Keegan, sentiment, reality.

brummie

I'm aware I'm stepping on very dodgy ground here, but I am genuinely very interested., I'm really not trolling or looking for a fight, I'm just keen to hear your thoughts.

I'm interested in the perception of Keegan as your manager, and to what extent this is about sentimentality (which is, let's be honest, in many ways a good thing to still see in football) rather than cold, hard assessment of what the club needs.

Those of you who thought it was a good appointment at the time - was he really the best man for the job? Forget Allardyce and the wisdom of sacking him or appointing him in the first place, was the Keegan appointment the one to make?

When the news broke, I was driving home from work. Earlier that day, TalkShite had been saying Didier Deschamps was nailed on to get the job. I was actually quite impressed, in the sense that I thought it would be a good appointment and one that showed a freshness of thought which I haven't associated with those running NUFC for a long, long time.

Then, the same station reported that Keegan had been appointed. Had I not been driving home at the time, I'd have fallen off my seat, I could not believe it. My first reaction was 'what the FUCK?', my second was 'what the fuck are they doing?'.

Don't get me wrong, I like Keegan. Growing up in the late 70s, he was one of my football heroes, he was THE glamour footballer. I liked his first Newcastle side. I like his wearing of his heart on his sleeve, I genuinely think his "I would love it ..." outburst is one of the most watchable bits of sport television I've ever seen.

I just can't believe they appointed him.

Again, let me stress, I'm not saying I think he will fail, and I DO think that having given him the job, you owe him the chance to make it work. I'm saying I think you could have made a much better appointment, a forward thinking one, one which would break with the club's recent history of questionable management - new ownership, new money, debts cleared, manager who wasn't "the owner's man" jettisoned, a chance to show a break with the previous regime, but a chance missed.

That's just my opinion, but I'm interested to hear how many of you had that feeling too, whether at the time of the appointment you thought 'fuck it, what the hell' and if so, how you feel at this point.

Neither I nor anybody else here believes that he was the best appointment, or that he's a true world-class manager.

But like everyone else, I love the man to bits and just can't bring myself to be hostile towards him, even when he makes some surely shocking decisions.

From an empirical standpoint, I think he'll do better at better once he gets used to the job and his managerial skills sharpen back up to where they used to be. Hopefully he'll also get a boost from being able to sign his own players in the summer.

So summary, I don't think he was the best appointment, but I just love him so much so I don't really care. He deserves his chance to stabilize us and take us places again.

In this order:

Gutted (as I made clear on here and to friends when it was announced).

Worried.

Questioning myself.

Sentimental.

Excited.

Worried.

Cautious is where I am now. I'm dying for Keegan to do well, not just for me and us all, but also for him. I love the bloke. But I have plenty of serious concerns.

I personally think and still do it was mistake to hire him, all those Geordies going back to the time  when he was in charge thinking he will bring back those days of glory are being over sentimental and day dreaming, he never was a tactition! and the game has become that these days he's out of his depth I'm afraid I would love it if he could prove me wrong but I don't see it happening though, In my opinion he was brought back for the sentimentality which in my opinion isn't forward thinking.

Neither I nor anybody else here believes that he was the best appointment, or that he's a true world-class manager.

But like everyone else, I love the man to bits and just can't bring myself to be hostile towards him, even when he makes some surely shocking decisions.

From an empirical standpoint, I think he'll do better at better once he gets used to the job and his managerial skills sharpen back up to where they used to be. Hopefully he'll also get a boost from being able to sign his own players in the summer.

So summary, I don't think he was the best appointment, but I just love him so much so I don't really care. He deserves his chance to stabilize us and take us places again.

No, I'm not sure he was the "best" appointment [although he may turn out to be]

Who in your opinion would have been the "best" appointment and why ?

Just now, I'm confident if we stay up he will leave us better off than when he came. And you never know he might just do what he did before with the backing and a bit of luck.

I know one thing, nobody deserves to be manager of this club and win a trophy more than him.

Cautious is where I am now. I'm dying for Keegan to do well, not just for me and us all, but also for him. I love the bloke. But I have plenty of serious concerns.

The return of a previous hero is always laden with extra worry, though, lest they besmirch your memories of them.

I felt the same with Sir Graham Taylor's return as manager, and Andy Gray's return as a player.

On the flipside, as you said, it is that extra bit exciting.

When I first heard it, I was slightly gutted. I was hoping for a "fresher" manager.

When I came home though, and read the replies on here and saw the buzz in Newcastle, I changed my mind. NUFC really needed someone who could bring the fans back behind the team, someone who can get the bitterness go away, and for that day the appointment did just that.

So far, since he's been here, we've obviously haven't done very well. I'm very cautios though to assess how much of that should be put on him.  I think we were extremely unlucky against both boro and blackburn, and could've had a win against Bolton as well, and had things just gone our way in those three games, we'd be in a totally different situation.

The way I feel now is, that if we can just get our first win under him and stay up, he will make us into a better side next season.

