Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Has anyone bid above 8 million euros for Gomis?  The French football guy (David Crossan) on twitter said that it is hard to see any club going above our bid.

OL president confirmed 3 clubs had offered their valuation a couple of weeks ago, thought to include Swansea and Cardiff.

Are we accepting his word as gospel or might that be just another tactic to try and squeeze more money out of us?

I may be naive here, but I don't understand how we can already have agreed personal terms with him, hence why he's apparently set on joining us over other clubs, if we haven't even agreed a transfer fee with his club?

Yes you are being naive players constantly agree personal terms via their agent before fees are agreed.

Always happens.

I may be naive here, but I don't understand how we can already have agreed personal terms with him, hence why he's apparently set on joining us over other clubs, if we haven't even agreed a transfer fee with his club?

Yes you are being naive players constantly agree personal terms via their agent before fees are agreed.

Always happens.

Maybe. I wonder what the reaction would be from the club and on here if somebody did this (agreeing personal terms with player and trying to lowball us into accepting less than we could get from other clubs) with one of our players...

Has anyone bid above 8 million euros for Gomis?  The French football guy (David Crossan) on twitter said that it is hard to see any club going above our bid.

OL president confirmed 3 clubs had offered their valuation a couple of weeks ago, thought to include Swansea and Cardiff.

Are we accepting his word as gospel or might that be just another tactic to try and squeeze more money out of us?

swansea moved onto Bony anyway, he'll obviously not go to cardiff or the other team so it's rather irrelevant who met their value in the past

all comes down to them gambling we'll fold and us doing the same...so it'll most likely be shola for the start of the season lads

We've clearly been learning negotiating tactics from San Lorenzo  :lol:

Nah, that's a whole new level altogether. Imagine Aulas' face if we indicate we want Gomis for free.

We've clearly been learning negotiating tactics from San Lorenzo  :lol:

Nah, that's a whole new level altogether. Imagine Aulas' face if we indicate we want Gomis for free.

i.e. January 1st when we wave the lucrative pre-contract deal in front of him en route to Bafetembi's agent, while offering that "if he's nice" we might just be willing to 'do a Sissoko' and give him 1.5m to take the player 6 months early.

Assuming we're not bottom of the table in the meantime with 5 goals scored  :okay: gonna be a long 6 months lads

Guest bimpy474

SSN saying our offer is still on the table fwiw. Not withdrawn.

How mighty considerate of us.

I hate to say this but i think we've got this one right, nearly 28, last year of his contract, Lyon want rid. There's no way we should pay more than we are offering.

But i do understand we need a striker badly we have to accept paying more than we think we should sometimes, whether this player is worth doing that for is another matter.

I hate to say this but i think we've got this one right, nearly 28, last year of his contract, Lyon want rid. There's no way we should pay more than we are offering.

But i do understand we need a striker badly we have to accept paying more than we think we should, whether this player is worth doing that for is another matter.

I just hope we have identified other options. Could handle bringing in players with potential around 21/22 for 4/5 million really. I just hope they don't decide to go with what we have, would be massive mistake I reckon.

Brinkmanship 

Monday brought further tales that United had withdrawn their second bid for Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis, which had failed to meet his current club's valuation.

The player has a year left on his contract with the French club and went AWOL last week, having not featured in pre-season and only trained briefly with the Lyon's U19s.

United's other alleged striking target Loic Remy has been spotted in pre-season training at QPR but also failed to appear in any of their five friendly fixtures.

That would suggest that Remy won't play in Saturday's season opener against Sheffield Wednesday but it's still unclear whether the club stopped from appearing or he has downed tools. The fact that Remy is on bail until September on a rape charge may indicate the former.

Were we to acquire either of the players, they'd not be in position to contribute straight away when the real stuff gets underway and millions of £s are potentially at stake for every precious Premier League point.

Is Newcastle's "tough negotiating stance" not a false economy therefore, especially if they become embroiled in yet another final day transfer window farce? 

Guest bimpy474

But i do understand we need a striker badly we have to accept paying more than we think we should, whether this player is worth doing that for is another matter.

I just hope we have identified other options. Could handle bringing in players with potential around 21/22 for 4/5 million really. I just hope they don't decide to go with what we have, would be massive mistake I reckon.

That's the problem, i dont think we ever have other targets. We really are a "all our eggs in one basket" club. That's why i said sometimes we should pay more. In this case i dont because of his contract and situation with Lyon.

I just think our lists of mulitple players for a certain position never exist. Despite what Pardew says.

That's the problem, i dont we ever have other targets. We really are a "all our eggs in one basket" club. That's why i said sometimes we should pay more. In this case i dont because of his contract and situation with Lyon.

I just think our lists of mulitple players for a certain position never exist. Despite what Pardew says.

when we pulled out of the douglas deal (apparently) was there not something along the lines of kinnear saying that they'll sign the player that's right regardless of whether there are cheaper alternatives?  sure i remember something like that

joe talking shite again for a change then

That's the problem, i dont we ever have other targets. We really are a "all our eggs in one basket" club. That's why i said sometimes we should pay more. In this case i dont because of his contract and situation with Lyon.

I agree. It would be good to get a hold of some players with potential in that 21/22 bracket but don't think we are even looking at that age, also think we do scout one or two players for ages and take our eye off the ball with other players. Far to much risk reduction going on by continuously monitoring to the point we have a certain degree they will succeed. We need to take chances at times, can't always guarantee success

Honestly it's at the point where the extra million or two we're holding out for is madness again. We've pinched pennies far too long and we damn well need some new players in.

Guest bimpy474

when we pulled out of the douglas deal (apparently) was there not something along the lines of kinnear saying that they'll sign the player that's right regardless of whether there are cheaper alternatives?  sure i remember something like that

joe talking shite again for a change then

Tbf this one is a bit different, were just tight all round. We have our valuation and we stick to it, even if it means cutting our nose off, to spite our own face.

Guest bimpy474

I agree. It would be good to get a hold of some players with potential in that 21/22 bracket but don't think we are even looking at that age, also think we do scout one or two players for ages and take our eye off the ball with other players. Far to much risk reduction going on by continuously monitoring to the point we have a certain degree they will succeed. We need to take chances at times, can't always guarantee success

It does seem we will scout in other countries and are looking to expand that, well if you believe the club. Yet we seem to be so narrow with the players we are looking at.