Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

I think you're both right actually, we don't have enough scouts and as a result they're told to stick to the markets where we've had some success in terms of value.  It's baffling that we're so shortsighted but it's another thing to add to the list with this club at the minute. 

Can't be arsed with it anymore, people at work ask me about next season and I tell them 11/1 for us getting relegated is amazing value, otherwise I'd rather talk to them about their clubs like Chelsea or whoever the fuck it is.  Totally losing interest, everything we do is flawed and unambitious.

I think you're both right actually, we don't have enough scouts and as a result they're told to stick to the markets where we've had some success in terms of value.  It's baffling that we're so shortsighted but it's another thing to add to the list with this club at the minute. 

Can't be arsed with it anymore, people at work ask me about next season and I tell them 11/1 for us getting relegated is amazing value, otherwise I'd rather talk to them about their clubs like Chelsea or whoever the fuck it is.  Totally losing interest, everything we do is flawed and unambitious.

If true, and given there is only the one source, signing Gomis can only be a positive regardless of the short sightedness of our transfer policy (of which I totally agree with).

It's never going to change though, if anything Carr busted his flush too early with his 'value signings'.

If true, and given there is only the one source, signing Gomis can only be a positive regardless of the short sightedness of our transfer policy (of which I totally agree with).

It's never going to change though, if anything Carr busted his flush too early with his 'value signings'.

Agree it would be a positive signing this chap, would still be surprised if we're significantly stronger in forward positions next year though. If Jonas lines up as winger for us again next year then someone wants shot. The Cisse thing is a fucking nightmare too.

Exactly the same with me :thup:, was very self-concious around Nov-Feb that I was essentially repeating myself every Monday about why we'd lost or whatever. Anyone asks me how I think we'll do this season and I tell em of the tenner at 14/1 I put on us going down when Kinnear gave the famous TalkSport interview.

I didn't realise it was still 11/1 like, depending on who leaves/comes in I may well follow up with a bit more cash.

The French league offers the best mixture of technical ability and physicality at a cheap price.

It's not that we only have one f***ing scout :lol:

Although when your club is appointing the likes if jfk you never know...

It's only got so many good players. Sooner or later you end up scraping the barrell when other teams beat you to the good stuff. Spain? Holland? Belgium? Germany? South America? Balkan countries? why can't we expand our market, there's talent to be found everywhere as teams like Udinese prove by leaving no stone unturned. And with the TV money English clubs have an advantage over more or less everybody.

If we've got more scouts then why aren't the finding other players? Why do we keep going back to one small shortlist of Ligue 1 players that have contracts situations we can exploit?

Agree with this - penny-pinching probably to blame again..

France have won the WC ONCE - in their own country, just like England....

The French league offers the best mixture of technical ability and physicality at a cheap price.

If that's true - and frankly I don't watch French football so I can't argue - why have nearly all the French players we've brought in lack physicality?

That's another reason we shouldn't be concentrating on one league. It's difficult to judge how much a player can impose himself on the game when he's up against those of similar limitations.

I am not sure about the "lack of physicality" since Essien and Drogba were also from French football. 

Im not exactly over the moon if we get Gomis, but im very happy that we're getting a striker in at least. If we do sign him i think he will score goals and probably surprise many of us even though we might get frustrated at times as he can be hit and miss. But his record is good and we need strikerS. Hopefully we can get Remy or someone like him in as well AND keep Cissé =/

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bafetimbi-gomis-come-me-plea-5162560

Bafetimbi Gomis has urged Newcastle United to make his move to St James’ Park a reality – but his arrival could spell the end of the road for Papiss Cisse.

The Chronicle understands Gomis has made it clear to his advisors Newcastle would be his “preferred move” and the 27-year-old striker is eager to join the Magpies’ French legion.

Lyon ace Gomis has been told good things by his fellow countrymen about life on Tyneside. Chroniclelive confirmed talks between United and Gomis were under way yesterday and, with Gomis’ current deal into its last 12 months, a knockdown fee is likely.

The 6ft centre-forward – who has rattled in more than 100 goals in Ligue 1 – is ready to taste life in the Premier League.

Aston Villa had been credited with interest in Gomis but the ex-St Etienne man sees Newcastle as a good move at this stage of his career.

However, United’s business in recruiting attacking impetus is unlikely to end there.

Newcastle are working hard to bring in both Gomis and a second striker, with wantaway QPR striker Loic Remy’s representatives still talking to United about resurrecting the move to the North East which fell down in January.

Darren Bent’s departure from Aston Villa could also be accelerated after Christian Benteke’s dramatic U-turn resulted in him signing a new deal at Villa Park.

United boss Pardew is still keen to bring in the former England striker.

Pardew, who normally refrains from talking about targets unless their clubs make it clear they have no future there, told the Chronicle: “The Lyon president has come out and said we are involved with Gomis – and I can confirm we are.

“Bafetimbi is a player we think could do very well for us. He is on our sights.”

With Remy also interested in a move to Newcastle, the arrival of two more French internationals cannot be discounted.

Pardew said “We are trying to strengthen our attacking area. In midfield and at the back we are comfortable.

“I really feel there will be a player or two who moves on because of a little overload in midfield.”

Dan Gosling is the man who is likely to make way in the engine room, the Devon-born midfielder hoping to secure a move to Crystal Palace.

Hatem Ben Arfa has again been linked with Liverpool, but by last night the Reds were yet to make an approach.

Chronicle understands.. :lol:

Really do hope we get Remy, fingers crossed. That would mean we'd have 4 good players able to play the CF role (provided that Cissé stays and we get Gomis, unlikely though)

And Remy could playe the left forward with good backup.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/10560926._/

NEWCASTLE UNITED have opened talks with Bafetimbi Gomis after turning to the France international in an attempt to address their striker shortage.

With Aston Villa refusing to lower their £8m valuation of Darren Bent, Magpies officials are hoping to conclude a swift deal for Gomis before Alan Pardew and his players return from a two-game tour of Portugal in the middle of next week.

A fee of around £4m is understood to have been agreed with Lyon officials, and the French club’s chairman, Jean-Michal Aulas, has granted permission to speak to Gomis and his representatives.

Scott Wilson understands...

A good fee if thats true and shouldn't really hamper alot of other negotiations. Allthough wage wise I believe both Gomis and Remy would want a fair share.

Gomis has never played outside of France yet so his wages should be easier to negotiate... Remy's are going to be the sticking point now that he's on big money at QPR...

A good fee if thats true and shouldn't really hamper alot of other negotiations. Allthough wage wise I believe both Gomis and Remy would want a fair share.

Gomis has never played outside of France yet so his wages should be easier to negotiate... Remy's are going to be the sticking point now that he's on big money at QPR...

Playing in France might be, but believe Lyon got alot of money after having monopoly on the league title for so many years.

I can't be arsed reading the last ten pages, is this guy more of a 442 than a 433 striker. And if we played 433 is he capable of playing out wide?

Big central striker, good in the air, and decent hold up play, never seen him play out wide and doesn't have the attributes to do so.

Haven't seen a vast amount of him but that's what I get from him.