Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Guest icemanblue

This fucking club, I get we won't be held to ransom but surely they are not asking over the top. We have again allowed ourselves to be in a shit situation where we are desperate for a striker and everyone know it.. beggers can't be choosers!

They are, like.

This fucking club, I get we won't be held to ransom but surely they are not asking over the top. We have again allowed ourselves to be in a shit situation where we are desperate for a striker and everyone know it.. beggers can't be choosers!

They are, like.

Is that due to the quality of the player or length on contract ?

I think he is well worth the fee as a footballer but I understand him having a year left on his contract usually brings an understanding of a lesser fee. We seem to only rate him as we think he should be cheaper but if we really think he is going to be suited to us then the extra cash should be made available.

At this stage in time, where we could realistically end up with Cisse, Shola and Gouffran being our strikeforce, I rather bite my teeth and cough up the extra mil or so. We could easily make it back through a better league position anyway.

Pessimism will be at a new low here if we fail to get either of Remy, Gomis or Bent. And rightly so.

At this stage in time, where we could realistically end up with Cisse, Shola and Gouffran being our strikeforce, I rather bite my teeth and cough up the extra mil or so. We could easily make it back through a better league position anyway.

Pessimism will be at a new low here if we fail to get either of Remy, Gomis or Bent. And rightly so.

Could it get any lower?

Could it get any lower?

Probably not with you around.

Could it get any lower?

:lol:

Nice work.

The issue for me is the lack of alternative options we always seem to have.

If our policy is to be so strict on value for money, then we should make sure we have a wider range of options, so that we can work on a number of these at any on time, to ensure we have a chance of getting one of them in.

Unfortunately, it's more likely that we'll just hang around hoping that they come back to us on Gomis, which is just unacceptable really.

We've all seen this movie before, and it still sucks.

Could it get any lower?

:lol:

Nice work.

I aim to please.  :aww:

On a serious note, surely even you wouldn't have your usual level of optimism if we fail to get one in.

On a serious note, surely even you wouldn't have your usual level of optimism if we fail to get one in.

Nah, I'd be very worried if we don't get at least one forward, I've never said otherwise. But a setback like this doesn't mean that will happen.

I was hoping this would be tied up this week though, which looks a lot less likely now.

If our policy is to be so strict on value for money, then we should make sure we have a wider range of options, so that we can work on a number of these at any on time, to ensure we have a chance of getting one of them in.

Unfortunately, it's more likely that we'll just hang around hoping that they come back to us on Gomis, which is just unacceptable really.

Not only that. We've somehow been led to believe that 8 million is the utmost we can pay for any player, whilst other clubs we are competing with (the sovereign states of Swansea and Southampton for example), are happily spending double figures to get their preferred targets.

Any chance this could just be OL using the press to try and hurry us up, gain more bids from other clubs or get Gomis in to talk to them.

Not an unusual thing in the world of football, most clubs use a certain media outlet or journo to help with their business be it unsettling a player they want to sign or gaining interest in one of their own players.

Also every summer begins with noises about Shola wanting to leave. :lol:

Gfn_france

For the record, Lyon's pricetag for Bafetimbi Gomis has been and always was €10m this summer. #OL #NUFC

They haven't moved the goal post, we just haven't matched their price.

Well, it's not like it's as simple as that. Usually transfers are a negotiation.

£6.9m isn't really that far from €10m.

Gfn_france

For the record, Lyon's pricetag for Bafetimbi Gomis has been and always was €10m this summer. #OL #NUFC

Well, it's not like it's as simple as that. Usually transfers are a negotiation.

£6.9m isn't really that far from €10m.

It represents a 20% difference, that's pretty big? http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=6900000+GBP+in+Euro&oq=6900000+GBP+in+Euro

edit: if we wanted to undercut by, say, 10% it'd be a £7.75m offer.  `

Gfn_france

@GraemeBailey 23s

We unserstand Newcastle pulling back from Bafetimbi Gomis due to Lyon's demands. Player's terms were not an issue.

Not only that. We've somehow been led to believe that 8 million is the utmost we can pay for any player, whilst other clubs we are competing with (the sovereign states of Swansea and Southampton for example), are happily spending double figures to get their preferred targets.

Yeah this annoys me the most. We'll just have to accept that just like Debuchy last year, if they don't think someone is worth the extra million they won't stump it up even if it's for like £5-6m

You could argue that £7m for final year contract is a good offer but just shows again why do we only target players who are in their final year etc. Surely we would be better suited targeting players that would be perfect for us and if we have to pay market value once in awhile then fair enough.

Gfn_france

@GraemeBailey 23s

We unserstand Newcastle pulling back from Bafetimbi Gomis due to Lyon's demands. Player's terms were not an issue.

Yeh their demand of 10 million euros like they've always said.

I would say Remy is an alternative option. Whether we get him here by the start of the season is another issue, but it would definitely give us a decent front two until January.