I was pretty dissappointed at first, I thought surely there was better to appoint manager. About 5minutes later I was running round the house ringing all my mates and getting really exciteable for the Stoke game and obviously Keegan. Flashbacks of 96/97 hit my head hard and I couldn't stop thinking "Imagine if we did that again." In my opinion even though he wasn't the man for the job, I don't think the appointment of any other new manager would have lifted spirits so high around the city.

The whole city went mental, everyone chanted his name around the town and in the ground. It made an instant impact something which could have only happened with Keegan, Shearer or Robson.

Like others have said I can't bring myself to dislike or hate him, and for that very reason I will give him plenty time, and time is what any manager coming into this club needs. The only thing is when it starts gannin down the shiter you have to change it (Allardyce), if he wasn't slowly slipping into the Championship I reckon he would have got more time. But aye, Keegan wasn't/isn't the right man in my eyes, but I will back him to the fullest, and I hope to god he proves me wrong.

A part of my reaction to the Keegan appointment was a sentimental reaction and I'll not apologise for that, why should I?  I lived down your way when he first arrived as a player, I'd been travelling all over watching us both home and away.  The signing of Keegan the player was brilliant, we signed the England Captain, although he didn't keep that title for long.

I still followed the team both home and away but everything changed with that signing.  We always had a good following, no matter what some may try to tell you.  I was at games where we had as many fans as the home team, especially at Huddersfield the day we got promoted.  We had a full end behind the goal and we had fans in every end of the ground, that wasn't unusual either, it was more the norm.  I probably had my best couple of years as a fan because of my age and the fact that I was single, my income had one use and that was to follow Newcastle and everything that went with it.  Getting pissed before the match then stopping off again afterwards to get pissed again, it was probably the happiest time of my life.

When Keegan came back as manager we were struggling badly but Keegan once again lifted the doom and gloom, this time he was supported financially and he did take us on a rollercoaster ride.  It didn't start off well in the first part season but he showed enough to make me think that he could do a job for us again, I couldn't have dreamt that things would reach the sustained heights that they did.  I can't put into words what it was like to follow Newcastle and Keegan’s team, something I doubt we'll see again but if it's going to happen then Keegan has as good a chance as any to bring those times back.  I really think that Newcastle and Kevin Keegan are special together.

If I'm proven wrong this time and he fails then it will not take away what he's done here twice.  Some of the stick that he's had from some of our fans is nothing short of disgusting, some people need to get a grip of reality.  Keegan doesn’t owe this football club a thing and no matter what happens this time around, he’s deserved another chance.

Like Sir Bobby, he’ll have done more for us than we’ve done for him.  If Keegan does half as well as last time then we’ll be better after he left than we were before he came.

I think Keegan can do a good job here because he wants his team to play football the way the fans want it played, if he can reproduce his record at bringing in the same quality of players then he’s got a good chance of doing well again and as long as he‘s here he‘ll have my support.

What fans of other clubs think is totally irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, I hope Keegan proves them wrong, again.

Seriously, who were the better alternatives at the time?

Deschamps? The guy who was going to turn us down because of a lack of French schools in Newcastle?

Mark Hughes? His team are doing well lately aren't they? :lol:

Shearer? Fuck off. Now that would have been a sentimental appointment...and the sentiment would have been only one way.

We know with Keegan we'll get a team that will punch their weight eventually. and we know that if it doesn't work out he will walk rather than sit tight holding out for the money like that cunt Souness.

I personally think and still do it was mistake to hire him, all those Geordies going back to the time  when he was in charge thinking he will bring back those days of glory are being over sentimental and day dreaming, he never was a tactition! and the game has become that these days he's out of his depth I'm afraid I would love it if he could prove me wrong but I don't see it happening though, In my opinion he was brought back for the sentimentality which in my opinion isn't forward thinking.

Allardyce was a tactician and that did us no good and as I said earlier in another thread, I saw more tactics from Keegan last night than I have in all of the games under Allardyce.

No, I'm not sure he was the "best" appointment [although he may turn out to be]

Who in your opinion would have been the "best" appointment and why ?

Just now, I'm confident if we stay up he will leave us better off than when he came. And you never know he might just do what he did before with the backing and a bit of luck.

I know one thing, nobody deserves to be manager of this club and win a trophy more than him.

Agreed, Keven Keegan owes this club nothing, no matter what happens this time.

A part of my reaction to the Keegan appointment was a sentimental reaction and I'll not apologise for that, why should I?  I lived down your way when he first arrived as a player, I'd been travelling all over watching us both home and away.  The signing of Keegan the player was brilliant, we signed the England Captain, although he didn't keep that title for long.

