FA Cup Final 2008 won by Portsmouth

tmonkey

As always, 15.00 kick off, BBC1 (today).

Although its novel not to see the big boys in the final yet again on the one hand, on the other its a bit of a shame because there are no top players on show and due to these being two relatively small clubs competing for the cup, imo there isnt that much interest amongst normal folk about this game (if this wasnt a Cup Final, who would want to watch this game? etc etc).

Hope Cardiff win, dont want yet another mid table Premiership side able to intice new players with the lure of European football.

Recent FA Cup performance

Portsmouth - Defeated three Championship clubs in Ipswich, Plymouth and Preston, at the outset of this march to the arch. Then knocked out Manchester United, with a Sulley Ali Muntari penalty, 12 minutes from time. They played second fiddle to West Bromwich Albion for long periods of the semi-final on 5 April, but went through courtesy of a 54th minute goal from former West Brom striker Nwankwo Kanu.

Cardiff - Knocked out non-league Chasetown, League Two Hereford, Championship rivals Wolves and Premier League Middlesbrough, in this cup run before the semi-final triumph over fellow Championship side Barnsley.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7393770.stm

Cardiff's run to the final is wholly unimpressive (Boro are s***). Why dont we ever get an easy run like this? We always seem to get the Premiership contenders or Champions at some stage.

On paper, this will be an easy victory for Pompey.

Portsmouth - Defeated three Championship clubs in Ipswich, Plymouth and Preston, at the outset of this march to the arch. Then knocked out Manchester United, with a Sulley Ali Muntari penalty, 12 minutes from time. They played second fiddle to West Bromwich Albion for long periods of the semi-final on 5 April, but went through courtesy of a 54th minute goal from former West Brom striker Nwankwo Kanu.

Cardiff - Knocked out non-league Chasetown, League Two Hereford, Championship rivals Wolves and Premier League Middlesbrough, in this cup run before the semi-final triumph over fellow Championship side Barnsley.

Cardiff's run to the final is wholly unimpressive (Boro are s***). Why dont we ever get an easy run like this? We always seem to get the Premiership contenders or Champions at some stage.

1997? 1998?

1997? 1998?

By run, I also mean the final. In both cases, we came up against the Champions or contenders in the Final.

1997? 1998?

By run, I also mean the final. In both cases, we came up against the Champions or contenders in the Final.

Ok, fair point.

Should be a good game, hopefully it won't be as bad as last year :lol:

What a awful and boring game that was. Real shame for the first time back at Wembley. I'd like to see Pompey win today, but as long as it's exciting and goal filled it'll do.

Without Defoe, they haven't got a great deal of potency up top. Kanu is not much of a goalscorer and Baros hasn't had a good game since Euro 2004. Might take a Krankjar special or a surging run from midfield. ;)

Well i don't want Harry Redknapp's team to win anything but on the other hand im not too keen on a welsh club winning it either.

Prediction 2-0 pompey

Don't mind who wins this, both haven't had the trophy for absolutely years. Just hope it's a good game.

This is what I reckon is the true beauty of today's game, it has the potential to be a great game, rather than a Man U - Arsenal borefest where they cancel each other out and someone wins 1-0.

I can see a good open game (fingers crossed!).

Well i don't want Harry Redknapp's team to win anything but on the other hand im not too keen on a welsh club winning it either.

Prediction 2-0 pompey

my sentiments exactly (hopefully at least one of those goals in the first half as i've took portsmouth/portsmouth  half time/full time)