Arda Turan?

Guest hindu times

Thought the looked good before the rain started, where he was in the game. Very neat and tidy, quick, and very two-footed, too. Obviously, that's just off the back of one game; but certainly looks an encouraging player. Doesn't look like an out-and-out winger either which could suggest his football could fit into our system.

We've taken a gamble and it might well not pay off now. Nuts.

Eh? :lol:

What gamble? They just didnt want to sell him before the euros as they knew that what ever happened they'd get more after it.

Or are you whoooosing  :blush:

Where on earth does this idea come from that a player can be s***, break both his legs and still be worth more then he was earlier simply because he's played in the Euro's?..

Aye, cos that happens all the time. :lol:

Even if a player is completely s*** in an international tournament, his club can and will say 'he now has more international caps - give us more money'.

I was exagerating you know Dave.  I just don't know where people get the idea that every players valuation will sky rocket after a tournement no matter what.  It just doesn't work like that at all.

Agree with Kimbo, we put in a £16 million bid for Modric, so why not offer something similar for Turan before the competition, with Galatasarays money problems they wouldn't be able to risk turning down that kind of offer.

We need 5 or 6 players, so why waste half the likely transfer budget on him?

Why "waste" it on Modric? The board obviously think we have enough of a budget to spend big on a player. A player of that quality can make a massive difference to a team. Imagine Spurs without Berbatov, Everton without Arteta, Villa without Young.

Exactly, and he is a young player who's more likely to give us value for money which is apparently what we are after.

I'm going to have to see more than he showed today to be convinced he's worth that kind of money.  I don't think we are spending 30+ mil this summer either.  I don't think many clubs will, especially the ones with our wage bill.

Dunno Teasy, if someone has a high profile during a tournament the selling club can turn around and demand more money, pointing to their achievements. also, it could alert clubs who have been monitoring the player but unsure if they can move up a level, if they come out and perform on the big stage.

What gamble? They just didnt want to sell him before the euros as they knew that what ever happened they'd get more after it.

Where on earth does this idea come from that a player can be s***, break both his legs and still be worth more then he was earlier simply because he's played in the Euro's?..

Even if a player is completely s*** in an international tournament, his club can and will say 'he now has more international caps - give us more money'.

I was exagerating you know Dave.  I just don't know where people get the idea that every players valuation will sky rocket after a tournement no matter what.  It just doesn't work like that at all.

Maybe not 'sky rocket no matter what', but the more caps he gets and the more a first-team fixture he is, the more the club will demand. Simple IMO. ???

He seemed to roam around a bit in the first half, which suited him. I had the impression in the second half, he'd been told to stay wide left more, and he wasn't that involved. He didn't look like a wide man in a 4-4-2, and needed to be more central. But like Mark Bright, I felt it almost seemed that his team mates didn't want to pass to him.

He didn't lack confidence and he clearly has some ability, but I'm not totally convinced on that performance that he's a major talent. Presumably we've done our homework on him though.

Dunno Teasy, if someone has a high profile during a tournament the selling club can turn around and demand more money, pointing to their achievements. also, it could alert clubs who have been monitoring the player but unsure if they can move up a level, if they come out and perform on the big stage.

Not talking about being high profile, I'm saying that its not guarenteed for a players price to increase during a tournement.  Had Turan had a bit of a nightmare today with Turkey crashing out of the tournment then I really couldn't have seen his price rising.

Maybe not 'sky rocket no matter what', but the more caps he gets and the more a first-team fixture he is, the more the club will demand. Simple IMO. ???

Yeah.

If we werent prepared to pay the money they wanted before the Euros then why would we pay it after it? I dont think anyone in the Newcastle organisation would have been stupid enough to think that his price would someone go down during the tournament or any other team wouldn't get interested.

Likely scenario imo:

We offered them something. They said no and gave us some waaaay over the top sum because they wanted to wait and see what happens in Euros.

I havent followed too closely but has there even been any reliable info about the happenings of this transfer. Has a bid been confirmed by someone?

He's played 20 something games before the Euro's, so a few games won't make much difference without a good performance or two to catch the eye.  Obviously the more games for your country can't hurt.  What I was saying is that if we offered over Galatasarays valuation of the player I couldn't see them telling us to f*** off because they know he'll be worth even more after the Euro's.

He's played 20 something games before the Euro's, so one of two games won't make much difference without a good performance or two the catch the eye.  Obviously the more games for your can't hurt.  What I was saying is that if we offered over Galatasarays valuation of the player I couldn't see them telling us to fuck off because they know he'll be worth even more after the Euro's.

They'd tell us to fuck off and wait now, I'm pretty sure of that.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Spurs are in for him i hear

Daniel Levy was spotted untying Turans boots in the tunnel whilst he was giving an interview to turkish media. As Arda had finished his victory speech, Levy was asked to comment on the speculation that he wanted Arda at Spurs. Unfortunately for the interviewer Levy was brought up well, not to talk with is mouth full.

He's played 20 something games before the Euro's, so one of two games won't make much difference without a good performance or two the catch the eye.  Obviously the more games for your can't hurt.  What I was saying is that if we offered over Galatasarays valuation of the player I couldn't see them telling us to fuck off because they know he'll be worth even more after the Euro's.

They'd tell us to fuck off and wait now, I'm pretty sure of that.

Im pretty sure they did before. By declaring an absurd valuation for example. They really dont have anything to loose here. Only gain

Not talking about being high profile, I'm saying that its not guarenteed for a players price to increase during a tournement.  Had Turan had a bit of a nightmare today with Turkey crashing out of the tournment then I really couldn't have seen his price rising.

definitely not, but it is worth his club waiting to see if it does, theyve nowt to lose.

definitely not, but it is worth his club waiting to see if it does, theyve nowt to lose.

I agree they didn't have anything to lose given the current situation.  But what this discussion stemmed from was the suggestion that Newcastle had taken a risk by not offering more money in the first place.  Offer over the players valuation and Galatasaray do then have something to lose if they reject it.

Was €13m an absurb valuation? Overpriced, possibly. Absurb though?

Yeah like I said, I havent followed that closely. Who confirmed their valuation?

Their president said that was his price.