I still followed the team both home and away but everything changed with that signing.  We always had a good following, no matter what some may try to tell you.  I was at games where we had as many fans as the home team, especially at Huddersfield the day we got promoted.  We had a full end behind the goal and we had fans in every end of the ground, that wasn't unusual either, it was more the norm.  I probably had my best couple of years as a fan because of my age and the fact that I was single, my income had one use and that was to follow Newcastle and everything that went with it.  Getting pissed before the match then stopping off again afterwards to get pissed again, it was probably the happiest time of my life.

When Keegan came back as manager we were struggling badly but Keegan once again lifted the doom and gloom, this time he was supported financially and he did take us on a rollercoaster ride.  It didn't start off well in the first part season but he showed enough to make me think that he could do a job for us again, I couldn't have dreamt that things would reach the sustained heights that they did.  I can't put into words what it was like to follow Newcastle and Keegan’s team, something I doubt we'll see again but if it's going to happen then Keegan has as good a chance as any to bring those times back.  I really think that Newcastle and Kevin Keegan are special together.

If I'm proven wrong this time and he fails then it will not take away what he's done here twice.  Some of the stick that he's had from some of our fans is nothing short of disgusting, some people need to get a grip of reality.  Keegan doesn’t owe this football club a thing and no matter what happens this time around, he’s deserved another chance.

Like Sir Bobby, he’ll have done more for us than we’ve done for him.  If Keegan does half as well as last time then we’ll be better after he left than we were before he came.

I think Keegan can do a good job here because he wants his team to play football the way the fans want it played, if he can reproduce his record at bringing in the same quality of players then he’s got a good chance of doing well again and as long as he‘s here he‘ll have my support.

What fans of other clubs think is totally irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, I hope Keegan proves them wrong, again.

Great post Mick. Really well said.

The return of a previous hero is always laden with extra worry, though, lest they besmirch your memories of them.

I felt the same with Sir Graham Taylor's return as manager, and Andy Gray's return as a player.

On the flipside, as you said, it is that extra bit exciting.

This is his third time at the club, the second was better than the first.  Keegan has a very good record with Newcastle United so why should we be worried this time?

Allardyce was a tactician and that did us no good and as I said earlier in another thread, I saw more tactics from Keegan last night than I have in all of the games under Allardyce.

I didn't see the game the other night so I can't comment on that as for Allardyce I never thought he was that big of a tactician he had the reputation stifling other teams if you call that tactics then fair enough!. For whats it's worth I wasn't particularly impressed with his appointment also, I just found the timing of his sacking a little bit stupid.

Initially, I was disappointed. I wanted someone with a pedigree of success, in terms of winning a European top-flight league, and doing things in Europe, not necessarily winning the UEFA Cup or Champs but doing well.

Failing that, I wanted a younger, ambitious manager that had impressed technically elsewhere. If we couldn't get a manager who had proven himself at winning a league at least I wanted one that was up to the tactical side of it.

But after he was appointed I thought that as long as Ashley is willing to back him substantially with $$$$ then he is not a bad choice. He has certainely managed us at the top of the EPL before, he obviously can aim at winning the league and has won lower leagues before.

I would much prefer him to another Allardyce type who had succeeded in bringing a club from the bottom half of the table to about 5th or 6th  (I saw 'arry in this category.) I did not want another manager who would always be content to have us sniffing about 4th at the best. Ashley has a lot of money, I want a manager arrogant enough to want to use it in a big way. I do not want to be signing 'bargain' off cuts from other EPL clubs that they didn't want anymore.

So I decided Keegan was OK. He obviously has the ability to bring in genuine stars from other clubs who are wanted by their clubs & hence cost good money, and has done it before. He has managed at the top of the EPL before and would have learned from that experience. He has built winning sides before, albeit in lower leagues. He has built tactically adept sides.

It can only work if he is backed with big cash. His appointment itself signals big expectations of going back to those glory years. If he isn't given the clout to bring in big players then disillusion will set in very quickly as the comparison with his previous run is so easy to make.

So on those grounds I'm reasonably happy and optimistic. I think he is going to be backed or he would not have been stupid enough to have signed up. I think he will go large, and either succeed or fail large. That's what we want here.

Terrible appointment for me, decision lacked brains and was all heart, felt like it since the day it was announced. One of very few at the time felt that way, but sadly I think we have a few more in our camp now.

Very happy with the decision, if a bit nervous at the time. 

HIs one mistake so far was overconfidence in thinking he could get our nonperforming players upto scratch.  eg he should have bough min 3 player in in jan, think this showed a bit of rustyness in the transfer market.

Can only hope that the birmingham game was a line in the sand against the wave of defeats.

Once the rocket reignites theni think we can head back up to the good times.

Still got faith in KK )

HIs one mistake so far was overconfidence in thinking he could get our nonperforming players upto scratch.  eg he should have bough min 3 player in in jan, think this showed a bit of rustyness in the transfer market.

To be honest I think this was all part of building up confidence, if he came out and said we need a whole new team the players would be like screw this why should I play for him when he's going to get shot of me. It's happened before at this club with managers saying what positions they are going to buy players in mid way in to the season. Sort of shits all over the player in that position really.