NUFC want to offer Owen new deal

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest rebel_yell12

Was very edgy in the interview. Still can't see him signing a new contract.

i just think we have to accept he's a bloke who won't give anything away, and sits on the fence, he's media trained to death.

he'll sign no doubt i reckon

Like he did for Liverpool?

Bit of a difference in the situation, as I doubt Real Madrid will be coming in for him.  That's tempting at any time, to play for a club with the reputation of Real Madrid, and even more tempting when the new manager for your current club makes it fairly clear you're not important in his plans for the club.  Benitez had a 45 minute meeting with Carragher, an hour or so with Gerrard, and ten minutes with Owen that summer (that's what the word is amongst Liverpool fans, at least).  Benitez wanted to break up the "Mersey Mafia" -- Gerrard, Carragher, Murphy, Owen, & Hamann -- and within the summer sold both Owen & Murphy (respectively the best mates of Carra & Gerrard) and the following summer sold Hamann.  Benitez didn't get another undroppable striker in for three full seasons -- he wanted to rotate his players, and Owen was virtually undroppable, and especially not for the likes of Kuyt, etc.  The Liverpool situation, if you ask a reasonable Liverpool fan (finding one can be tricky, I admit) was at least as much Benitez's fault as Owen's.  Does it look like Keegan wants rid of Michael Owen?

Also, there's the whole "I'm very enthused" etc. statements which I wouldn't consider particularly edgy or intended to dodge the question.  What more does the lad have to do to convince people he wants to stay?  He can't LIE and say he's signed or whatever, and personally I wouldn't want him to LIE and say "we're in talks, I'll sign next week" or whatever because he has had a talk with the manager but not the people who sign his paycheck and he doesn't know what's on offer or even if there will be an offer for certain.  Owen's being honest, not "edgy", imo --  there's nothing for him to consider, as of yet, but he's looking forward to next season, very enthused, etc.

All that said, part of me agrees with the "media trained to death" comment.  The lad's been brought up on the receiving end of extensive media coverage, and he rarely puts a foot wrong because he's usually so cautious in what he says.  He's honest, but not overly so -- very diplomatic, I'd say.  Personally, I find it a bit refreshing that we're not hearing about every detail in the papers.  It's much more professional of him, imo, to be cautiously optimistic rather than promise things he might not be able to deliver on.  After all, he said he wanted to re-sign with Liverpool, then the Madrid offer came in and Benitez came in, and now a portion of Liverpool fans hate him for a perceived "betrayal".  Lad's probably learned the hard way to be very careful what he says. 

i just think we have to accept he's a bloke who won't give anything away, and sits on the fence, he's media trained to death.

Bit of a difference in the situation, as I doubt Real Madrid will be coming in for him.  That's tempting at any time, to play for a club with the reputation of Real Madrid, and even more tempting when the new manager for your current club makes it fairly clear you're not important in his plans for the club.  Benitez had a 45 minute meeting with Carragher, an hour or so with Gerrard, and ten minutes with Owen that summer (that's what the word is amongst Liverpool fans, at least).  Benitez wanted to break up the "Mersey Mafia" -- Gerrard, Carragher, Murphy, Owen, & Hamann -- and within the summer sold both Owen & Murphy (respectively the best mates of Carra & Gerrard) and the following summer sold Hamann.  Benitez didn't get another undroppable striker in for three full seasons -- he wanted to rotate his players, and Owen was virtually undroppable, and especially not for the likes of Kuyt, etc.  The Liverpool situation, if you ask a reasonable Liverpool fan (finding one can be tricky, I admit) was at least as much Benitez's fault as Owen's.  Does it look like Keegan wants rid of Michael Owen?

Also, there's the whole "I'm very enthused" etc. statements which I wouldn't consider particularly edgy or intended to dodge the question.  What more does the lad have to do to convince people he wants to stay?  He can't LIE and say he's signed or whatever, and personally I wouldn't want him to LIE and say "we're in talks, I'll sign next week" or whatever because he has had a talk with the manager but not the people who sign his paycheck and he doesn't know what's on offer or even if there will be an offer for certain.  Owen's being honest, not "edgy", imo --  there's nothing for him to consider, as of yet, but he's looking forward to next season, very enthused, etc.

All that said, part of me agrees with the "media trained to death" comment.  The lad's been brought up on the receiving end of extensive media coverage, and he rarely puts a foot wrong because he's usually so cautious in what he says.  He's honest, but not overly so -- very diplomatic, I'd say.  Personally, I find it a bit refreshing that we're not hearing about every detail in the papers.  It's much more professional of him, imo, to be cautiously optimistic rather than promise things he might not be able to deliver on.  After all, he said he wanted to re-sign with Liverpool, then the Madrid offer came in and Benitez came in, and now a portion of Liverpool fans hate him for a perceived "betrayal".  Lad's probably learned the hard way to be very careful what he says. 

