Milner on his way?

stozo

It would be a disaster if we sold him and had Geremi as our first choice on the wing, Milner is Linford Christie compared to Geremi and while still needs to improve his crossing has the time to improve while Geremi will only get worse

It would be a disaster if we sold him and had Geremi as our first choice on the wing, Milner is Linford Christie compared to Geremi and while still needs to improve his crossing has the time to improve while Geremi will only get worse

can't see either being starting 11.

Pointless selling him unless we can get a really good fee for him. He could still do well here, but i think his future could be in the middle, as i and others have said. The thing is, we're not really in a position at the moment where we've got the luxury of experimenting with young players; ie - helping them more than they help us, so if we do get a good offer for him i'd let him go.

But he's an important squad player, so it would definitely have to be a good fee. Upwards of £6m, in this market. :thup:

I'd have liked to see him take Geremi's position for the last few games of the season in the 4-3-3. Evidently he wasn't fit, but I think he'd have done well there. Bit more pace, far more legs, less emphasis on crossing as such, and works his bollocks off for 90mins.

I'd have liked to see him take Geremi's position for the last few games of the season in the 4-3-3. Evidently he wasn't fit, but I think he'd have done well there. Bit more pace, far more legs, less emphasis on crossing as such, and works his bollocks off for 90mins.

I think a place in that midfield 3 would be the best position for him (right or left).

Who do we have in midfield at the moment?

Duff

Barton

Butt

Geremi

N'Zogbia

Am I missing anyone? (didn't put Milner in for a reason). I would always play Milner ahead of Duff and on his early season form Milner would have been getting ahead of Geremi for me, Milner hasn't really had the Keegan benefit the rest have either and even then Geremi although putting in a few nice balls hasn't been all that amazing. Couple of those are getting on a bit aswell, there are issues with N'Zogbia and Barton so I really don't think we can afford to let Milner go. I would be shocked if we signed more than 2 midfielders so that would leave us with a squad of 8 midfielders, there are others I would prefer to leave before JM.

Emre. Although I can see how you would have forgotten about him.. Still, a first team midfielder for me when fit..

Absolutely, i really think it'd be worth a shot. Try it in pre-season i say. :thup:

Geremi's game revolves around short passing interchanges with Beye and Butt (from what i've seen anyway). Milner can fit into that game fine imo, given that he's not a great sprinter, but a very good team player. It was often the case last season, that Dyer or Martins would push wide and do quick, short passes with Milner, which would result in a (dodgy) cross.

That said, i still don't think Jimmy's a poor crosser of the ball, just inconsistent. And he's got a very good eye for goal, which is more than what Geremi has.

Oh yeah Emre :lol: he has he ability to be a better player than Milner but hardly ever is.

I would rather keep Milner over Duff, Geremi and Emre. Leaving:

Barton - Headcase, maybe spending time inside

N'Zogbia - Attitude problems

Butt - Getting on but probably the best we have in that position.

I can see the point about squad depth, and I've thought for a while that his best position might be through the middle, so Geremi's role in the 4-3-3 might suit him.

But honestly, he's just another grafter in a midfield group that's desperately screaming out for someone with a bit of class on the ball. N'Zogbia is the only midfielder we have that is capable of producing something special, and that's with his dribbling rather than anything he can do picking out a pass.

We desperately need a playmaker, and if selling Milner helps us get one in then I'm all for it. That said, ideally we'd keep him and get ourselves a playmaker as well.

Yeah but that said I reckon Milner is one of our most saleable players, and getting in £5-7m for a player that (now this is only my opinion Jon and I hope we can still be friends after I say it :razz: ) will never be more than a passable squad man may not exactly be bad business by any means.

Geremi and Butt have little or no sale value, and nobody will be mad enough to take Barton off our hands you would think. So that's 3 guys I can't see going anywhere.

