Obafami Martins

Crumpy Gunt

I have one question, is this forum even serious anymore, or is it some kind of sick parody of itself?  It gets more bizarre and idiotic every day.

Erm... You mean when he played a ball somewhere where there was nobody whatsoever, no toon players, no defenders, no one running on, then jogged over to pick it up again because there was no-one there to challenge him?

I thought the lad was a waste of space today, Sibierski outshone him and he's 4 years older!

This post was a joke yes?, I'm being seroius by the way, I really want to know if you where joking here before I respond to the comment.

Quick question to the considerable number of people who raved about how amazingly two footed Martins was.

Do you still believe this to be the case?

Was actually thinking of those "two footed" claims as I watched the game - um... NO! He's very left-footed.

I've said that I think he's down on confidence (or weighed down by expectation), and as his game gets on song then he will become more confident about using his right...

Quick question to the considerable number of people who raved about how amazingly two footed Martins was.

No, I'll admit I was wrong there (though I never said he was two-footed, just that he had a decent right-foot)

No, I'll admit I was wrong there (though I never said he was two-footed, just that he had a decent right-foot)

Fair enough, it wasn't meant as a dig and I hope Raconteur is right that it may just be a confidence issue.

It would make a massive difference when he has the speed to get to the ball, to not have to stop and check back onto his left and lose any advantage that he might have just gained.

Fair enough, it wasn't meant as a dig and I hope Raconteur is right that it may just be a confidence issue.

It would make a massive difference when he has the speed to get to the ball, to not have to stop and check back onto his left and lose any advantage that he might have just gained.

He's gaining no advantage by not being able to control the ball. Which is a worry, because we can't hide behind him being new to the Premiership for THAT.

He's gaining no advantage by not being able to control the ball. Which is a worry, because we can't hide behind him being new to the Premiership for THAT.

The balls are bouncier over here.  And the grass is skiddier.  And......some other stuff.

The balls are bouncier over here. And the grass is skiddier. And......some other stuff.

I'd rather have him than Carlton Cole.....tbh.

The balls are bouncier over here. And the grass is skiddier. And......some other stuff.

Now that would make sense if I'd been ranting on about our failure to sign Carlton Cole.

Now that would make sense if I'd been ranting on about our failure to sign Carlton Cole.

You wanted him here....tbh.

You wanted him here....tbh.

I said when he was available that given as we weren't exactly overburdened with strikers, he might be worth a go.  Which was true.  I would have him in our squad now tbh.  By the way, I last mentioned Carlton Cole fucking AGES ago, so it's still utterly irrelevant to the current discussion.

I said "It's looking that way." - and from what I saw today I  think we've bought a player that is 4 or 5 times overpriced for the £10m we've spent.

Would anyone think that Emre and Martins had trained and played for the same team for 3 years? You'd think they had only met a few weeks ago, there's nothing between them.

No nice way of saying it but I fear Martins is as thick as pig-shit (or donkey shite maybe?) - one occasion today he recieved a perfect ball on the edge of the 18yrd box, facing goal, space in front to move into. Just had to take it on his left foot and touch gently forward - he recieved it and put straight to his right foot where it was easily taken off him by the defender who had just got himself out of jail after being caught the wrong side.

The thought that the club has wasted yet ANOTHER colossal amount of money is nagging at me too mate. I hoped Roeder would have taken care - it was important he got his first few signings right....Martins is quite alive around the box, but he seems to be to slow to react, think and is not strong enough. We also need a front runner to make runs, he and Owen will not play together, not a chance because they are basically the same type of player, even if he does come good. I don't want to write him off but I am very very pissed off at the money we have spent, which is THIRTY SEVEN MILLION QUID replacing Shearer and Bellamy on 3 forwards, and we still need 2 forwards.

I said when he was available that given as we weren't exactly overburdened with strikers, he might be worth a go. Which was true. I would have him in our squad now tbh. By the way, I last mentioned Carlton Cole fucking AGES ago, so it's still utterly irrelevant to the current discussion

You'd be moaning even more about him than at Martins.

I said when he was available that given as we weren't exactly overburdened with strikers, he might be worth a go. Which was true. I would have him in our squad now tbh. By the way, I last mentioned Carlton Cole fucking AGES ago, so it's still utterly irrelevant to the current discussion

How far would you like to take this hypothetical argument?

Martins needs time to settle, he is trying to impress too much keeping the ball too long, desperately trying to score any time he gets a sniff at goal and not concentrating when the ball gets to him.

