Obafami Martins

Crumpy Gunt

this reminds of when Owen first went to Real Madrid. he was getting into so many positions every match and fluffing all his chances. then he got a bit sharper and those missed chances started turning into goals and he was scoring all the time. as people have said, it would be a lot more worrying if Martins wasn't getting into good positions in the first place. considering he fashioned many of those chances himself due to sheer pace and hard work i'd say he's shown a lot to be cheerful about.

I totally agree

Guest optimistic nit

When he was subbed he ran off the pitch faster than he'd run all game.

Too early to write the lad off, but he's not shown me any promise of his potential so far.

faster than he had ran all game?

he was fucking lightning all game. never seen anything like it, and he has great stregnth and teqnique. not pleased with his composure in front of goal, but it should improve.

i see what crumpy means, with that chance he really should have done better at, but its too early to write off his striking prowess atm.

Too early to write the lad off, but he's not shown me any promise of his potential so far.

he was fucking lightning all game. never seen anything like it, and he has great stregnth and teqnique. not pleased with his composure in front of goal, but it should improve.

i see what crumpy means, with that chance he really should have done better at, but its too early to write off his striking prowess atm.

:thup:

Thats trhe only thing letting him down so far, that rush of blood when he is infront of goal. I think its just him being so desperate to do well he gets a bit over excited at the chance of a goal. Once he gets f ew in and calms down I think he is going to be a great signing.

fastest he ran was when he got onto the end of his own through ball in the first half. or when he closed lescott down and tackled him in the box.

Didn't Bellamy miss an open goal yesterday? Also from what has been said his Anfield career so far has been very up and down performance wise, now I bet those already with their claws out over Martins are the ones who would have Bellamy back here in a shot.

Didn't Bellamy miss an open goal yesterday? Also from what has been said his Anfield career so far has been very up and down performance wise, now I bet those already with their claws out over Martins are the ones who would have Bellamy back here in a shot.

I was actually going to draw a comparison between Bellamy and Martins in that I felt that Bellamy came to the club and looked a poor finisher.  He left the club a much more proficient goalscorer.  Martins can develop in a similar vein.  He has the raw materials, he just needs to learn how to use them a bit better.  I am very optimistic for the future.

Guest optimistic nit

fastest he ran was when he got onto the end of his own through ball in the first half. or when he closed lescott down and tackled him in the box.

those were the two incidents that i was thinking of when i said it blueyes.gif

The own through ball one especially.

We obviously have different definitions of "lightning." I'm not sure we can judge his technique yet, thanks to his early-shola style first touch today we didn't get a chance to see it.

those were the two incidents that i was thinking of when i said it blueyes.gif

The own through ball one especially.

That was funny, I don't think anyone exspected him to get to it he is dam fast like, cant think of any I have seen that are faster.

Also today Emre showed how much acceleration he has, his short bursts of pace to close people down are fantastic.

Guest optimistic nit

We obviously have different definitions of "lightning." I'm not sure we can judge his technique yet, thanks to his early-shola style first touch today we didn't get a chance to see it.

my definition of lightning is getting onto your own through ball. you need more than quick leggs to to that as well, you need a quick mind. no hesitation unlike lescott after he'd passed, we was straight onto it.

my definition of lightning is getting onto your own through ball. you need more than quick leggs to to that as well, you need a quick mind. no hesitation unlike lescott after he'd passed, we was straight onto it.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/billywhiz1.jpg

Martins runs on to his own through ball... :winking:

Martins just needs to get used to the frenetic nature of the Premier League, and get his pass/shot off quicker accordingly. I don't see him being a problem tbh once this happens.

Only thing I think he did wrong was taking the number 9, as there are plenty of numpties who will continue to compare him to our greatest ever goalscorers which is unfair.

Only thing I think he did wrong was taking the number 9, as there are plenty of numpties who will continue to compare him to our greatest ever goalscorers which is unfair.

Which is the problem, Owen is Shearers replacement and would wear the number 9 if he didn't market the number 10 shirt as part of his 'brand'

I think with all the problems Martins causes defenders can only be good news for when he partners Owen, think of all the space Mikey will get :thup:

If he had someone to pass to when getting into positions we might not be have this thread right now.

He's taking all the shootin responsibility when he's playing, as even he can see we've nowt up front worth passing to.

But he does need to stop snatching, relax and find some composure, minus the finishing today, Martins had a very good game. Granted strikers are judged on the goals they score, and the chances they miss, but this guy for me will be worth the money, he's no Luque.

Guest Anders Rye

I really thought Martins did well today, he has just played a couple of Premier League games, he will need at least a half year to adjust, he is 21 therefore still has a lot to learn. If his shooting will come good in a couple of years (Look at Bellamy, it takes time) he will be fantastic. COme on, give him time folks.