The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

could it be? are we signing Andrie Arshavin???

No, no it could'nt.

Imagine if we did Spuds would be gutted  ;D

should be ashleys masterplan, totally f*** his spurs mates over now right at the end of the window when it's become totally apparent that without more signings they're gonna struggle

ashley steps in and nicks anyone quality from them!

Whereas, in fact, he is doing exactly the opposite. The 'promised land' of us being owned by a billionaire appears to have turned sour.

He owns us - but does he have our interests at heart - or does he have the interests "of some other club (s)" at heart?

The whole "we are second class citizens thing" (Keegan) and "we are not spending big money thing" (Ashley) . . . is VERY odd.

Don't suppose you've got a link to that have you? Missed it.

It is implicit in pretty well everything he has said and done for the last few months. He is wanting to cut down the wage bill, he is not going to spend big on the wrong sort of players (obviously good but seems to be code for "he is NOT going to spend big on ANY players") - but mainly it is his A C T I O N S (allied to Keegans words).

He is committed to firming-up our (realistic, as some on here delightedly say) 'Second Class' (nothingness, as Sir John Hall used to say) status.

Great fun.

A record fee for a defender (£10m), a record bid for a midfielder (£18m). Yup he's not willing to spend any money

No, no it could'nt.

should be ashleys masterplan, totally f*** his spurs mates over now right at the end of the window when it's become totally apparent that without more signings they're gonna struggle

Whereas, in fact, he is doing exactly the opposite. The 'promised land' of us being owned by a billionaire appears to have turned sour.

He owns us - but does he have our interests at heart - or does he have the interests "of some other club (s)" at heart?

The whole "we are second class citizens thing" (Keegan) and "we are not spending big money thing" (Ashley) . . . is VERY odd.

the implication being he's blown 200m to run us into the ground?  not very likely really is it

He has spent the money you mention on buying an asset and improving that asset by paying off debts.

He may not make huge profits from it - but he is not going to lose much - the £200M is an asset he has bought.

What we need is for him to grow and develop the club . . .

It is implicit in pretty well everything he has said and done for the last few months. He is wanting to cut down the wage bill, he is not going to spend big on the wrong sort of players (obviously good but seems to be code for "he is NOT going to spend big on ANY players") - but mainly it is his A C T I O N S (allied to Keegans words).

He is committed to firming-up our (realistic, as some on here delightedly say) 'Second Class' (nothingness, as Sir John Hall used to say) status.

Great fun.

Do you have a subscription to the Daily Mail by any chance?

Great fun.

Sounds like it, doesn't it. Sounds really pathetic and awful.

BUT,  after all this time (all summer since the back end of last season) it gets to the point where even a "blindly obsessed 42-year-supporter and optimist" (my first match in 1966) has to wake up and smell the REAL roses.

There is something not right going on here.

W T F is going on at MY club??????????????

No, no it could'nt.

Great fun.

A record fee for a defender (£10m), a record bid for a midfielder (£18m). Yup he's not willing to spend any money

Do you really think that even if he had got this (alleged) £18M player (Modric I assume) - that would hve been enough?  A sign of real ambition?

(Also - show me the paperwork . . .)

(Also - why quote a persons failure?)  (He FAILED to get him, if he ever tried, why quote that?)

Great fun.

Sounds like it, doesn't it. Sounds really pathetic and awful.

BUT,  after all this time (all summer since the back end of last season) it gets to the point where even a "blindly obsessed 42-year-supporter and optimist" (my first match in 1966) has to wake up and smell the REAL roses.

There is something not right going on here.

W T F is going on at MY club??????????????

Shut up man you big fanny.

No, no it could'nt.

Great fun.

Do you really think that even if he had got this (alleged) £18M player (Modric I assume) - that would hve been enough?  A sign of real ambition?

(Also - why quote a persons failure?)  (He FAILED to get him, if he ever tried, why quote that?)

You stated your belief that Ashley is not going to spend money on any players. I showed 2 examples where he was willing/actually did spend record amounts of cash.

