Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Arsenal bought Walcott from Southampton didn't they?

Didnt arsenal stop winning trophies when Wenger began to invest in British?

Arsenal weren't winning any trophies when they had a majority of English players under manager Bruce Rioch. It was Wenger who came in and revitalised them by bringing in a lot of French players like Viera and Henry.

They had 9 English players in their matchday squad which beat us in the 1998 Cup final after all those years of hurt under Bruce Rioch.

Anyway it's futile argument - some people would like some English/local representation, some people don't give a shit as long as we turn a profit and stay in the PL. These opinions aren't going too change.

As I have said I just find it a sad state of affairs for NUFC, NE football and English football as a whole.

Everton are a good example of how it could be done. They've been buying good British prospects for years (Lescott, Baines, Coleman, Jagielka etc) and always have a group of local players coming through. Doesn't do them much harm every year.

Arsenal weren't winning any trophies when they had a majority of English players under manager Bruce Rioch. It was Wenger who came in and revitalised them by bringing in a lot of French players like Viera and Henry.

They had 9 English players in their matchday squad which beat us in the 1998 Cup final after all those years of hurt under Bruce Rioch.

Anyway it's futile argument - some people would like some English/local representation, some people don't give a s*** as long as we turn a profit and stay in the PL. These opinions aren't going too change.

As I have said I just find it a sad state of affairs for NUFC, NE football and English football as a whole.

This is the problem. The PL overseas expansion, foreign investment, inflated market prices in England even from lower leagues, not to mention the style of football difference in our lower leagues, overseas advertising, English footballers being inflated in ego as the PL grew, English football in the media, English football to most English fans etc etc etc.

We can't blame our clubs heads too much, imo. They're just competing. yes it's pretty appalling to look at but we couldn't compete buying English. Not the funds available to make it viable, horrific youth set up which would take years to see any return on improvement. It needs to change but we're going to change rather slowly.

Buying someone like Ince or Sincliar would be a really great start imo. A young Englishman that will be a starter for us that everyone gets behind, wants to see progress, get in to the England team etc. Long road, though.

Anyway it's futile argument - some people would like some English/local representation, some people don't give a shit as long as we turn a profit and stay in the PL. These opinions aren't going too change.

Local representation would be great, as long as there was relative success to go with it. I've been down the young local talent representing Newcastle before under Ardiles pre-Keegan, and when we nearly got relegated from the 2nd division, people soon realised that winning football matches comes before romanticism.

Anyway it's futile argument - some people would like some English/local representation, some people don't give a s*** as long as we turn a profit and stay in the PL. These opinions aren't going too change.

I'm in the camp of not giving a shit, as long the players give 100% on the pitch.  When a bigger club comes along with more money they will leave in a shot makes no difference if he's English or foreign.

So there isn't a third option of - Some people don't give a shit as they realise loyalty in football died years ago, they don't care whether the player is from Fenham or France as long as they are good players who want to do well for the team?

:lol:

So with these new quotes from Aulas, does that mean we aren't getting him?

Brinksmanship imo. They can't afford his wages.

Gomis will move to another club by the end of the window. Whether it's to us, who knows?

So with these new quotes from Aulas, does that mean we aren't getting him?

Oh, we'll get him alright, he's just trying to crank up the pressure and make us panic.

He obviously doesn't know that we do not panic with transfers.  They don't seem to panic if it looks like we'll go down, I know we signed a few last January but we had identified those long before.

Everton are a good example of how it could be done. They've been buying good British prospects for years (Lescott, Baines, Coleman, Jagielka etc) and always have a group of local players coming through. Doesn't do them much harm every year.

Everton's first team is also getting more and more foreign dominated. Compare Everton's team from last season to the one from a couple of years earlier. How many English players in their starting 11? Not that many I think.

Not that it was good enough long term but our team when we came back up had; Ameobi, Carroll, Barton, Nolan, Smith :), Guthrie, R.Taylor, Simpson,S.Taylor, Williamson,Sol Campbell, Harper and probably a few more.

I dont give a fuck about money, i just like to see good players playing good football.

