Milner on his way?

stozo

Several papers linking with 'Boro and Villa.

Link

MIDDLESBROUGH manager Gareth Southgate is hoping to persuade Newcastle United to sell James Milner after identifying the England Under-21 international as the ideal man to strengthen his midfield next season.

Milner (pictured below) has been a long-term target of Southgate, who also tried to sign the youngster when he was on the verge of moving to Aston Villa two years ago, and Boro are set to enquire about his availability again this summer.

United manager Kevin Keegan has already argued he does not want to let any of his squad leave St James’s Park, but that does not mean a sizeable bid would not tempt him to cash in.

Milner has been an important figure in the Newcastle side for the last two seasons, but he is not guaranteed a first-team place under Keegan.

Despite recovering from a nasty foot injury with three weeks of the season remaining, the 22-year-old did not even make the substitutes’ bench against either Chelsea or Everton and has not played a senior game since the 3-0 home defeat by Liverpool at the start of March.

The former Leeds United prospect did not figure in Newcastle’s spring-time recovery under Keegan, when he was replaced by Geremi on the right side of a three-man midfield – and that has alerted Boro to the possibility that Keegan could be willing to let him go. Boro will not be the only Premier League club interested in Milner if Newcastle do decide to sell and Villa manager Martin O’Neill would also like to take him back to Villa Park, where he spent a successful loan spell in the 2005-06 season, if he becomes available.

Southgate, who has firmly denied an interest in United striker Alan Smith, despite reports earlier this week that he was about to bid for the former England international, believes midfield was Boro’s problem area last season. With Gary O’Neil looking for a move back down south as his family have failed to settle on Teesside and Fabio Rochemback already returning to Portugal’s Sporting Lisbon, Boro desperately need to add to that department when the transfer window opens. Milner was one of Sir Bobby Robson’s last signings as Magpies manager in 2004 and has become a crowd favourite at St James’s Park because of his excellent attitude and commitment.

However, he is unlikely to want to be a squad player at Newcastle and could be tempted by a switch to the Riverside if Keegan does not see him as a key figure next season. United paid an initial £3.5m to Leeds to bring him to Tyneside, but they would want at least £5m to part with him.

After all this time, he's a player that I still haven't completely made my mind up about. I'm not sure that, ultimately, he's got the pace to play wide at the top level. He maybe needs a freer role, more central.

Obviously I rate the lad so I am biased but I can't see why anyone would think its a good idea to move him on, unless you think we are going to sign about 10 players this summer whats the point?

Ideally we already need a striker, left back, right back, 2 centre backs, left winger, right winger, attacking midfielder and a holding midfielder. Whats the point in creating another place that needs to be filled?

A load of made up shite as usual,

Would normaly say the same but it's in the Journal, Guardian, Mirror and Sun. Usually if 3 or 4 papers are reporting the same thing it's got some legs to it.

Would normaly say the same but it's in the Journal, Guardian, Mirror and Sun. Usually if 3 or 4 papers are reporting the same thing it's got some legs to it.

It was more the stuff about him not making the bench, when in fact he's not even fit

As Gejon said, unless we are signing a lot more than just the 3 or 4 mentioned by KK, I see no reason to let a england under 21 internationalist go, surely we need to build a quality squad, one with depth and having people like Milner must be a way of doing that? He's certainly better than most of the wingers I've seen outside of the top 4 and as we aint competing with them, not sure why we would let him go.

Wouldn't mind him leaving if we got someone better in. If we couldn't improve though then keep him.

Even if we do get someone better in (and I hope we do) he will still be a very useful squad player who can cover at least 3 positions. If he wants to move then fair enough there is nothing we can do but I can see him staying a least a season to battle it out before he starts itching for a move.

Bollocks. It just means that the "sources" they claim are among the other journalists.

I hope not. Whilst I'm not sure he's really good enough for where we ultimately want to be, he's good enough for right now in our squad, and is a player who genuinely cares. Can't think of many more honest players. And as others say, it'd just be another gap to fill.

Who do we have in midfield at the moment?

Duff

Barton

Butt

Geremi

N'Zogbia

Am I missing anyone? (didn't put Milner in for a reason). I would always play Milner ahead of Duff and on his early season form Milner would have been getting ahead of Geremi for me, Milner hasn't really had the Keegan benefit the rest have either and even then Geremi although putting in a few nice balls hasn't been all that amazing. Couple of those are getting on a bit aswell, there are issues with N'Zogbia and Barton so I really don't think we can afford to let Milner go. I would be shocked if we signed more than 2 midfielders so that would leave us with a squad of 8 midfielders, there are others I would prefer to leave before JM.