You want to see paperwork for a deal which did not go through? Is the word of our then Chairman, our manager and his agent not sufficient to suggest that the bid wa made and was serious?

So how much would we need to spend to show ambition? £100m? £200m? £1,000m?

No, no it could'nt.

Great fun.

You stated your belief that Ashley is not going to spend money on any players. I showed 2 examples where he was willing/actually did spend record amounts of cash.

You want to see paperwork for a deal which did not go through? Is the word of our then Chairman, our manager and his agent not sufficient to suggest that the bid wa made and was serious?

So how much would we need to spend to show ambition? £100m? £200m? £1,000m?

What is needed (and it is almost too late) is the RIGHT amount of money to be spent to develop the club (in a serious and discernable way) and take it on to the next stage - while we are all still alive!!

You CANNOT put a figure on it (in advance) indeed it would be silly in the extreme to do so.

But, there is something not right about what is happening (not happening) now, and with the thrust of the 'words' coming from the major sources (Keegan/Ashley) at our club.

There is a contradiction between what is going on and what realistically SHOULD be going on.

That does not mean there should be any silly extremes in the opposite direction!!

Why would anyone take a brand new baby to a football match?

Why would anyone take a brand new baby to a football match?

Why not?

Anyway, I didn't say "42 year old" did I?  (I have been going to the match for 42 bleedin' years). Sadly, I am "42+" years old . . . (I know I don't look it or sound it . . .)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4063725,00.html

Arshavin admits Spurs defeat

Zenit St Petersburg forward Andrei Arshavin has all-but conceded he will not be joining Tottenham.

The player has made no secret of his desire to move to the Premier League but is now ready to accept he is unlikely to join Spurs, who are set to announce the signing of Arshavin's international team-mate Roman Pavlyuchenko within the next 48 hours.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I would love to say get him in but a £20m + pricetag is scary for an unproven 27 year old russian whos never played in a top league

I'd love to see him here, but at £20m it would smack of being a panic buy. Seems like a really good player though, and if we could negotiate a decent deal and if we got £10m from Milner then it might be something we could look at.

Whether he'd lower himself to us or not is another matter, but he's already lowered his sights from Barca to Spurs, so it's not much further to lower them to us.

Whether he'd lower himself to us or not is another matter, but he's already lowered his sights from Barca to Spurs, so it's not much further to lower them to us.

That's your opinion of us is it, below Spurs?

I'd love to see him here, but at £20m it would smack of being a panic buy. Seems like a really good player though, and if we could negotiate a decent deal and if we got £10m from Milner then it might be something we could look at.

He's gonna end up at QPR.

That's your opinion of us is it, below Spurs?

They can offer European Football, we can't. It's more world opinion rather than mine.

People need to undertand the reality of the situation. A lot of players aren't going to care about who's the "bigger" club between us and spurs, they're simply going to look at then and see a club that's qualified for europe and us  and see one that hasn't. Simple as. To deny that and get all precious about it is to delude yourself. Whether you like it or not and regardless of it being true the fact is that he and others like him would see us as a step down from spurs at the moment.

People need to undertand the reality of the situation. A lot of players aren't going to care about who's the "bigger" club between us and spurs, they're simply going to look at then and see a club that's qualified for europe and us  and see one that hasn't. Simple as. To deny that and get all precious about it is to delude yourself. Whether you like it or not and regardless of it being true the fact is that he and others like him would see us as a step down from spurs at the moment.

I don't think one season of guaranteed UEFA Cup football is enough reason on its own for a player to sign a five year contract.

I see what you're saying Indi, but I don't believe every footballer looks on such a narrow perspective. Things can change very fast.

If Keegan told me that 'With your help we'll be back in Europe next season, and from there the sky is the limit.' I wouldn't take much more persuasion to sign.

James: who said that it would be? What i said was that at the moment players will look at the two teams and see them as being ahead of us and therefore us as a step down. That's not to say that we have no chance of making a player choose us over spurs, but we'll have to overcome that disadvantage using other means.