Duff the P... (finish this sentence)

TRon

My friend was sat behind the dugout at the Blackburn game, and said that he could here Duff and KK having a heated argument / debate when he was subbed.

Please God let this be true. Duff dropped and free to go on the lash Sunday night.

N'Zogbia isn't blameless, I'm not sure Keegan trusts him to give 100%. It's a shame because I think if he hadn't been messed about and put below the pecking order behind Duff, he'd have been much happier and we'd have scored more goals.

Duff has been absolutely dreadful for Ireland since the World Cup in 2002, where he was absolute class.

That said, the entire Irish team has been shite, so make of that what you will. In no way has he stood out amongst the uselessness though, as you might expect a player of his alledged quality to do. So I'm not sure whre this notion of him playing well for Ireland recently comes from.

Duff regressed under Mourinho, in all honesty. In his early days, he was a frustrating but at times brilliant winger. He'd run at defenders all day long, could skip by two or three at a time with a couple of quick changes of direction and then he'd be gone. Odds were he'd lose the ball more often than not, but you knew that a couple of times a game at the very least he'd get behind the opposition and into really dangerous positions.

The only thing that stopped him being a truly top class winger, one of the very best in the world at the time, was his final delivery. So often he'd get into great positions only to scuff or overhit a cross or shot. But he was getting into those positions enough to get away with it and still set up chances on a regular basis.

Anyway, once he got to Mourinho's Chelsea he was no longer the guy expected to make things happen, the star of the show that he was in Blackburn and for Ireland. He became more cautious in his game, retaining the ball much more and becoming the team player Chelsea wanted. But in doing that he lost that something that made him a very good player and ultimately Chelsea were fairly happy to give him away for a pittance, considering the talent he had once been hailed as.

So now what are we left with?

A has-been, basically. One way or another, it seems he's lost the talents that made him special. He can't beat one man anymore, never mind two or three at a time, which was what made him so dangerous. As I mentioned above his final delivery has never been a strong point, and now that he needs to make the most of his good shooting/crossing chances we see how poor it really is.

I think injuries have hurt him a lot. He was quick, but never a guy with lightning pace. Much of what made him a good player was how agile he was, able to change direction so quickly and fluidly and leave his man behind him, and I think he's lost that to an extent as age and injuries have slowed him down.

So yeah, he's pretty rubbish these days, basically.

Milner does things that a footballer needs to do. Occasionally sets a goal up, occasionally scores one, occasionally puts a cross into the box, occasionally makes a key pass to set someone else away, occasionally beats his man. Probably doesn't do any of them as often as he should. Works his f****** bollocks off as well, not in a false way like Alan Smith by kicking people but in a genuine run-60-yards-to-stop-the-other-team-scoring kind of way.

Duff doesn't ever do any of those things. I'm not in the least bit surprised that his return has coincided with this club's worst run of form since 1978. He's by no means the only reason of course (God no), but he is a very big one nonetheless. You're basically adding a man to your midfield who contributes nothing going forward or back and obviously in the process losing someone who does, be it Milner, Geremi, N'Zogbia, Emre, whoever. Geremi had been on the field for two minutes on Saturday when he robbed a defender and whipped in a cross better than Duff ever has for us.

False Hair, false position, false versatility, false scowl, false strength, false shooting, false heading, false leader, false hold up play, false link up play, false ability, false everything.

Would make a great actor as he has managed to con, I don't know how many managers, into believing he is a top footballer, when he isn't even a footballer in the first place.

Milner does things that a footballer needs to do. Occasionally sets a goal up, occasionally scores one, occasionally puts a cross into the box, occasionally makes a key pass to set someone else away, occasionally beats his man. Probably doesn't do any of them as often as he should. Works his f****** bollocks off as well, not in a false way like Alan Smith by kicking people but in a genuine run-60-yards-to-stop-the-other-team-scoring kind of way.

Duff doesn't ever do any of those things. I'm not in the least bit surprised that his return has coincided with this club's worst run of form since 1978. He's by no means the only reason of course (God no), but he is a very big one nonetheless. You're basically adding a man to your midfield who contributes nothing going forward or back and obviously in the process losing someone who does, be it Milner, Geremi, N'Zogbia, Emre, whoever. Geremi had been on the field for two minutes on Saturday when he robbed a defender and whipped in a cross better than Duff ever has for us.

False Hair, false position, false versatility, false scowl, false strength, false shooting, false heading, false leader, false hold up play, false link up play, false ability, false everything.

Would make a great actor as he has managed to con, I don't know how many managers, into believing he is a top footballer, when he isn't even a footballer in the first place.

started laughing at false hair, magic

"Geremi had been on the field for two minutes on Saturday when he robbed a defender and whipped in a cross better than Duff ever has for us."

I noticed this too, but no fecker was there to tap it into the net, that's all it needed. I don't know why people don't like Geremi more, he's miles better than Duff, or Barton, or Smith. Not fantastic but way better than these three wastes of space.

"Geremi had been on the field for two minutes on Saturday when he robbed a defender and whipped in a cross better than Duff ever has for us."

I noticed this too, but no fecker was there to tap it into the net, that's all it needed. I don't know why people don't like Geremi more, he's miles better than Duff, or Barton, or Smith. Not fantastic but way better than these three wastes of space.

agreed, watched the african nations and he was great

you just just turn to shit by changing continents

Geremi did seem a bit overwhelmed in centre midfield, but does seem t do better out wide as either a winger or right back.

Not exactly pacy but his ability to play simple passes and cross from a variety of places means he could be quite valuable as Nobby was for us last season or how Beckham has been lately for England. Neither really bomb up and down the flank yet they are still effective.

Geremi did more for the side when he came on than Duff did.

I would mind Duff in the team as a replacement when were on form and winning games but he aint the guy to get us out of a rut.

• 7 months later...

Tonight's the night for Damien the Duff to finally show the doubters (me) the V sign. Come on Duff...a good pre-season...some nifty performances in one or two games, along with a stinker against the mackems.

Now's the time to tell the sinpers to fuck right off by putting Villa in their place. Will he, won't he?

I say no.

Tonight's the night for Damien the Duff to finally show the doubters (me) the V sign. Come on Duff...a good pre-season...some nifty performances in one or two games, along with a stinker against the mackems.

Now's the time to tell the sinpers to f*** right off by putting Villa in their place. Will he, won't he?

I say no.

He helped.

JFK has him playing the best since he came though and i think he'll get even better.

Agree, but don't know if it's good enough. He needs to start providing some end product, get the ball in the box and get himself some assists. He's got one goal and no assists in the league so far, and it's not good enough considering he's played almost every game