Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

That'll have more English players featuring regularly next season then we do?

All of them I suspect.

Just about all of the better teams in the premier are dominated by foreigners as far as I can see. Whether they have two English players or four isn't going to make much difference to the team spirit as far as caring about the club, which was the point raised by Disco.

I don't think we are THAT short of English squad players really.

Alnwick, Elliot, Williamson, Taylor, Dummett, Raylor (if he wasn't injured obviously), Bigiramana (England U20 international), Gosling, Shola, Sammy, Campbell.

Obviously not that many first teamers but I can see 5-6 of them playing over 10 games each this season. We need to try and get players out on loan sooner. Players like Dummett and Newton apparently shining out on loan when they are over 20 just seems stupid to me.

A core of players from the same country (and usually the same area) as the club is a prominent feature of nearly every successful side in European club football.

But as usual, the European football geeks know better than the greatest managers of our time.

A core of players from the same country (and usually the same area) as the club is a prominent feature of nearly every successful side in European club football.

But as usual, the European football geeks know better than the greatest managers of our time.

Is this genuinely true? Or is it just Barca and (sort of) Bayern?

I honestly don't know enough, just asking.

Inter Milan (in 2010) aside I think it has been for Champions League & European Cup winners.

Anyway we all know it's got going to change any time soon so I'll stop moaning about it.

How do other clubs manage to have plenty of English players without spending these vast fortunes then?

If you scout properly, there's loads of untapped potential in the lower league as evidenced by how well many players who've been promoted have done.

Scouting and youth development has been pish for ages...Carr is starting to turn it around but he can't do it alone. We have about 2 youth coaches, Arsenal have 7 or summink..

Guest neesy111

Inter Milan (in 2010) aside I think it has been for Champions League & European Cup winners

Who did Liverpool have?  Gerrard, Carragher?

I'm really only interested in the premier at the moment seeing as we're not in Europe, which is why I was asking for examples of teams in the premier which followed the model you suggested. The only one I could think of was Liverpool recently under Dalglish and they spent shedloads on young English talent and he was sacked within a season.

I'm really only interested in the premier at the moment seeing as we're not in Europe, which is why I was asking for examples of teams in the premier which followed the model you suggested. The only one I could think of was Liverpool recently under Dalglish and they spent shedloads on young English talent and he was sacked within a season.

Scrapping of the foreign players rule has led to Eng players not getting enough game time to develop. IMO that is the key to this...They get disillusioned when clubs go out and get 5 youngsters and 2 first teamers from around Europe. 

Re: British players being oh so expensive, I bet if you'd went to Swansea the summer before they got promoted, you could have got Williams, Taylor, Allen, Britton and Dyer for less than ten million all in.

It's a mixture of sheer laziness and a horrible snobbery from the Premier League that lots of clubs don't shop below the top flight.

Chelsea have had a core of English talent (Cole, Terry, Lampard) for the last 10 years.

Man Utd have had a core of local English players for as long as I can remember.

Arsenal have gone back to this after a few years of not bothering with no great success, their best teams have a sprinkling of English talent.

etc. etc.

Scrapping of the foreign players rule has led to Eng players not getting enough game time to develop. IMO that is the key to this...They get disillusioned when clubs go out and get 5 youngsters and 2 first teamers from around Europe. 

I agree, but we can only deal with the hand we are dealt with as a club. What else can we do but buy the best players available (within our budget)  from the same pool as every other team in the premier?

Chelsea have had a core of English talent (Cole, Terry, Lampard) for the last 10 years.

Arsenal have gone back to this after a few years of not bothering with no great success, their best teams have a sprinkling of English talent.

All teams that afford the best English talent though, and for them money is no object. Mostly owned by foreigners ironically. Even those teams are dominated by foreign players if you're honest. When you say a "core of English players" you mean 3 or 4 out of 11 at best.

The only way to have a core of English players now, unless you're mega-rich, is to develop them really. You've seen the insane fees that people like Downing and Henderson went for, and they aren't even as good as much cheaper foreign alternatives. God knows how much it would cost to buy an English player who is genuine quality.

The only club you can think of in the Premier League with English players is Liverpool under Dalglish? Give me strength.

The only team that actively tried to buy up the best English talent and provide a genuine English core was Liverpool. Is that clearer now? If you think it can be done so easily, why don't you provide an example of a team that is doing it right now in the premier?

etc. etc.

Chelsea - Cole £5m + Gallas, Terry - home grown, Lampard £11m (which was quite a fee at the time).

Man Utd - Ridiculous crop of home grown players but also spending sums like £30m Rio, £30m Rooney, £19m Carrick etc..

Arsenal - Brought through Wilshere, Walcott and AOC may turn out worth the money but it was a fair bit of money gambled.

Seems more of an argument of us not being willing to pay big money for players rather than us refusing to sign English players.

As usual, everyone will rush to blame the Lyon chairman when the common denominator in all of these deals that go pear shaped is us acting the c*** in an attempt to shave a couple of percent off.

:thup:

being a regular on here I thought the default position was to blame our lot ?

maybe using the evidence to hand on each occasion may make things more even.

Or you could follow trends in our transfer behaviour which include targeting unsettled players which can lead to protracted negotiations if we're pinching pennies as we always do, and as a result quite often leaving ourselves short and sacrificing points until we get the deal done.

transfer window behaviour ?  like agreeing a fee for remy last january and (rumour has it) aubameyang a few weeks back ?

admittedly we do take advantage of contract stuff (bloody well ope we would) but it's not the be all and end all.

If a player's contract isn't vulnerable we're not interested in him. It's no way to built a team.

remy and aubameyangs contracts werent vulnerable were they ?

Aubameyang was out of contract next year if he'd stayed I think.

De Jong bid :lol:

We bid and he chose to go elsewhere, dont see what's funny. Mind you, you would have just complained he was foreign anyway. Probably best we didn't sign him.

Pretty sure we were 'priced out'?

But yeah dirty foreigners n all that - good point, well made. Needs more gifs though.

I was only joking mate ;) it was something you said recently that made me chuckle. With Luuk De Jong, i thought we bid enough but he went because the team he went to had Champions Leauge footy. Could be wrong but i thought that was it.

Fair do's RE: the foreigner thing I grew up watching players I knew cared for the club; Kelly, Clark, Beardsley, Sir Les, Shearer, Speed, etc. Krul aside (& maybe a misguided Taylor but given his regular Pards/JFK comments not so sure) I don't see that in our first team.

Anyhoo, speaking for myself I just wish we a little more diverse when it came to recruitment (nationality not an issue). I know we've all been made more than aware value is king but I think a few have bought in to this a little too much, even more so when we're pretty much chasing f*** all but being solvent as a football club these days. It's f***ing boring IMO.

We go and sign English let's say someone from down south london,  and then an Englishman from the north and one from the midlands.  How do we know for certain they will care more about nufc than a foreigner?

Arsenal bought Walcott from Southampton didn't they?

Didnt arsenal stop winning trophies when Wenger began to invest in British?

Well they seemed to be challenging more when they were full of Frenchies  :laugh:

Didnt arsenal stop winning trophies when Wenger began to invest in British?

Arsenal weren't winning any trophies when they had a majority of English players under manager Bruce Rioch. It was Wenger who came in and revitalised them by bringing in a lot of French players like Viera and Henry.

Guest bimpy474

Read it again, it's worded fine tbh.

Ah right, I see. But the point still stands, Walcott cost Arsenal nearly £10m.

Yep, British players prices are mental at times.