Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

I'm staggered how many people like Leon Best on here.

Strong lad who did all the hard work for his strike partners and pitched in with some excellent goals and some memorable performances. His hat trick on his full league debut, or the turn and strike vs. Fulham at home a few seasons back amongst others.  We've not recovered since his departure in terms of striker depth, so that alone is enough to justify positive thoughts about the guy.

http://i.imgur.com/WQ3pgQJ.jpg

Strong lad who did all the hard work for his strike partners and pitched in with some excellent goals and some memorable performances. His hat trick on his full league debut, or the turn and strike vs. Fulham at home a few seasons back amongst others.  We've not recovered since his departure in terms of striker depth, so that alone is enough to justify positive thoughts about the guy.

:thup:

I like Leon Best like, should never have been sold.

I like Leon Best like, however, I wouldn't want him as our first, second, or even third striker now.

At the time I felt £4m was a very decent sum for him depending on the youngster who we could bring through or buy in to replace him.

I like Leon Best like, however, I wouldn't want him as our first, second, or even third striker now.

At the time I felt £4m was a very decent sum for him depending on the youngster who we could bring through or buy in to replace him.

Have I missed an influx of signings?

He would probably start more games than not at the moment (if he remained fit) :lol:

Have I missed an influx of signings?

He would probably start more games than not at the moment (if he remained fit) :lol:

If we fail to buy another striker, you might have a point, but I don't see that as likely.

As I say, I like him, but he'll need to do better than 4 appearances in a year and start banging them in left right and centre for Blackburn before I start to get all misty eyed and wish he was part of our future again.

Seen a lot of praise of Leon Best on here recently and I liked him as much as everyone else and really didn't want him to leave (especially as we didn't replace him) but wasn't the problem that he picked up a lot of injuries? He was out all season for Blackburn last year too. Admittedly it was a knee injury that can happen to anyone but still :)

Leon Best was crap, better than Shola but crap and people would be going ape-shit if he was still with us.  He hasn't scored a goal since January 2012, partially because of injury, partially beacuse he's crap.  1 goal in 13 games or 2 in 25 games is what you would expect from a defender or midfielder, not a forward.

Guest Howaythetoon

Best was a decent option for us and a good foil for Ba. He worked hard, scored a few goals and linked up play well. In short he never let us down. As a squad striker, he was value for money.

I've always thought of him as the French Shola Ameobi. :anguish: Although, to be fair, that was years back when he was at St-Etienne/early Lyon days. He's improved since then but I still  don't rate him that highly. Average finisher but is strong and has presence about him.

Don't know much about him to be honest but from the clips I've seen he scores goals with his head as well as feet and has been pretty consistent - at least 10 goals a season.  I'll take it.

There are reasons, you know.

His hat trick against west ham  :sweetjesus:

I always quite liked Best - scored some good goals, few assists and always gave 100% on the pitch.  Would have sold Shola over Best any day of the week.

Best was surprisingly a lot better than anyone thought he was going to be. Useful player and missed a great deal last season. When Cisse was misfiring we could have had him step in and get goals. I think it's that more than anything, we all know he was limited but had he been here he'd be our second best striker by some distance.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone lament Best leaving when he left? Or are we just now waxing lyrical because our striking options are so pitiful?

Similar to perch. Not a problem is upgraded and replaced but absolutely pointless if not