Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Haven't seen that much of him but quite a few on here seem quite negative about us signing him?

I always thought he was decent if not spectacular but if we do get him for £4m surely that's a good deal? I mean I've seen him play well in the champions league on numerous occasions and if it goes through he will be an ACTUAL SIGNING! :)

Guest bimpy474

Bimpy, you Pardew sympathising scumbag.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/shocked/grand/shocked_gif.gif

Would have been pretty disappointed with this signing at the end of the season, partly because I don't rate Gomis that highly and partly because it signifies a return to 4-4-2 -which doesn't suit a lot of our players. Now, with Darren Bent looking like our only other striking target, I don't feel quite so negative about it. Would be delighted with Gomis + Remy but can't see it happening.

Hope we get him, no idea whether he'll be good or not but a) he can't be worse than Shola and b) we desperately need a lift, some fresh blood, some positive impetus from somewhere and a signing would definitely provide that.

Guest Alan_Shearer

This guy's not good enough, overall career scores 1 in 3 games, 1 in 2 in last 2 seasons, in the french league, won't be good enough in the prem.

This guy's not good enough, overall career scores 1 in 3 games, 1 in 2 in last 2 seasons, in the french league, won't be good enough in the prem.

What sort of goal return would you have liked to see in the last two seasons to prove that hes "good enough" ? 50 goals in 50 games?

Should we sign him he should score goals for us.

1 in 2 in any of the major six or seven leagues in Europe I would consider to be at worst a good record, at best a phenomenal record. What are you after, some computer game striker with over a goal a game average? Get real, man. :lol:

Gouffran had a worse record in France and is clearly good enough.

For the bench, yeah. Not a starting role.

I am not particularly keen on this signing. I rate lopez as the better lyon striker and I would actually choose gignac ahead of gomis. Of all of them though i cant understand why we did not get aubameyang at 13 million euros when we are looking at having to spend 9.5 on gomis, i mean the quality is incomparable.

I am not particularly keen on this signing. I rate lopez as the better lyon striker and I would actually choose gignac ahead of gomis. Of all of them though i cant understand why we did not get aubameyang at 13 million euros when we are looking at having to spend 9.5 on gomis, i mean the quality is incomparable.

It was beyond us when Dortmund came in. I'd even say we had close to no chance when he went on that goalscoring run 2nd half of last season.

Would suit the way we played last season better than Cisse did. At worst he would be the second best striker at the club. Haven´t bothered to read back too much, but it seems someone finds this link negative as well? Christ...

I don't think he's particularly great from what I've seen. Obviously much better than Shola and a bit more of a goalthreat than Gouffran but not exactly a worldbeater, guess this is what happens when you limit yourself entirely to one market and the cream goes elsewhere.

Would take without being ecstatic.

There will be time his style would suit us a in 4-4-2 or times when his physicality will suit us in a 4-3-3. He's a good striker with experience in Europe. People sometimes drive me mad, like we can be so choosy when clearly we have several boxes to tick before we go after a player. I'm just as happy if we sign Gomis as I would be Bent. It improves our squad no doubt and all things being equal - Cisse resolving his issue with the sponsorship and staying - great for our depth. If he goes, then we need another.

The further we are away from throwing Shola on to the pitch, the better, and this is coming from someone who likes (not rates) the man. Meaning no disrespect to the Mackem Blaster.