If N'Zogbia really does want to stay then I'm happy to see Milner move on to be fair, that is if Keegan wants to keep his 4-3-3 system of course. Get someone really quality in to play Geremi's role, and a young DM to compete with and ultimately succeed Nicky Butt. Then Barton and N'Zogbia fight it out for the other spot in midfield with the loser, Geremi and Butt/Young DM providing the cover. Hopefully Kazenga Lua-Lua can start getting a sniff around the first team in the next couple of years too.

But theres a big difference in the way they play the game, and a small but signifncant difference on technical ability and control/passing style/methods.

Geremi is more of a team player, someone who plays very simply, traps the ball comfortably and gives it to a team-mate. Sometimes he loses concentration or tries a clever pass and completely fucks up, but the rest of the time hes a decent team player.

Whereas Milner is like that annoying b****** we've all played with, the one who whenever he gets the ball, always goes on a dribble, and generally hogs it whilst trying to work an opening. Hes capable of doing something good once in a while if he has enough attempts, but he destroys the team fluidity in order to do so. Of course, Milner isnt like that all the time, he wouldnt be playing in the Premiership if he was, but hes in that mould of player for me, and is essentially someone who might stick out in a really s*** side because hes capable of playing his own game regardless of those around him, but isnt capable of being part of a team that plays the ball on the deck.

He's almost like the opposite of Nobby.

Whereas Milner is like that annoying b****** we've all played with, the one who whenever he gets the ball, always goes on a dribble, and generally hogs it whilst trying to work an opening. Hes capable of doing something good once in a while if he has enough attempts, but he destroys the team fluidity in order to do so. Of course, Milner isnt like that all the time, he wouldnt be playing in the Premiership if he was, but hes in that mould of player for me, and is essentially someone who might stick out in a really s*** side because hes capable of playing his own game regardless of those around him, but isnt capable of being part of a team that plays the ball on the deck.

I think you've got it exactly wrong. We didn't have any mobility up front, so Milner would have to work an opening instead of just whipping in a cross. Consider his assist against Villa as an example what he's able to do when he does have an option. When he's on his own out on the wing, and the midget strikers are sandwiched in between the defenders, then he doesn't have a choice. He doesn't have Nobby's sublime right foot, but it's far too early to say he's not adaptable to different roles in the team. And unlike Nobby, he's also got a useful left foot. I'm sure Keegan will get more out of him than Roeder and Allardyce did.

I think you've got it exactly wrong. We didn't have any mobility up front, so Milner would have to work an opening instead of just whipping in a cross. Consider his assist against Villa as an example what he's able to do when he does have an option. When he's on his own out on the wing, and the midget strikers are sandwiched in between the defenders, then he doesn't have a choice. He doesn't have Nobby's sublime right foot, but it's far too early to say he's not adaptable to different roles in the team. And unlike Nobby, he's also got a useful left foot. I'm sure Keegan will get more out of him than Roeder and Allardyce did.

Milner on the flank constantly turning in and out has little to do with the movement of our frontline. Its just a part of Milner's game, no different to Parker's pirouettes (and likewise blaming the team for him refusing to pass forwards whist turning back and forth), and although it achievies its initial aims of working an opening and gaining a bit of ground on the fullback, it both allows the opposition time to sort themselves out whilst killing any momentum built up, as well as usually being followed up by a poor delivery.

The Villa goal wasnt an example of what good movement can provide and therefore how it can improve Milner's end product, it was merely an example of how Milner can eventually do something given enough attempts. He's tried crosses from that area all season, and they've either been overhit going straight into the keeper's gloves, or have gone straight onto the head of a defender. That cant be put down to forwards not making the right runs because its simply not the case with Milner's poor performances this season. If the ball is good, regardless of whether the forward makes the right run or not, you'll know it, because its all about getting it into the right area with the right pace. NZogbia a few times this season from the left back slot has done just that, hes whipped a devilishly good cross in without anyone making a run to get on the end of it, but thats what you want to see, and its only then that you can blame the forward for not making the run. Milner, on the other hand, has spent most of the season floating crosses into usesless areas, over the heads of our strikers, and so forth.

