Other clubs' transfers

Dave

The transfer market is shit this summer.

Villa, Newcastle, Everton - done next to nothing.

West Ham - no money

Liverpool - spent all their money, scraping round the back of the sofa to buy Barry

Man U - Berbatov probably, but Ronaldo not moving therefore no kick start to market as a whole

Arsenal - not spending, not selling Adebayour so even less likely to spend

The only clubs who've done well are Portsmouth and Spurs. I reckon they'll finish 5th and 6th as things stand at the moment.

Disagree on Pompey, I think Crouch will do well for them, but they've lost their best midfielder.

Portsmouth done well?

Worse than us for sure, yeh they got Crouch in but they also got rid of Muntari, they've basically bought one good player and sold another.

That's what I was thinking.

The transfer market is shit this summer.

Villa, Newcastle, Everton - done next to nothing.

West Ham - no money

Liverpool - spent all their money, scraping round the back of the sofa to buy Barry

Man U - Berbatov probably, but Ronaldo not moving therefore no kick start to market as a whole

Arsenal - not spending, not selling Adebayour so even less likely to spend

The only clubs who've done well are Portsmouth and Spurs. I reckon they'll finish 5th and 6th as things stand at the moment.

we've made our first big signing of the summer apparently, so it looks like it's just you and Everton who've not done much. (and man utd, but that's a different situation).

Liverpool have spent quite a lot tbh, over £30m atm and wouldn't be suprised if Barry ends up going there.

think O'Neill's been a twat about that transfer. could've had him gone and a good amount in the bank to go out and spend on a replacement. but as usual he's trying to keep all business til the very end of the window. earlier in his career he was touted as the next manager at clubs like man utd or liverpool but they'll will never look at him unless he takes a more professional approach to transfers.

O'Neill will never buy a Barry replacement - he could go out and buy one right now if he wanted, it isn't about the money - because, as you suggested, he cocks about for far too long umming and aahing about whether to spend the cash.

Word has it Lerner is getting *seriously* pissed off as he's given him shit loads of money to spend and he won't spend it.

I thought he'd played the Barry situation very well, though. Fuck them, pay what we want, or you don't get him. The only mistake was that stupid statement last week, which was a bit naive.

He'll go, and he'll go for about 18m, which isn't bad for a player who had half a season last year (and if you think this is sour grapes, trust me, it isn't - ask Dave, he'll back me up on this, I've been saying it for ages, before this potential move was ever mentioned).

Under Ellis we'd have creamed our pants and sold him for 8m last month.

He's a good player, but it makes me laugh when I see people say "your best player". Last season Young, Laursen and Bouma all had better seasons than Barry did.

O'Neill will never buy a Barry replacement - he could go out and buy one right now if he wanted, it isn't about the money - because, as you suggested, he cocks about for far too long umming and aahing about whether to spend the cash.

Word has it Lerner is getting *seriously* pissed off as he's given him shit loads of money to spend and he won't spend it.

I thought he'd played the Barry situation very well, though. Fuck them, pay what we want, or you don't get him. The only mistake was that stupid statement last week, which was a bit naive.

He'll go, and he'll go for about 18m, which isn't bad for a player who had half a season last year (and if you think this is sour grapes, trust me, it isn't - ask Dave, he'll back me up on this, I've been saying it for ages, before this potential move was ever mentioned).

He's a good player, but it makes me laugh when I see people say "your best player". Last season Young, Laursen and Bouma all had better seasons than Barry did.

i remember you saying Barry has been in poor form, round about the time he started playing well for england.

seems like you're taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back. it's still an improvement but must be frustrating considering it could be so much better.

you'll probably pull off a couple of signings on the last day, one of them will be good and the other will be a dark horse like knight or harewood.

mind you, now i check, even your lot have spent quite a bit if you include making Curtis Davies a permanent transfer. it's just that the rest of your transfers are a bit shite.

