Arda Turan?

Guest hindu times

He looked alright did nothing much, looked tidy...Then scores of a deflected hit and hope. So should be a superstar on here by the morning.

Had a decent game, looked lively and scored the winner at the death. Like it being deflected makes any difference.

He had an ok game, not bad, but also no wanking material either (as it seems to some). Why do deflected goals not make a difference? Nobody wants to take the goal away from him, but 'keeper would probably have saved it otherwise, so it was less a matter of skills than of luck.

9m is overpriced imho anyway and I can't see any increase of value just based on this performance (which would be ridiculous anyway, even if he had played really well).

How the hell do you know? :lol:  He struck the ball well and for all we know it could have flown past the keeper without any deflection.

Because the 'keeper was already diving down in the right direction and the ball didn't have any real pace? It was hardly a wonder strike and I'd be pretty unhappy if the ball would have went in undeflected tbh.

The shot had plenty of pace, and while the keeper was diving it was anything but clear that he'd have gotten to the ball.  You'd have to spend a while watching the incident from numerous angles to have any idea, you're just making assumptions.

Modric a far better player?  What are you basing that on Parky?  He played well for 25 minutes and scored a pen, which lets face it is just about the least impressive goal you can score.

You'll find out next season.

:lol: parky you always pretend to have some sort of arcane knowlage.

i think it is perfectly plausable that arda turan would be better in the PL than modric, not saying he will, modric is certainly rated more, but neither have played in good leagues, turkey's league is better than croatia's though.

In all honesty Arda isn't the droid you're looking for. Certainly very promising player though.  :razz:

Guest optimistic nit

i would give your post more thought had whoever it was not bumped the alan smith thread tbh.

He looked alright did nothing much, looked tidy...Then scores of a deflected hit and hope. So should be a superstar on here by the morning.

Had a decent game, looked lively and scored the winner at the death. Like it being deflected makes any difference.

He had an ok game, not bad, but also no wanking material either (as it seems to some). Why do deflected goals not make a difference? Nobody wants to take the goal away from him, but 'keeper would probably have saved it otherwise, so it was less a matter of skills than of luck.

9m is overpriced imho anyway and I can't see any increase of value just based on this performance (which would be ridiculous anyway, even if he had played really well).

How the hell do you know? :lol:  He struck the ball well and for all we know it could have flown past the keeper without any deflection.

Because the 'keeper was already diving down in the right direction and the ball didn't have any real pace? It was hardly a wonder strike and I'd be pretty unhappy if the ball would have went in undeflected tbh.

The shot had plenty of pace, and while the keeper was diving it was anything but clear that he'd have gotten to the ball.  Unless you see a top down view of the incident you've got no idea to be honest, you're just making assumptions.

Of course it is an assumption. It's what I (and the people I was watching the game with) thought after watching the slow motion though. The 'keeper would have (hypothetically) had a better chance to save it without the deflection, which was the original point, i.e. being a deflection making a difference...

Well at least it losks like our new setup is at least identifying players with some real promise.

Hadn't heard of Turan or Derdiyok before they were both linked, but they both looked like very promising and talented youngsters. Derdiyok for a 19 yr old looked like a serious talent and Arda is what 21?

Good stuff.

Deridyok I like loads. Really enjoyed his performance today.

Yup, might be a tad young and inexperienced to bring in in place of Viduka though.

Got some very nice attributes though. 6 ft 3, pacy and seemed to be very patient and composed and made some really good runs.

Intriguing.

Guest LucaAltieri

The shot had plenty of pace, and while the keeper was diving it was anything but clear that he'd have gotten to the ball.  Unless you see a top down view of the incident you've got no idea to be honest, you're just making assumptions.

Of course it is an assumption. It's what I (and the people I was watching the game with) thought after watching the slow motion though. The 'keeper would have (hypothetically) had a better chance to save it without the deflection, which was the original point, i.e. being a deflection making a difference...

You're right, it goes without saying. The keeper stands a better chance of saving it when he's diving the right way than when he's diving the wrong way.

to be fair even it's deflected... he did make clever run into swiss defenders... right? that's which makes the different though.... everybody talking about his deflected goal but less counting on how he make it....

His real chance to impress will come in the next game when the stakes are massive and conditions will almost certainly be a lot better.

The stakes were just as high in this game, it was a game both teams had to win.

He looked pretty good to me. Vetere and co have obviously done their homework. I just wonder whether Ashley's negotiator's have done theirs?

There's a bit of a difference between "the keeper would have had a better chance of saving it without the defection" and "the keeper probably would have saved it without the deflection which means the goal was more about luck then skill".  I never would have argued with the former.

Guest Heneage

To answer james.

He was good, but to be honest we saw very little because the pitch was nigh Water polo, scored a decent goal the true test comes against the Czechs.

I don't think one can read too much into the goal. He was given the ball in plenty of space, he was allowed to turn on to his stronger foot too easily and the shot looked to be heading for the keeper until it took a deflection.

Based on last night, he looks to me a bit of a gamble. It depends on our budget, and whether we can afford to take it.

Guest teepee

what i really liked about arda yesterday, in regards to the potential of playing for us, was that he looked very good both on the flank, but also when operating more centrally. he also seemed enthusiastic as well as hard working. his technical ability is hard to say much about given the state of the pitch

Impressed by both Arda and Derdiyok last night, an improvement on what we have and both can only get better you would think so lets hope the rumours are true. Particularly impressed with Derdiyok's workrate, would be a good replacement/competitor for Viduka's shirt and not overly expensive either i would imagine.

I don't think one can read too much into the goal. He was given the ball in plenty of space, he was allowed to turn on to his stronger foot too easily and the shot looked to be heading for the keeper until it took a deflection.

Based on last night, he looks to me a bit of a gamble. It depends on our budget, and whether we can afford to take it.

He got the ball in basically the last chance of the game with his countries hopes of going any further in the competition riding on what he did with it.  Yet he was calm enough and confident enough (at 21) to take it on and get into a shooting position, and strike the ball very well (looked to be heading to the side of the goal to me as well).  Was it the best goal of all time?, no.  Would it have gone in without the deflection?, quite possibly.  Should it be downplayed either way? no.

The way I see it he played well despite being hindered by the conditions and scored an extremely important goal for his country, simple as that.  He definitely impressed me.