Shearer - Amazing

Decky

Biggest hero, idol, whatever you want to call it ive ever known, seen a caption under his name on MOTD there now and couldnt help but remind people of this astonishing record:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/deckym88/leaguegoals.jpg

No one comes close, fucking legend :clap:

Biggest hero, idol, whatever you want to call it ive ever known, seen a caption under his name on MOTD there now and couldnt help but remind people of this astonishing record:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/deckym88/leaguegoals.jpg

No one comes close, fucking legend :clap:

4 of the top 10 highest scorers played for us at one time in their careers, definitely something to be proud of.

To score 20 League goals in a season is a cracking achievement. To do it for 13 seasons off the belt to get up to 260 won't be equalled for decades imo.  :smug:

Guest gggg

73 goals between Shearer and Cole and 74 goals between Cole and the rest of the top 10. mental.

Shearer - the man that made me support Newcastle. The best.

???

Certainly something i would admit too, gloryhunters do things like that...

and you chose newcastle united? ....  :laugh:

Player i grew up too love along with Solano and Robert. true legend in the game.

I wouldnt use that tally as "proof" of him being the best, as it isnt matched or is going to be very hard to beat for several reasons.

Top foreign players wont get near that tally purely because they hadnt been playing from the start of their careers (few seasons in for Shearer), nor did they play till the end. Henry and Van Nistelrooy are good examples. On a side note, a very rough examination of figures shows that Henry scored 174 in 254 games, 0.68 goals per game, over 8 seasons thats 21.75 per season, compared to Sheasrer's 260 in 441 games, 0.58 per game, over 14 seasons that is 18.57 per game. (Van Nistelroy = 0.63 goals per game, 19 goals per season). Thing is, these stats mean little without in depth analysis (e.g. injured season, removing penalties if comparing a penalty taker vs non penalty taking forward, etc) and taking into consideration other factors, such as assists, aging performances watering down those stats, etc.

At the same time, how many players will be fortunate enough to be in a situation where they were guaranteed a first team spot at their club regardless of physique/performances till the end of their career? Top clubs will move a player on once they age and the standards drop, or at least replace them in the first team. As an example, what would Andy Cole be on now had he never left

Theres also the notion that the Premiership was considerably weaker in the early/mid 90's compared to today. Top/good players in the mid 90's would naturally be the same calibre today, but there were more Derby standard sides in the Premiership back then imo. Regardless of what it was like at the time, it'll be alot harder for strikers of tomorrow to score as freely, when mid table teams like ourselves, Pompey, West Ham, City, Villa, etc, have huge amounts of money to spend (as do the top four) and no doubt many of the good/top players around the world would consider a move to the Premiership ahead of La Liga or Serie A (a complete reversal of the situation compared to the mid 90s when nearly all top foreign players went to those two leagues).

My absolute hero. :thup: I was fortunate to first start understanding football just as Shearer came onto the scene. He's all i've ever known up until a couple of seasons ago. Legend.

I wouldnt use that tally as "proof" of him being the best, as it isnt matched or is going to be very hard to beat for several reasons.

Top foreign players wont get near that tally purely because they hadnt been playing from the start of their careers (few seasons in for Shearer), nor did they play till the end. Henry and Van Nistelrooy are good examples. On a side note, a very rough examination of figures shows that Henry scored 174 in 254 games, 0.68 goals per game, over 8 seasons thats 21.75 per season, compared to Sheasrer's 260 in 441 games, 0.58 per game, over 14 seasons that is 18.57 per game. (Van Nistelroy = 0.63 goals per game, 19 goals per season). Thing is, these stats mean little without in depth analysis (e.g. injured season, removing penalties if comparing a penalty taker vs non penalty taking forward, etc) and taking into consideration other factors, such as assists, aging performances watering down those stats, etc.

At the same time, how many players will be fortunate enough to be in a situation where they were guaranteed a first team spot at their club regardless of physique/performances till the end of their career? Top clubs will move a player on once they age and the standards drop, or at least replace them in the first team. As an example, what would Andy Cole be on now had he never left

Theres also the notion that the Premiership was considerably weaker in the early/mid 90's compared to today. Top/good players in the mid 90's would naturally be the same calibre today, but there were more Derby standard sides in the Premiership back then imo. Regardless of what it was like at the time, it'll be alot harder for strikers of tomorrow to score as freely, when mid table teams like ourselves, Pompey, West Ham, City, Villa, etc, have huge amounts of money to spend (as do the top four) and no doubt many of the good/top players around the world would consider a move to the Premiership ahead of La Liga or Serie A (a complete reversal of the situation compared to the mid 90s when nearly all top foreign players went to those two leagues).

Sorry but his record is brilliant and would have been even better without his serious injuries at both Blackburn and here.

you've also hit upon the problem with using things like goals per season or per game or whatever. RVN and Henry were only here during their peak years, they didn't also play a bunch of games as youngsters developing, or as old players not even half as good as they used to be, so their stats will always appear better. In shearer's case he had a few years of poor performances as he reached his mid 30s, and also suffered 2 or 3 seasons where he was totally decimated by career threatening injury and had to work his way back to fitness and form. that his stats are mere fractions away from Henry and RVN's is testament to how much of a brilliant goalscorer he was. the likes of cole and fowler had a similar amount of time inthe premiership and have never gotten close. i doubt even Owen will overhaul Shearer's record.

74 goals between Cole and the rest of the top 10. mental.

You mean 13

No. The gap between Shearer and Cole is 73. The gap between Cole and #10 on the list is 74.

Took me a while too. ;)