I'd say Barry is your best player in the same way that Owen is our best player, Ashton is West Ham's, Downing is Middlesboro's etc. as in they're the highest profile player at the club because they've played for England the most, and are rated highest in the eyes of other fans. Actually being the best doesn't necessarily come in to it.

Sevilla signed Aldo Duscher for only 3m euros (+1m future bonuses depending on titles etc) whch was his buyout clause........played well for Racing Santander last season. Had him on trial last season iirc

Might have been useful for us as a defensive midfielder especially at that price

I'd say Barry is your best player in the same way that Owen is our best player, Ashton is West Ham's, Downing is Middlesboro's etc. as in they're the highest profile player at the club because they've played for England the most, and are rated highest in the eyes of other fans. Actually being the best doesn't necessarily come in to it.

I'd say there's probably a lot of truth in that, tbh.

i remember you saying Barry has been in poor form, round about the time he started playing well for england.

seems like you're taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back. it's still an improvement but must be frustrating considering it could be so much better.

you'll probably pull off a couple of signings on the last day, one of them will be good and the other will be a dark horse like knight or harewood.

mind you, now i check, even your lot have spent quite a bit if you include making Curtis Davies a permanent transfer. it's just that the rest of your transfers are a bit shite.

Friedel and Guzan = goalkeeper problem solved for a fair while, total cost approx 5m

Sidwell = solid signing, 5m

That's it.

Our problem isn't that we've made shit signings (we haven't made any other signings), it is the signings we haven't made. Although Luke Young arriving, allegedly, to fill the RB position is a decent signing, and Shorey for LB whilst Bouma is out.

Friedel

Young - Laursen - Davies - Shorey

That looks a pretty decent first choice defence, and will look even better when Bouma comes back.

The issue is we've no right sided midfielder whatsoever (Routledge doesn't count, can't be relied on), we need to replace Barry (Sidwell is not a Barry replacement) and we could do with a more regular goalscorer. The squad right now is barely big enough to handle a PL campaign, let alone the UEFA Cup on top.

Although when you listen to what Moyes, Keegan (I believe) and MON have all said about the market being difficult this summer, you start to think they've got a point.

It is frustrating losing Barry, of course we'd prefer to keep him, but that shit happens to us all, unfortunately. I'm sure Spurs would have preferred to have kept Carrick and more recently Keane. It is annoying, but shit happens, onwards and upwards. We just need to speed things up considerably.

Hard to believe the season starts a week Saturday.

So you reckon Shorey is heading to Villa park, good signing if true?

The good thing for Villa fans is that you have a young squad, the likes of Agbonlahor, Young etc are all improving and will be a season better. Effectively signings in theirselves.

As long as your not selling your best players, you won't go backward IMO. Barry is a good player but Sidwell is a good replacement (even if he's not like for like), in fact in some respects Sidwell is better.

I'd say that they're both pretty average.. but O'Neil knows what he's doing, I'm sure Villa's defense will be solid again this term..

Better than some of the signings we have done in the past couple of years. Martin O'Neill picks solid premiership players and makes them work as a team. Luke Young was a good player in a shite team at Chalton, ditto Shorey at Reading. Now they will be good players in a good team.

Guest neesy111

I'd say that they're both pretty average.. but O'Neil knows what he's doing, I'm sure Villa's defense will be solid again this term..

Wasn't very solid last term.

5M for luke young, boro laughing all the way to the bank manager  mackems.gif

Guest johnson293

Wasn't very solid last term.

5M for luke young, boro laughing all the way to the bank manager  mackems.gif

If Boro end up selling Luke Young, and need a right back, how funny would it be if they signed Stephen Carr??!!!  mackems.gif

Guest toonlass

Andy Johson's deal finally seems to have gone through according to Sky Sports, hopefully Alan Smith will be an Evertonian by this afternoon,  :celb:

Andy Johson's deal finally seems to have gone through according to Sky Sports, hopefully Alan Smith will be an Evertonian by this afternoon,  :celb:

Fingers well and truly crossed. I can wait until the last day of the window mind, as long as he does go.