Yep. I just want to see us up their challenging for the CL spots again, which a team of our stature should always be doing. It would be great if we could do that with local or English players, but I don't see why we should be the standard bearers for English football when everyone else has abandoned the game to greed. Disco mentioned Chelsea for example: they aren't even a big club, they are a middle of the road club which has been inflated into a super team by the influx of foreign money.

Everton's first team is also getting more and more foreign dominated. Compare Everton's team from last season to the one from a couple of years earlier. How many English players in their starting 11? Not that many I think.

Baines, Gibson, Jagielka, Naismith, Neville, Osman and Coleman all played 25+ games last year and there's a batch of young English players coming through this year who look exciting (Barkley, Stones, Garbutt etc). Factor in players like Howard, Distin, Anichebe and Pienaar who have loads of PL experience and might as well be British.

They've also appointed a manager who loves developing young players and has already spoken of doing so at Everton.

Baines, Gibson, Jagielka, Naismith, Neville, Osman and Coleman all played 25+ games last year and there's a batch of young English players coming through this year who look exciting (Barkley, Stones, Garbutt etc). Factor in players like Howard, Distin, Anichebe and Pienaar who have loads of PL experience and might as well be British.

They've also appointed a manager who loves developing young players and has already spoken of doing so at Everton.

Their starting 11 is still a lot less British than it was two years ago, but I'll be interested to see how they do compared to us over the next couple of seasons. Personally I think if we swapped our manager for theirs we'd piss all over them within a season, but I'm going to leave this topic for now as the thread is all over the place. I've opened another thread if you want to discuss on it further.

Guest bimpy474

I dont give a fuck about money, i just like to see good players playing good football.

Yep. I just want to see us up their challenging for the CL spots again, which a team of our stature should always be doing. It would be great if we could do that with local or English players, but I don't see why we should be the standard bearers for English football when everyone else has abandoned the game to greed. Disco mentioned Chelsea for example: they aren't even a big club, they are a middle of the road club which has been inflated into a super team by the influx of foreign money.

I'd love us to have a team of English players but in this day and age it's a pie in the sky dream. Even academy players now are different nationalities. As for Chelsea, fuck em. :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lyons-jean-michel-aulas-complains-french-5675609?

Lyon complain to French football league for problems with Gomis move

7 Aug 2013 15:37

It has emerged that Marseille could be blamed if Bafetimbi Gomis’ move to Newcastle United falls through

Share on print Share on email

Bafetimbi GomisBafetimbi Gomis

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has filed a complaint to the French Professional Football League  – and it has emerged that Marseille could be blamed if Bafetimbi Gomis’ move to the Magpies falls through.

Aulas said last night that other people were to blame for derailing the move for Gomis .

And following his complaint the French PFL responded today with this statement "If there is proof, there will be a debate before the commission.

"Mr Aulas says that during negotiations between the representatives of Bafetimbi Gomis and Newcastle, Olympique de Marseille intervened to make contact with the player and his agents without having warned Lyon, something which the text of the regulation sets out.

"And, as a result, if the negotiations with Newcastle should collapse, it would be Marseille's fault."

Aulas had said: “I am very disappointed that the deal was never finished with Newcastle. Personally, I am very pessimistic (of a successful conclusion). Someone is pulling the strings behind the scenes.

“I have filed a complaint for ‘destabilisation’. Things will be settled in front of the appropriate committee (of the French Professional Football League).

“It is a complete disservice to Bafe.

“He is a player that we respect. It completely flipped over with Newcastle. It was a priority that Bafe should have got what he wanted in terms of salary.

“For the moment, the situation is blocked.

“On the 30th August, if no solution is reached we will reintegrate Bafe in the squad. We will have to change our approach to Bafe’s situation.

“Our desire is to settle things positively for everyone involved.”

That fits with the twitter from the parody account.

You know that's a parody account, yeah?

It's on his real account

@lee_ryder: Confirmed by French PFL hat Marseille will be "at fault" if Bafetimbi Gomis deal to #nufc collapses.

@lee_ryder: French PFL say that Marseille barged in on Gomis deal without consulting Lyon #nufc