I believe nothing from him until he's signed on the dotted line.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

"As for the penalty, the England striker added: 'I was going to place it but Joey (Barton) put a seed of doubt in my mind, he said `blast it, he'll go early'."

Should we sign a guy who listens to Joey Barton?  :kasper:

bit of a different situation now though isn't it.

i don't see the likes of madrid beating his door down these days

"There's very few clubs that any of the players here would leave Newcastle for where they're going to go higher, and I would include Michael in that, because I don't consider Liverpool or Man City or any of these clubs that would possibly want Michael to be any bigger than Newcastle United."

Haha excellent Mr Keegan=D

I thought his comments in the match programme today were very positive.  Said he was very happy here and it was the most exciting time since he joined the club and that he could not be happier with the manager and is enjoying playing under him.  Said that Keegan had told him to tell his agent that the Chairman would be contacting him to arrange a meeting soon.

He did refer the Sky interviewer to his programme notes before stumblling through the rest of the interview.

I read it as he wants to stay subject to a contract being agreed. 

Guest Knightrider

He will sign IMO.

He'd be off like a shot if one of the big four came in for him and I genuinly believe that's what he's ideally hoping for despite his obvious happiness, hence his reluctance to commit himself publicly for the time being. He'll see what's what in the summer before signing, i.e. who shows an interest in him if any and what we do ourselves in the transfer market. I think he'll sign btw.

He will sign IMO.

He'd be off like a shot if one of the big four came in for him and I genuinly believe that's what he's ideally hoping for despite his obvious happiness, hence his reluctance to commit himself publicly for the time being. He'll see what's what in the summer before signing, i.e. who shows an interest in him if any and what we do ourselves in the transfer market. I think he'll sign btw.

With his new found role as a withdrawn striker, may Liverpool possibly look at bringing him back and pairing him with Torres?

Sure hope not.

He will sign IMO.

Well which of our players wouldn't? Not many. Fact is he's the only player we have that any of the top 4 would be remotely interested in.

Why would he commit himself publicly to anything when the chairman hasn't even spoken to him about it yet?

Hope he signs, as much for him as ourselves. He's never really been a hero at any club he's been at, but he could be one here. It's up to him, at the end of the day, and KK as well, of course.

I hope he signs too but I think hes doing the right thing in waiting to see how ambitious we are in the summer, if you were in his position you'd do exactly the same. Common sense to me, he wants to see the calibre of players we're going for.

People need to be patient with this contract situation even though we've waited so long for him to regain fitness. They should start talking now but ultimately his mind will be made up when new players start arriving, which I have no problem with at all.

• 1 month later...

Newcastle United have taken advantage of Michael Owen's absence from the England squad by moving forward their second round of contract negotiations with the striker. After holding initial discussions last month, the club and player will attempt to reach an agreement about extending a deal that has 12 months to run. With Owen expressing optimism yesterday that Newcastle can challenge for a Uefa Cup place next season, his representatives will sit down with club officials in the week beginning on June 15.

Owen earns £115,000 a week, a figure that does not sit comfortably with the club's desire for financial restraint, and there have been reports that he will not be offered more than £80,000 a week. Yet Owen is hopeful that next season will bring sharp improvements to a Newcastle team who finished twelfth in the Barclays Premer League. “If we set off with the same players, which is a good squad of players, we've got to aim for the Uefa Cup, the top eight or top six if we have a fantastic season,” he said.

Owen's rivals for the job of partnering Wayne Rooney in the England team came away from the friendly against Trinidad & Tobago with differing emotions. Dean Ashton was less upbeat than Jermain Defoe, who scored two of the goals in the 3-0 win. “I was reasonably pleased,” Ashton said. “I probably could have done a little bit better and there were a few touches and passes that could have gone better, but that's being overcritical. Hopefully I've done enough to impress for the next squad.”

Defoe believes that his move to Portsmouth from Tottenham Hotspur may have revived his fortunes at international level. “I'm delighted I made that move,” he said. “It's great to be playing regularly again at club level because that gives you confidence.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4053129.ece

Newcastle United have taken advantage of Michael Owen's absence from the England squad by moving forward their second round of contract negotiations with the striker. After holding initial discussions last month, the club and player will attempt to reach an agreement about extending a deal that has 12 months to run. With Owen expressing optimism yesterday that Newcastle can challenge for a Uefa Cup place next season, his representatives will sit down with club officials in the week beginning on June 15.