Once he is settled and more comfortable in the team he will be able to relax a little, play better football and will have less pressure to impress so I have no doubt he will improve.

Yesterday he had numerous chances and a few of these chances were a lot easier than some of the goals he has scored for Inter. He is 21 and has scored about 50 goals including i think 9 in the champions league. The lad can obviously finish but as usual people are completely overreacting.

He has shown pace, hunger, desire a little strength and as shown at west ham can be composed in front of goal.

In a few months people will be pulling up threads like this just to have a little laugh at those who were writing the lad off so quickly!

Guest optimistic nit

When he was subbed he ran off the pitch faster than he'd run all game.

Too early to write the lad off, but he's not shown me any promise of his potential so far.

faster than he had ran all game?

he was fucking lightning all game. never seen anything like it, and he has great stregnth and teqnique. not pleased with his composure in front of goal, but it should improve.

i see what crumpy means, with that chance he really should have done better at, but its too early to write off his striking prowess atm.

We obviously have different definitions of "lightning." I'm not sure we can judge his technique yet, thanks to his early-shola style first touch today we didn't get a chance to see it.

my definition of lightning is getting onto your own through ball. you need more than quick leggs to to that as well, you need a quick mind. no hesitation unlike lescott after he'd passed, we was straight onto it.

Erm... You mean when he played a ball somewhere where there was nobody whatsoever, no toon players, no defenders, no one running on, then jogged over to pick it up again because there was no-one there to challenge him?

I thought the lad was a waste of space today, Sibierski outshone him and he's 4 years older!

Bluestar don;t make yourself look like a pratt. (sibi only 25btw???)

sibi made one great touch to set up parker, but apart from that was terrible. good stregth, but oba has that as well. his first touch was terrible, it looked like he was playing pinball. no attempt at a bring down just deflect it with his heel.

oba passed it to nobody because of a missunderstanding. whoever it was wanted a through ball and he passed to feet. not too unreasonable is it? i didn't think he was going to score today, i admit it, but in my opinion it was just not going for him. i did think however, that had we had even a semi competant striker partnering oba we would have won comfortably. even the best go through baron spells, but i reckon with a bit of help he could have created mountains of space for another striker. or got a couple of assists.

can i ask a question? (well another question ;) ) why are you so determined to see oba fail?

its the same with every player we've brought into the club. if all the players we have now played to their form prior to joining us we'd probably win the league, or finish second behind chelsea. they can't all just "not cut it in the premiership", he's the same player that tore arsenal apart in the CL when he was 18, yet now he's 10million worth of shite?

Guest durhamsmoggy

I like what I've seen of him so far.  No one actually thought we were buying the finished article did they?

For £10 Million? bluesigh.gif

Guest optimistic nit

I like what I've seen of him so far. No one actually thought we were buying the finished article did they?

For £10 Million? bluesigh.gif

he's 21. would you pass up a 17 year old rooney for that figure?

his finishing was poor on saterday, but were judging him already after 4 games, saying he's shite, wasted money etc...

he's fast and you can't deny that, he chased down a lot of balls, got stuck in and got into good positions. his movement in the box wasn't brilliant, but neither was sibierski's who supposedly played better than him. can we for once not judge a player after 4 games. i thought it was just a motd clichy that we expected too much.

the fans try to blame everybody at the club, instead of the few people who are actually at fault.

i'm amazed he's performed at all given that we have a shit defence, a shit cenral midfield partnership, a shit board, an average manager, no full backs period, and no centrebacks above championship standard. he's done good to have scored 1 goal.

The only thing that anyone mentions at the club in any positive light is  The Zog.

Martins needs time to settle, he is trying to impress too much keeping the ball too long, desperately trying to score any time he gets a sniff at goal and not concentrating when the ball gets to him.

Once he is settled and more comfortable in the team he will be able to relax a little, play better football and will have less pressure to impress so I have no doubt he will improve.

Yesterday he had numerous chances and a few of these chances were a lot easier than some of the goals he has scored for Inter. He is 21 and has scored about 50 goals including i think 9 in the champions league. The lad can obviously finish but as usual people are completely overreacting.

He has shown pace, hunger, desire a little strength and as shown at west ham can be composed in front of goal.

In a few months people will be pulling up threads like this just to have a little laugh at those who were writing the lad off so quickly!

