Sven to be sacked - BBC Sport

lovejoy

I don't mind Man City, but I've found it very amusing the way the second half of the season has gone for them after the big I-am we were getting previously. Still, though, the early signs were very good and surely given more money and more time to bring in more quality and build up the squad Sven could easily expect to better their performance next season.

Madness if he goes.

Madness TBH.

Villas first season under O'Neill, was simliar, started off well then drifted toward the end of the season. Next season under Sven i reckon they would automatically be in UEFA positions, especially considering they will be ambitious in the summer (Ronaldinho etc), i just don't get it.

My view is that Shinawatra seems to be aiming much higher. I think he's trying to do a Chelsea, doomed to end in failure.

I predicted a shit second half of the season for them originally but then went back on it as they seemed to be carrying the form through xmas. Sven's done a tidy job and has over-achieved this season imo. Some of his better players have gone off the boil a bit like Elano and they need a few more players.

However, this is just the sort of idiocy that you are at risk of getting when you have the ex prime minister of Thailand in control of your club.

They've got 10 more points than last season already. Hope they sack him in a way as it can only be good for us imo.

They still need a class striker imo, Benjani/Vassell aren't gonna cut it.

That Caicedo guy doesn't look ready yet.

None of there strikers really cut the mustard to be fair. Mpenza and Castillo are both shit unless Bojinov is going to be immense when he returns but it'll prob take him time to settle in the Prem and who knows how he has been affecting by his injury. They also need a good right sided player IMO similar to Petrov.

Madness TBH.

Villas first season under O'Neill, was simliar, started off well then drifted toward the end of the season.

Villa didn't spend £50 million on players, then again they also weren't close to relegation last season like Man City were I suppose.  I certainly wouldn't say Sven's been a failure at this point but he has made some pretty big mistakes.

Madness TBH.

Villas first season under O'Neill, was simliar, started off well then drifted toward the end of the season.

Villa didn't spend £50 million on players, then again they also weren't close to relegation last season like Man City were I suppose.  I certainly wouldn't say Sven's been a failure at this point but he has made some pretty big mistakes.

Have not followed that closely, what were his big mistakes?

Fucking Mental!

Sven has been brilliant, second half of the season there has been a massive dip, but it really pisses me off how managers dont get enough time!

Especially when, imo, they are doing well!

I'm not really sure how "We will look at it at the end of the season and assess the club and the people involved." instantly translates to "I'm going to sack Sven, the useless, underachieving tit  :frantic:" for some people. There's no way he's going to get rid of Eriksson.

I would however be worried if I were a City fan by comments like "We'll probably have to sell some players and buy some new ones. We need some defenders, midfielders - midfielders are the key." Which suggest 1) he doesn't know what he's talking about and 2) he may try to influence/interfere with transfer policy.

Madness TBH.

Have not followed that closely, what were his big mistakes?

He bought Rolando Bianchi for about £9 million (?) and then ended up loaning him out to Lazio only 6 months later.  Also he bought Felipe Caicedo for £5 million and the lad hasn't been considered good enough to start a game yet..  Like I said it would be harsh to consider him a failure just because of a poor second half to the season, but he has made a couple of mistakes that might have pissed Shiniwatra off a bit.

Guest yoshi

I'm cynical, so I'd say Thaksin's bid for Man City is partly politically motivated.

He wants a high-profile team to up his popularity in his football-crazy homeland, and failing to land the big one (Liverpool), he now hopes to make one in the form of Man City. Pity that unlike politics, you can't always have a fast-track to success and fame in football.

Guest Stephen927

I can't see the benefit of sacking Sven. He's done well considering the upheaval of players and bringing in many players in such a short space of time.

It was inevitable that their little honeymoon period would end, but I think he is the man to take them forward. Would be good news for the teams around City if he were to be sacked, because the learning curve this season under Sven and the progression shown will be completely wasted if he were to be sacked. Back to the drawing board with a new manager next season.

:doh:

I'm cynical, so I'd say Thaksin's bid for Man City is partly politically motivated.

He wants a high-profile team to up his popularity in his football-crazy homeland, and failing to land the big one (Liverpool), he now hopes to make one in the form of Man City. Pity that unlike politics, you can't always have a fast-track to success and fame in football.

Of course it was done for his popularity. Thaksin knows how to play to the crowds - well, at least the ones that he gives a shit about.

I think this is his way of saying 'I ain't gonna give Sven lots of cash' - he's trying to come out of it looking like a smart guy because if he keeps praising Sven and doesn't give him the cash, who will get the brunt of the criticism from City fans? Him of course. But, in this scenario, there'll be fans out there who agree with him being prudent and so he won't be pressured into spending that much money come summer time. He won't sack Sven - he's too smart to do that.

Edit - I also think that he's not spending any money because of the uncertainty of his own future atm (possibility of jail time etc.) but when his cronies acquit him of all those charges and all his cash is unfrozen, he'll spend again.