The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tel you who isn't getting enough credit  is Marcos Senna. Has been brilliant throughout this tournament and he was all over Arshavin like a rash yesterday.

Arshavin is still a good player and is allowed the odd off game, but what I didn;t really like about his performance was that he didn't seem to really make more of an effort to get into the game, ether that meant dropping deeper to pick up the ball or switching out wide a bit more to get more space. You wonder if he is one of those guys who just looks great when everything is setup perfectly for him, but otherwise doesn't really standout if an effort is made to shut him down.

Senna is class like, but Arshavin has never played against a holding midfielder in this tournament or one of any real class. All CL teams have a holding midfielder, and some are even better than Senna so i think put him in at Barca where he will be meeting these types of opponents week in week out then i think he'll be shown up big style.

Yes but in the champions league playing for Barcelona teams are not just going to stop Arshavin there is Messi Iniesta Xavi and whoever else they bring in

He was singled out yesterday because of how good he is put him in a team with other world class players and he will be brilliant

OK, lets talk hypothetical Barcelona teams, where can Arshavin play?

Assuming a flat back four is played, which six out of the following do you pick? (and yes I do know that some might be off)

Xavi

Iniesta

Deco (probably be gone)

Toure

Keita

Gudjohnsen (probably be gone)

Eto'o (probably be gone)

Ronaldinho (probably be gone)

Henry

Ezquerro (probably be gone)

Messi

Bojan

Arshavin

makes it a bit easier over the course of a season no?  obviously any combination could leave, we'll see which ones but there's no way they'd keep that lot

Toure

Xavi          Arshavin

Messi        Keita

Henry

Keita is a holding midfielder mate.

Suppose swapping him and Arshavin around could work.

Toure

Xavi          Arshavin

Messi         Keita

Henry

They're not going to drop Iniesta after the season he just had.

is keita an winger/striker?  thought he was DM/B2B midfielder? 

Tell you who isn't getting enough credit  is Marcos Senna. Has been brilliant throughout this tournament and he was all over Arshavin like a rash yesterday.

Arshavin is still a good player and is allowed the odd off game, but what I didn't really like about his performance was that he didn't seem to make more of an effort to get into the game, wether that meant dropping deeper to pick up the ball or switching out wide a bit more to get more space. You wonder if he is one of those guys who just looks great when everything is setup perfectly for him, but otherwise doesn't really standout if an effort is made to shut him down.

Senna has been one of the players of the tournament and has been superb for a few years now at Villareal, he's very much like Mascherano, does the simple things well lets the better 'footballers' go forward while he does the hard graft.

Toure

Xavi          Arshavin

Messi         Keita

Henry

Keita is a holding midfielder mate.

Suppose swapping him and Arshavin around could work.

don't think toure set the world on fire last season did he?  keita, iniesta, xavi as the three?  first choice i mean

Trouble with Barca is that much poorer teams were able to walk through that kind of midfield last season.

Two holding midfielders might work, but anything else with the line ups that are being thought up will not make Barca any better than last season.

Deco didn't play in the hole really though, he much more a box to box player, something Arshavin is not. If Barca do buy him it's probable they'll stick him on the left cutting in as they have with Messi on the right.

Tbh he's not as mint as people have put him up to be, yeah he was class against Sweden but they're s*** and Holland suited the Russians, the Spanish control play whereas the Dutch are all about getting to the goal as fast as possible, Arshavin had loads of holes to drop into against the Dutch because they were so open but again its the opposite with the Spanish. I don't think it was a Spanish tactical masterclass, just the fact he's not good enough against the best teams, simple. This was his first big test, and he failed but the worrying thing is he's 27 he should be dealing with it better, never be a great player imo.

So, would you be saying you wouldn't welcome him as a signing then?

For us, he'd be class and i'd welcome him as he's miles better than anything here, but for the likes of Barca where he'll be playing in the Champions League i think its too much. I'm not saying he's not a good player because he is, but he'll never be great like he's been hyped up to be.

Ah, in which case, totally agree with you, more concerned people were implying they wouldn't have him here, which would be madness

Andrei Arshavin's agent insists he has not yet received any offers for the Russia playmaker - but has invited Barcelona to make an approach.

