The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BigAl2

Here's the blurb from the Zenit site:

Andrey Arshavin

Andrey Arshavin was born on 29 May 1981 in Leningrad.

Career

He started playing football at the age of 7. Andrey is a Smena football school graduate (coaches V. Vinogradov and S. Gordeev).

In 1999-2000 Andrey played for FC Zenit reserve team. He made his debut for the first squad in the Intertoto Cup away game against Bradford, which FC Zenit won 3:0. In his first game in the starting eleven Andrey justified the hopes of the head coach of that time Yuiy Morozov.

Andrey started as a right midfielder, his duet with Aleksandr Kerzhakov became well known in Russian Championship, especially in seasons 2001, 2003 as FC Zenit won medals.

He says that his hobby is creating goals for the team and it doesn’t matter whether he scores himself or assists someone.

It was Petrjela who decided that Arshavin should play at the edge of the attack in the middle of 2003, and Andrey scored two goals in his debut match as a forward against FC Uralan. This new role seemed to inspire Andrey and up to now Arshavin managed to score 58 goals (he celebrated his first goal in the match against Fakel (Voronezh) and his 50th goal in the home match against Luch-Energia).

Moreover, his goals in the very end of the UEFA Cup away game against FC AEK and FC Olympique de Marseille gave FC Zenit one of the most exciting events in the Club’s history – UEFA Cup quarter-finals.

Capped for the Russian youth team, where his partner was Aleksandr Anukov, who is also in the first squad now, Andrey made his debut in the national squad in May 2002 against Belarus.

Having scored 9 goals for the international team, Andrey set up a new club record of goals for the national team. Besides, he became FC Zenit best striker in Russian championships 2005, 2006.

Every year Andrey is on top of the 33-best Russian footballers list: he became number 1 in 2005 and 2006, and number 2 in 2001, 2002, 2004.

2005 Andrey became the first football player in Russia to be elected FIFA-Kinderdorf Ambassador.

Track Record

2001 – Russian Championship bronze prizewinner

2003 – vice-champion of Russia

2003 – Premier-League Cup holder

2006 – Best player of Russia award and Russian National Squad leader award

2007 - Champion of Russia

2008 - Possessor of the Super Cup of Russia

2008 - Possessor UEFA Cup 2007/2008

He is 27? How come he has gone unnoticed for so long? Are people getting over excited because he is having a good Euro 2008?

Nah, He was hyped before the Euros as well, and yesterday was his first game in the Euros, he was suspended for the first two.

He is 27? How come he has gone unnoticed for so long? Are people getting over excited because he is having a good Euro 2008?

Nah, He was hyped before the Euros as well, and yesterday was his first game in the Euros, he was suspended for the first two.

was immense in the eufa cup final, the latter stages of the eufa cup was when people started going on about him

Nee chance of us signing him or Arda Turan - nee chance!

Such a positive vibe there :lol:  I kna what you mean though, so many other clubs will be after those two I doubt they will even consider us.

Another thing, I find it hard to believe that Wenger would have waited this long to make a move. He's not the sort to kneejerk over a couple of performances, and would have known how good the player is and stuck a bid in before yesterday, much like we are supposed to.

If Arshavin is on £50k/week with Zenit, there is no way he will go to Arsenal as their wage structure wont go that far. He wont be coming anywhere near here either by the way, so forget it.

What makes you say that? Arsenal's wage bill is as high as Man U's. In 06-07 their wage bill was nearly £90m.

Do they have 36 players all on £49k/week?

sadly but true.... he's on golden age of his football career... why would he'd come to us even we offered load of cash

CL requirement as minimum i guess

There's more to it than just finding a good club that will let you start every game. For instance, if the player feels actually wanted, and not just as another good player in a good squad, but as THE player the manager wants. I imagine Kevin Keegan's enthusiasm may well swing a player in our favour. If the player wants European football, I'm sure Keegan will remind him that England technically is a European country and that he'll play in Europe every week. Why not? He got Sylvain Distin to choose a newly promoted Man City when Newcastle were in the Champions League.

Another thing, I find it hard to believe that Wenger would have waited this long to make a move. He's not the sort to kneejerk over a couple of performances, and would have known how good the player is and stuck a bid in before yesterday, much like we are supposed to.

Theo?

Theo?

I'm sure he spent plenty of time looking at Theo Walcott.

Besides, it is not like Wenger came running in for a bid for Walcott during a period where interest in a player has suddenly been heightened.

Theo?

I'm sure he spent plenty of time looking at Theo Walcott.

I thought those allegations were unfounded...  :kasper:

Guest BigAl2

Regardless of age it doesn't matter what or who you are watching even if you have a limited knowledge of the sport, performance, art, you know when you are watching quality and Arshavin is quality.

sadly but true.... he's on golden age of his football career... why would he'd come to us even we offered load of cash

There's more to it than just finding a good club that will let you start every game. For instance, if the player feels actually wanted, and not just as another good player in a good squad, but as THE player the manager wants. I imagine Kevin Keegan's enthusiasm may well swing a player in our favour. If the player wants European football, I'm sure Keegan will remind him that England technically is a European country and that he'll play in Europe every week. Why not? He got Sylvain Distin to choose a newly promoted Man City when Newcastle were in the Champions League.

The bold bit is the most clutching at straws statement ever on this forum!

But I admire your optimism. :smitten:

I'd be quite surprised if Arshavin ended up at Arsenal, even with Hleb going, Rosicky will be fit for the new season, they've just gone and signed Ramsey and Nasri and from all accounts they have more than a few talented midfielders coming through the youth and reserve teams.

However as people have said, a quality player is a quality player, and Wenger does have a history of signing those. Would love it if he ended up here, but like everyone else have to be realistic and say it's rather unlikely.

Guess russia wasn't european :lol:

Guest Stephen927

Impressed me against Sweden, always looking to do something positive with the ball even if it's not spectacular all the time.