Owen earns £115,000 a week, a figure that does not sit comfortably with the club's desire for financial restraint, and there have been reports that he will not be offered more than £80,000 a week. Yet Owen is hopeful that next season will bring sharp improvements to a Newcastle team who finished twelfth in the Barclays Premer League. “If we set off with the same players, which is a good squad of players, we've got to aim for the Uefa Cup, the top eight or top six if we have a fantastic season,” he said.

Owen's rivals for the job of partnering Wayne Rooney in the England team came away from the friendly against Trinidad & Tobago with differing emotions. Dean Ashton was less upbeat than Jermain Defoe, who scored two of the goals in the 3-0 win. “I was reasonably pleased,” Ashton said. “I probably could have done a little bit better and there were a few touches and passes that could have gone better, but that's being overcritical. Hopefully I've done enough to impress for the next squad.”

Defoe believes that his move to Portsmouth from Tottenham Hotspur may have revived his fortunes at international level. “I'm delighted I made that move,” he said. “It's great to be playing regularly again at club level because that gives you confidence.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4053129.ece

Good news.

The lack of activity on the contract situations of both Owen and Taylor are a bit worrying for me. Surely we've had enough time to either get the deals done or come to an agreement that either don't want them or they don't want us, by now. Our place in the PL for next season has been secured for well over a month now, that's more than enough time to sort this out.

The worry is that, there's two key births in your squad that are doubtful, how can you plan your transfer activity if you don't know if you need to replace a player or not ? I would like the contracts sorted out before we dip into the market, if we've got to find a replacement for Owen then that's a hefty wedge of the kitty we'll have to putr aside because with his injury record and contract situation, the replacement will not be self financed through the sale of Owen.

If they are not planning to talk to him until the 15th June, I think we may as well write off June for buying anyone that significantly eats into our supposedly small trasfer budget. This summer is starting to worry me.

The lack of activity on the contract situations of both Owen and Taylor are a bit worrying for me. Surely we've had enough time to either get the deals done or come to an agreement that either don't want them or they don't want us, by now. Our place in the PL for next season has been secured for well over a month now, that's more than enough time to sort this out.

The worry is that, there's two key births in your squad that are doubtful, how can you plan your transfer activity if you don't know if you need to replace a player or not ? I would like the contracts sorted out before we dip into the market, if we've got to find a replacement for Owen then that's a hefty wedge of the kitty we'll have to putr aside because with his injury record and contract situation, the replacement will not be self financed through the sale of Owen.

If they are not planning to talk to him until the 15th June, I think we may as well write off June for buying anyone that significantly eats into our supposedly small trasfer budget. This summer is starting to worry me.

The players are on their post-season holidays at the minute. Would you be happy if you boss brought you in on your holidays to sort out work business? I would certainly be pissed off.

You can argue that it'll be sorted out with advisors and crap and need not involve the player but I bet they'd like to be there.

We're not even into the transfer window yet and the players are still all away on their holidays, just give it time.

The players are on their post-season holidays at the minute. Would you be happy if you boss brought you in on your holidays to sort out work business? I would certainly be pissed off.

You can argue that it'll be sorted out with advisors and crap and need not involve the player but I bet they'd like to be there.

We're not even into the transfer window yet and the players are still all away on their holidays, just give it time.

Two things, talks could have been started well before the end of the season. The club publically announced that they were waiting to secure our PL status before  opening talks.

Secondly, the bulk of the talking does not require the parcipation of the player himself, it's done with the representatives, being on hioliday has no bearing.

As a matter of point, how long should these things actually take anyway, I want xxx amount, club willling to pay XXX. I want a couple of bonuses, and a contract condition or two. It's really not as complicated as people would have you believe.

If you ask me it's all a bunch stalling tactics from one or both sides.

Two things, talks could have been started well before the end of the season. The club publically announced that they were waiting to secure our PL status before  opening talks.

Secondly, the bulk of the talking does not require the parcipation of the player himself, it's done with the representatives, being on hioliday has no bearing.

As a matter of point, how long should these things actually take anyway, I want xxx amount, club willling to pay XXX. I want a couple of bonuses, and a contract condition or two. It's really not as complicated as people would have you believe.

If you ask me it's all a bunch stalling tactics from one or both sides.

a) Our Premier League status did need to be secured before we began negotiations, and it is a load of claptrap to suggest otherwise.

b) How do you know that we aren't just waiting for these players to come home, speak to the manager and put pen to paper?