The 27-year-old, a target for Newcastle, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City, has been one of the stars of Euro 2008 with Russia and has been heavily linked with a move to one of Europe's top leagues.

Zenit St Petersburg confirmed on Thursday that Barcelona have made an enquiry, and Arshavin's representative, Dennis Lachter, has urged the Catalans to turn their interest into a firm offer.

"I'd like to send my regards to (Barca president Joan) Laporta, (technical secretary) Txiki (Begiristain) and (coach) Pep (Guardiola) and they already know why," he told Spanish radio station Radio Marca.

"Laporta and Barca have not approached me. They now know who Arshavin's agent is and I'm ready to listen to offers, but at the moment there are none."

Arshavin's adventure at the European Championships came to an end on Thursday following a 3-0 semi-final loss to Spain.

Lachter now expects the offers to come flooding in, but admits his client's starring role in Russia's unlikely run means it is difficult to put a price on him.

"After the game I know I'm going to receive a lot of offers for him," he said.

"What's for sure is that we can't talk about his price, but we hope that it'll be to the liking of the club and the player."

An inflated price tage could be a stumbling block for Barca, who have spent heavily this summer to bring in Gerard Pique, Martin Caceres, Seydou Keita and Daniel Alves.

However, Lachter believes that sporting rather than economic factors will decide where Arshavin plays.

"When he was a kid he really liked Barca, it's true," he added.

"He's a big fan of the team and if he signed for Barcelona it really would be a dream come true for him.

"Either way, whatever is certain is that he won't be wearing the Zenit shirt next season."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1780_3746802,00.html

Guest fraser

:lol:

Some of these posts on here are great. Suddenly he goes from being a amazing player to a pile of crap after one game.

Personnally I'm still on the amazing player side. Fingers crossed though chairmen around Europe are as fickle as some people on here and they'll not pursue their interest. *Wishful thinking*

Not a pile of crap but it put his abilities into perspective. Get him the room and he'll create havoc but he did seem at a loss how to find room for himself.

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=28

Newcastle are having to change their transfer targets.

They had a look and enquired about Arshavin and Pavlyuchenko, but those options are now double the price that Newcastle were quoted before the tournament. There are more teams interested in these players, but many will be dissuaded by their high fees and salaries, so Newcastle will have to be patient and hope that they don’t sign for any one of the high profile clubs that have approached them in the last couple of weeks.

Newcastle are looking for players in the 20-24 years age bracket as they have an ageing squad. They have been offered Swiss players (Barnetta, Frei, Behrami) and Russians (Zyrianov, Zhirkov) but some of them are either too old, or have excessive salary demands.

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=28

Newcastle are having to change their transfer targets.

They had a look and enquired about Arshavin and Pavlyuchenko, but those options are now double the price that Newcastle were quoted before the tournament. There are more teams interested in these players, but many will be dissuaded by their high fees and salaries, so Newcastle will have to be patient and hope that they don’t sign for any one of the high profile clubs that have approached them in the last couple of weeks.

Newcastle are looking for players in the 20-24 years age bracket as they have an ageing squad. They have been offered Swiss players (Barnetta, Frei, Behrami) and Russians (Zyrianov, Zhirkov) but some of them are either too old, or have excessive salary demands.

That's nice of them, we are truly fucked now like with regards to signing any decent players

well, if we really can't sign anyone we might as well go sign up those austrian strikers.

If we're not going to score any goals, those blokes know how to do it in style. I've never seen such glorious misses before.

Why have Alan Smith not even shooting, or Martins blazing it over from 40 yards, when you can have two top drawer goal-butchering professionals shanking it wide 10 yards out from an open goal?

well, if we really can't sign anyone we might as well go sign up those austrian strikers.

If we're not going to score any goals, those blokes know how to do it in style. I've never seen such glorious misses before.

Why have Alan Smith not even shooting, or Martins blazing it over from 40 yards, when you can have two top drawer goal-butchering professionals shanking it wide 10 yards out from an open goal?

You almost made Smith sound a decent player in comparison, but sadly the thought died almost as soon as it entered the brain.