Laurent Robert to Toronto FC

thewellander

Makes ya wonder, how the hell do some decent footballers become so shite.

To me it also is nice to show that MLS doesn't just take any old has-been to play in the league.  They are actually trying to build quality sides in the MLS and won't take any ex-EPL player.

Guest Sniffer

Robert did some great things but was never a great player IMO

very daft thing to say

didn't you say you considered Milner a fantastic player a while back  :nope:

BigAl's comment is fair enough. Robert was far too inconsistent to be regarded as a great player. Brilliant on his day but not enough of them most of which was down to him not being arsed.

Robert did some great things but was never a great player IMO

very daft thing to say

didn't you say you considered Milner a fantastic player a while back  :nope:

BigAl's comment is fair enough. Robert was far too inconsistent to be regarded as a great player. Brilliant on his day but not enough of them most of which was down to him not being arsed.

ah well, going by that logic 'his day' must have occured in 9 out of 10 games during the 03-04 season

The words "great" and "good" are subjective, different meanings to different people. IMO Laurent Robert had GREAT technique and an excellent footballing brain. However, he was also lazy and fairly inconsistant (overall in his time here).

Some great memories of him like. Spurs 4-0 in particular.

Look, I liked him as much as the next fan but he at times was one of the most frustrating players I've seen put on the shirt.

Every player has an off day as it were but his were more frequent in all honesty than I would have liked. Sometimes he was fantastic, scoring wonderful goals (I remember getting excited each and every time he was about to take a free kick from a shootable distance) and setting countless goals up with his set-pieces and passing/crossing ability and then the next game he was nowhere near that level which was frustrating because you knew he could do better.

I watched some highlights of a home toronto game the other day on TV here. They obviously share the field with the CFL team (CFL is well into it's season now). They made no attempt to cover the markings for the CFL team, it was an absolute nightmare trying to determine where the penalty area was. Robert replaced Dichio who went off injured in the game !

The problem with Robert was that on his off-days he was truly useless, almost a hindrance to the team, and contributed almost nothing positive whatsoever.

That said, he was great for 3 or 4 years and was one of the primary reasons we got ourselves back into the Top 4 for a time under Bobby. His ability to either score or set up a goal from absolutely nothing won us countless games that would otherwise have been drawsagainst the mid-table clubs at that time and elevated us above them, and he was no doubt a very good signing for us.

Always found him to be a real disappointment in bigger games though. Against the best sides you can't afford passengers, which Robert often was, and that's a real negative mark against him for me.

Souness was just like Wenger. He could see when a player was past their best and knew when to get rid.  :shifty:

:lol:

Although he was poor in his final season for us, it's pretty much amazing just how shit he's been ever since he left.