Post of the day TBH

Oh I’m sorry, then! I’m sure you’d be praising his astonishing pace, deadly finishing, dazzling dribbling skills, amazing strength, great technique, fantastic passing and his unbelievable vision.

When he was subbed he ran off the pitch faster than he'd run all game.

Too early to write the lad off, but he's not shown me any promise of his potential so far.

faster than he had ran all game?

he was fucking lightning all game. never seen anything like it, and he has great stregnth and teqnique. not pleased with his composure in front of goal, but it should improve.

i see what crumpy means, with that chance he really should have done better at, but its too early to write off his striking prowess atm.

We obviously have different definitions of "lightning." I'm not sure we can judge his technique yet, thanks to his early-shola style first touch today we didn't get a chance to see it.

my definition of lightning is getting onto your own through ball. you need more than quick leggs to to that as well, you need a quick mind. no hesitation unlike lescott after he'd passed, we was straight onto it.

Bluestar don;t make yourself look like a pratt. (sibi only 25btw???)

Sigh, it was a joke about the 21/28 thing mate.

sibi made one great touch to set up parker, but apart from that was terrible. good stregth, but oba has that as well. his first touch was terrible, it looked like he was playing pinball. no attempt at a bring down just deflect it with his heel.

Sorry, I though Sibi looked more positive for us, but he certainly wasn't brilliant.  If Martins is strong he needs to show it rather than going to ground so often and looking for a free kick.  I've yet to find anyone in real life who thinks he had a good game yesterday.  the bloke behind me made the quip about Martins running off the feild faster than he'd gone all game, the bloke next to me said "I was about to say that"  Met my mates after the match and one of them pointed it out, the other guy said "Aye, that's what they said around me as well."

I'm not writing the guy off, but people pretending he's shown us an indication of what he can do are kidding themselves.  How much of a stretch is it to claim that by having to go across the pitch and pick up his own misplaced pass that he was "So fast he could run onto his own through ball"?

oba passed it to nobody because of a missunderstanding. whoever it was wanted a through ball and he passed to feet. not too unreasonable is it? i didn't think he was going to score today, i admit it, but in my opinion it was just not going for him. i did think however, that had we had even a semi competant striker partnering oba we would have won comfortably. even the best go through baron spells, but i reckon with a bit of help he could have created mountains of space for another striker. or got a couple of assists.

Maybe we can get this Baron Spells character to work some magic and make him show a glimmer of the player he's supposed to be.

can i ask a question? (well another question ;) ) why are you so determined to see oba fail?

Sorry mate, don't talk such utter shite.  I went down to Villa singing the lads name in the car, in the pub and while he was warming up.  I want him to succeed and I was very happy when we signed him.  but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend he's incredible when he's had one half decent game against West Ham and he's not shown the supposed lightening pace he's got, performed woefully in front of goal and failed to play to his strengths so far.

Why did you want Souness to fail, etc, etc  :roll:

its the same with every player we've brought into the club. if all the players we have now played to their form prior to joining us we'd probably win the league, or finish second behind chelsea. they can't all just "not cut it in the premiership", he's the same player that tore arsenal apart in the CL when he was 18, yet now he's 10million worth of shite?

I've never said he's shite.  i've said he's not played well so far and I don't see why it should be mandatory to pretend he has.

On the few occasions Martins has had a chance to run for a ball he has looked very fast indeed, what do some people expect? Do people want him to run up and down the pitch all day showing how fast he can run or try and play a bit of football?

If the balls arent being feed through for him to run on he isnt going to show his pace, how is that his fault?

On the few occasions Martins has had a chance to run for a ball he has looked very fast indeed, what do some people expect? Do people want him to run up and down the pitch all day showing how fast he can run or try and play a bit of football?

If the balls arent being feed through for him to run on he isnt going to show his pace, how is that his fault?

Yep, the way we're playing is one of the factors which has meant we've not seen what he can do yet.  This is one of the reasons we can't proclaim him to be a "terrific buy" or "incredible" yet.

Oh I’m sorry, then! I’m sure you’d be praising his astonishing pace, deadly finishing, dazzling dribbling skills, amazing strength, great technique, fantastic passing and his unbelievable vision.

Bearing in mind the Martins appreciation thread, I imagine there'd definitely be at least some people saying that as long as wor Carlton managed to turn up to the game on time and put his shoes on the right feet!

Calling into question the indisputable fact that Martins must be must be Pele's better brother based on what we've seen of him so far does not equate to writing him off, calling him shit or wanting him to fail!