Keegan on breaking into the top four, and fifth as a target next year

hakka

So just to get this straight.........

Roy Keane says quite a few of his players have let him down and are finished at Sunderland & will be gone on free transfers they're so shit = Good management

Keegan says our players are not good enough to challenge for 4th place yet = Bad management

When he said about getting into the top 4 I think he was talking about making the club a permanent fixture and forcing one of the others clubs out rather than just getting in there for the odd season like Everton did, Fredbob.

Seriously KK has spotted it & anyone with brain can see it, breaking the elite is harder now than it was first time round.  All I want is year on year improvement in points & position & lets see where that takes us.

Here's what I read in my tea leaves, or maybe it was my toilet bowl, I'm not too sure:

I don't buy all this we're always going to be crap bullshit that some people are coming out with, my take on it is that Keegan's simply being his usual self and a large part of that is calling a spade a spade and being honest about the gulf in class between us and Chelsea. However, it's also part of Keegan's usual self to apply a little bit of subtle pressure to those holding the purse-strings if he feels the need - he's done it before, he'll do it again - and I reckon that there might be an aspect of him calling Ashley's bluff a little with that comment about "if the owner thinks we're going to have the money to compete with the likes of Chelsea, then he's wrong", or however he phrased it. I think he might still be a little upset about missing out on Modric and maybe he's giving Ashley the message that if he wants to compete quickly with the big[ish]-boys, rather than for it to be a gradual process then he's going to have to spend some serious cash securing the likes of Modric by blowing the competition out of the water money-wise seeing as we can't compete in other areas at the moment. I don't think there's any serious issues behind the scenes, this is just the equivalent to what happened with the money for Killer last time. He's saying put your money where your mouth is Mike.

Saved me typing, thanks.

Seriously KK has spotted it & anyone with brain can see it, breaking the elite is harder now than it was first time round.  All I want is year on year improvement in points & position & lets see where that takes us.

Spot on.   :snod:

When he said about getting into the top 4 I think he was talking about making the club a permanent fixture and forcing one of the others clubs out rather than just getting in there for the odd season like Everton did, Fredbob.

That's the difference isnt it? I know that when people say "breaking the top four", I assume that to mean breaking it and staying in it, not managing one freak season.

Spot on.    :snod:

I agree. And I think Keegan talked complete sense in that interview. He's refreshing to have back around football, doesn't just trot out the same old tired cliches.

What's wrong with finishing top5?

Had we had any other manager than Keegan, people would've been delighted with the manager saying this, but now we have to win the league, because we need to top what we did the last time he was here?

Very sensible words from Keegan, if we'd finish fifth a couple of seasons in a row, we'd be able to attract much better players than right now, especially if we were to put in some good runs in the UEFA-cup. If we'd establish ourselves as the best of the rest (which is hard enough with the state that we're in), then we should be looking at challanging the "big four".

"Spend or Stay Second Rate: Keegan Tells Ashley" on back page of the Daily Heil.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that's surely not quite what he was saying, is it?

The way I read it was: Keegan tells big gambler to put up or fuck off. O0

"Spend or Stay Second Rate: Keegan Tells Ashley" on back page of the Daily Heil.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that's surely not quite what he was saying, is it?

The way I read it was: Keegan tells big gambler to put up or fuck off. O0

:lol:

That would be awesome as a headline. There's not enough written swearing outside of internet forums.

Oh my God. :lol:

Only just watched the interview.

If i had watched the interview, and not read the thread... i would have thought absolutely nothing to those comments. He's dead right.

Oh my God. :lol:

Only just watched the interview.

If i had watched the interview, and not read the thread... i would have thought absolutely nothing to those comments. He's dead right.

:clap:

In the interview I saw on Sky, he talked about not being able to get into the top four. It was all doom and gloom. He didn't mention aiming for 5th place. That only seems to have come afterwards, when maybe he had a bit of time to calm down, and to realise how negative he'd been. Trouble is, the damage had already been done. He needs to be more careful next time.

Here's what I read in my tea leaves, or maybe it was my toilet bowl, I'm not too sure:

I don't buy all this we're always going to be crap bullshit that some people are coming out with, my take on it is that Keegan's simply being his usual self and a large part of that is calling a spade a spade and being honest about the gulf in class between us and Chelsea. However, it's also part of Keegan's usual self to apply a little bit of subtle pressure to those holding the purse-strings if he feels the need - he's done it before, he'll do it again - and I reckon that there might be an aspect of him calling Ashley's bluff a little with that comment about "if the owner thinks we're going to have the money to compete with the likes of Chelsea, then he's wrong", or however he phrased it. I think he might still be a little upset about missing out on Modric and maybe he's giving Ashley the message that if he wants to compete quickly with the big[ish]-boys, rather than for it to be a gradual process then he's going to have to spend some serious cash securing the likes of Modric by blowing the competition out of the water money-wise seeing as we can't compete in other areas at the moment. I don't think there's any serious issues behind the scenes, this is just the equivalent to what happened with the money for Killer last time. He's saying put your money where your mouth is Mike.

I think he suspects and perhaps has experienced that Mort and Ashers are a little in fantasy land and this is his way of bringing some reality to the situation...I agree with the tone of what you're saying if that is what you're saying.

In the interview I saw on Sky, he talked about not being able to get into the top four. It was all doom and gloom. He didn't mention aiming for 5th place. That only seems to have come afterwards, when maybe he had a bit of time to calm down, and to realise how negative he'd been. Trouble is, the damage had already been done. He needs to be more careful next time.

I agree these comments are a little too real and perhaps revealing the chink in KK's armour ie too emotional.

I think he suspects and perhaps has experienced that Mort and Ashers are a little in fantasy land and this is his way of bringing some reality to the situation...I agree with the tone of what you're saying if that is what you're saying.

Hello, Parky.

*wink*

Hello, Parky.

*wink*

Wink indeed.

What a load of shite tbh. He was disappointed after our first defeat in eight games and knows that he, the team, the fans, the owner, the tealady got dealt with the harsh reality that we're miles away from the big big boys. What 'damage' ffs? The only damage i can see is some daft kneekjerkers overreacting pettily to some comments about money. "He needed to calm down." Honest to God.

Hello, Parky.

*wink*

Wink indeed.

Remember this?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=39833.msg818376#msg818376

Can you send the winnings here?

http://www.acorns.org.uk/?pageid=Donate

Good man.

What a load of shite tbh. He was disappointed after our first defeat in eight games and knows that he, the team, the fans, the owner, the tealady got dealt with the harsh reality that we're miles away from the big big boys. What 'damage' ffs? The only damage i can see is some daft kneekjerkers overreacting pettily to some comments about money. "He needed to calm down." Honest to God.

It was KK's Rubicon moment. He's now crossed and he can't cross back.