Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Isn't that a common procedure! Why would any player agree to leave when he's on a good contract? That's pretty much our problem at the moment as well...Ashley would be releasing every single player if that's possible but for example Butt, Nolan and Smith all had to paid off about 75% of their remaning contracts to get them leave(which I doubt they would anyway)

It is benefitial to the player - he is paid to leave

What benefits does it bring to a club ?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5472045,00.html

"Salgado must now decide whether he would prefer to have the final year of that deal paid off or accept the offer of a testimonial."

I don't understand - why would any club pay off someone last year's deal in order to release a player immediately?

Unless the player is seriously disruptive to the squad ? (of whom Salgaldo isn't)

Because the coach doesn't expect to play him at all, and doesn't want an extra person to coach.

Plenty of managers don't want to coach hundreds of players per training session. Like over population of schools.

Plus, he's fucking awful.

Isn't that a common procedure! Why would any player agree to leave when he's on a good contract? That's pretty much our problem at the moment as well...Ashley would be releasing every single player if that's possible but for example Butt, Nolan and Smith all had to paid off about 75% of their remaning contracts to get them leave(which I doubt they would anyway)

It is benefitial to the player - he is paid to leave

What benefits does it bring to a club ?

Nothing! In case the contract isn't payed off in its full value(as I guess most contracts are released with 75% of their values or close to that). Clubs are taking huge risks by signing players on long term contracts in the first place(unless the player is really worth the money) as we did with most of our current guys like Duff, Geremi, Smith, Butt, Nolan, Ameobi, Jonas, Coloccini the list goes on...think about how much the club would suffer to release all those and because of their huge wages no-one would take them even for free as they wouldn't take a pay cut

Guest ObaStar

if you salgado would you choose a testimonial or the final year of the contract. id prob take the testimonial

I wish I supported Villa (not because of Delph) I like their policy :(

It hurts even more because it reminds me of what our policy was like when Sir Bobby was manager.. Young, raw and british talent. Bellamy, Jenas, Woodgate, Ambrose, Milner etc. Then Freddy had his say and it turned into Kluivert, Carr and Butt, if you are to believe Bobby that is.

There'd be hell on if we bought jokers like Heskey, knight, Harewood and paid 12m for Milner.

There'd be hell on if we bought jokers like Heskey, knight, Harewood and paid 12m for Milner.

I've also noticed Cuellar doesn't get the same stick as the likes of Boumsong, Coloccini from their fans and the media despite a pretty average season given the money spent on him.

Not Milner  >:D

I just wish we were buying anyone!

Why?  They're about the most boring team in the league.

Season after season all they ever do is float about but never actually do anything of note.

Guest palnese

Liverpool and Madrid agree a fee for Xabi Alonso.

Liverpool should have went for cash +  Sneijder and Van der Vaart.

I think it's a very good signing for Real Madrid, not only is he an exceptional player but it's a player they needed, they don't have anyone with the level of passing ability that Alonso has, Guti isn't good enough but I can see Alonso alongside Diarra with Kaka,Ronaldo and Benzema playing infront of them.

Season after season all they ever do is float about but never actually do anything of note.

Like 16 of the 20 teams in the top flight, you mean?

Like 16 of the 20 teams in the top flight, you mean?

His point is stupid, but I would like to point out that that Villa's transfer policy is actually pretty awful insofar as how much they spend and what they receive in return. Villa's success is down to being well-coached and stable is a league of teams that are not.

His point is stupid, but I would like to point out that that Villa's transfer policy is actually pretty awful insofar as how much they spend and what they receive in return. Villa's success is down to being well-coached and stable is a league of teams that are not.

We've done what we have under MON despite his transfer policy, rather than because of it. Moyes, for example, is far more adept in the transfer market than O'Neill is.

However, having said that, life with him and Lerner hasn't been boring for a second (unlike the unremitting torpor of the last years of Ellis)

Cuellar I think will come good this season, though, and possibly Davies too (who, lest we forget, was on the fringes of the England squad earlier this season).

Luke Young, Ashley Young and Carew have all been good signings. As has Petrov (well, one excellent season, two gash ones).

He gets it wrong far too often for my liking, though.

Still, fuck it, he's got us back to 6th, which I believe is about our average position since the inception of the premiership. What he needs to do now is show his mettle and move us on. That'll be the challenge.

We've done what we have under MON despite his transfer policy, rather than because of it. Moyes, for example, is far more adept in the transfer market than O'Neill is.

However, having said that, life with him and Lerner hasn't been boring for a second (unlike the unremitting torpor of the last years of Ellis)

Cuellar I think will come good this season, though, and possibly Davies too (who, lest we forget, was on the fringes of the England squad earlier this season).

Luke Young, Ashley Young and Carew have all been good signings. As has Petrov (well, one excellent season, two gash ones).

Still, f*** it, he's got us back to 6th, which I believe is about our average position since the inception of the premiership. What he needs to do now is show his mettle and move us on. That'll be the challenge.

it cant be surely

Still, f*** it, he's got us back to 6th, which I believe is about our average position since the inception of the premiership. What he needs to do now is show his mettle and move us on. That'll be the challenge.

it cant be surely

Sixth in the all time PL table.

8th is our average position, though. Well, 8.1, if you will, so not far off.

It annoys me a bit that people think we'd been as we were in the last few years of Ellis for a long time, which is bollocks.

From 1996 - 2002 our finishes were 4th, 5th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 8th and 8th, then 2 years later, even Pugnose O'Leary managed a 6th. Our highest PL finish is 2nd.

Obviously, all the above assumes we buy into that "football was invented in 1992 bullshit", which of course, it wasn't.