In terms of other positions, maybe he'll be good in the middle, its not possible to say for certain without him having been given a run of games there, but hes not a good footballer by any means for me. He's a workhorse with one or two tricks and the ability to turn on the ball, but he lacks any real quality or technical ability. I've never seen anything to suggest he does have the required technical or passing ability for a central midfielder, yet he's forever being mentionted as someone who might be good there, which a year or two ago was the same case put forward for him being classed as a good right winger.

Compare him to Barton for example (well, Barton under Keegan). He hasnt got anything like the passing range and technique, vision, composure, first touch, etc, all of which Barton has in his game to a relatively minor extent. Milner has none of those attributes imo comparable to a decent Premiership standard central midfielder. The best he could be in that position is a player who does all his work off the ball, and pops up in dangerous positions, but then even with a player like that theres no reason for them not to have good ball control and technique - e.g. Owen, who is effectively doing that role in terms of working hard in midfield and then getting on the end of chances.

Overall, I wouldnt want him sold for the sake of it as maybe he'll improve, but imo we've seen enough from him that suggests hes one of the contributers to us being a side that is incapable of keeping the ball effectively, a side with little creativity or ability but lots of graft. If Keegan sticks with him, I'll have no complaints, but based on the types of players Keegan signed whilst last here, I just cant see Milner fitting in well enough to be worth keeping hold of.

Milner on the flank constantly turning in and out has little to do with the movement of our frontline. Its just a part of Milner's game, no different to Parker's pirouettes (and likewise blaming the team for him refusing to pass forwards whist turning back and forth), and although it achievies its initial aims of working an opening and gaining a bit of ground on the fullback, it both allows the opposition time to sort themselves out whilst killing any momentum built up, as well as usually being followed up by a poor delivery.

The Villa goal wasnt an example of what good movement can provide and therefore how it can improve Milner's end product, it was merely an example of how Milner can eventually do something given enough attempts. He's tried crosses from that area all season, and they've either been overhit going straight into the keeper's gloves, or have gone straight onto the head of a defender. That cant be put down to forwards not making the right runs because its simply not the case with Milner's poor performances this season. If the ball is good, regardless of whether the forward makes the right run or not, you'll know it, because its all about getting it into the right area with the right pace. NZogbia a few times this season from the left back slot has done just that, hes whipped a devilishly good cross in without anyone making a run to get on the end of it, but thats what you want to see, and its only then that you can blame the forward for not making the run. Milner, on the other hand, has spent most of the season floating crosses into usesless areas, over the heads of our strikers, and so forth.

In terms of other positions, maybe he'll be good in the middle, its not possible to say for certain without him having been given a run of games there, but hes not a good footballer by any means for me. He's a workhorse with one or two tricks and the ability to turn on the ball, but he lacks any real quality or technical ability. I've never seen anything to suggest he does have the required technical or passing ability for a central midfielder, yet he's forever being mentionted as someone who might be good there, which a year or two ago was the same case put forward for him being classed as a good right winger.

Compare him to Barton for example (well, Barton under Keegan). He hasnt got anything like the passing range and technique, vision, composure, first touch, etc, all of which Barton has in his game to a relatively minor extent. Milner has none of those attributes imo comparable to a decent Premiership standard central midfielder. The best he could be in that position is a player who does all his work off the ball, and pops up in dangerous positions, but then even with a player like that theres no reason for them not to have good ball control and technique - e.g. Owen, who is effectively doing that role in terms of working hard in midfield and then getting on the end of chances.

Overall, I wouldnt want him sold for the sake of it as maybe he'll improve, but imo we've seen enough from him that suggests hes one of the contributers to us being a side that is incapable of keeping the ball effectively, a side with little creativity or ability but lots of graft. If Keegan sticks with him, I'll have no complaints, but based on the types of players Keegan signed whilst last here, I just cant see Milner fitting in well enough to be worth keeping hold of.

I remember after the Chelsea 0-0 when Roeder was in charge you thought he was the business.  :razz:

A wise man once said something along the lines of "we will never win anything with a team of James Milners"

I have to agree. We need a better right midfield, also if KK wants to do the 433 formation then Milner would be pretty useless here anyway.