before, going to Madrid) and find a new employer.  If he's fit, someone will be interested.  Probably not one of the big four (unless perhaps Liverpool have a new manager) but someone will be looking to move up a class -- one of the next tier of clubs (Everton, Blackburn, etc.) I think.  If the lad's going to take a pay cut, he might as well go to a decent club (arguing his/his agent's case there).  

hakka -- Gerrard is on 120k a week, I believe, at Liverpool.  So, no, Owen does not make what Gerrard does (at least, not in wages).  Nor does he make what Terry or Lampard do at Chelsea, just for a few other players off the top of my head.  There are many players making more than 100k a week in the Premiership.  

Believe you me, if you were making anything like the money Owen is on and your performance at work dropped, you'd be out on your arse quicker than you can say past it. There's no way Owen deserves anything like that much unless he remains injury free for the rest of his contract, and scores every second game.

Well, Owen's on a good run of fitness (his best since arriving at the club) and has scored three times in the last seven matches, twice in the last three -- that's movement towards your goal for him, wacko.  So...if he stays on that pace, and fit until the end of the season, everyone still wants to just get rid?  I just don't see the logic in not re-signing him.  Even if Newcastle want to sell, his contract is worth more if it's been extended.  You'd rather sell for say 6 mil over this summer, because his contract has one year left, than re-sign him and have the contract be worth more like 12 mil (depending on his form and the prospective buyers).  

I'm a bit bias on Owen's behalf (I never deny this) but I'm still surprised at the vehemence against him here.  He's been one of the best since Keegan's arrival and his own return to fitness (finally).  It's been one match since he last scored.  His work rate was high, he looks committed and he's even tracking back into midfield to pick the ball up and contribute to defence.  If Owen's not doing enough to earn a place, who is?

And tmonkey -- the fact is Owen IS too good to be on the bench behind Smith, Viduka, Ameobi or Carroll.  Those are the options Newcastle have.  Who would you rather play?  When on form he's too good to be benched for Martins either (personally, I'd play them together).  Hell, on form, Michael Owen is too good to be in a squad that's 13th in the Premiership.  He's proven his quality over nearly eleven years in top flight football.  The only thing he has to prove now, in my opinion, is an ability to stay fit.  Once he's proven that, there will be clubs willing to risk his wages for the services of a top quality striker.  Newcastle just needs to decide if they want him available for 6 mil or 10-12.