The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's certainly true about the lack of technical ability in English players compared to many foreign nations. Even when we play minnows such as Andorra, they're streets ahead of us in terms of overall technique on the ball. We have some good players, but when it comes to ability, as a team we're decidedly average.

Iniesta has been class imo.

Spain have such an excellent midfield, all technically gifted. And its important to note that La Liga has a huge number of foreigners playing there, particularly South Americans, yet the Spaniards have had no problem consistently producing class/gifted players.

Gerraway man. Until now, Spain are probably the only major footballing nation who've underperformed more than England at international level.

I think you've missed the point.

I haven't like.

You can still produce class players yet underperform at International Level.

Why did tmonkey mention the number of foreigners then? Seemed clear to me that he was talking about the excuses made about the England side re: the number of foreign players in the league. No reason to mention them otherwise.

Im merely saiyng that its not enough to point at the foreign players and blame our lack of a real quality pool of players to pick from because of them.

If we had better coaching and selection methods, as well as more freedom in domestic player transfers, we probably wouldnt need to sign as many foreigners as the Premiership does.

Its easy to point to a few good domestic players produced by us and think we're doing OK, but look past that, and you'll find clubs like us are producing utter shit like Matty Pattison and Shola Ameobi when teams like Villarreal can put youngsters out on the pitch that could give our first team a run for our money in terms of ability/possession. Seriously, wtf is going on?

Although Villa was good in the group stages and got the goals in the 442 system, I think that his form stopped Spain from playing in a 451 formation in which they are even better.

This stupid goal music has officially gotten to my head. I expect to hear it played after every goal I see in football. I hope this does not last much longer. Today I was playing FM and I found myself expecting to hear that bloody song whenever there was a goal.

This stupid goal music has officially gotten to my head. I expect to hear it played after every goal I see in football. I hope this does not last much longer. Today I was playing FM and I found myself expecting to hear that bloody song whenever there was a goal.

Have to say, i'm not a fan of it. Music when the players come out is fine so long as it has some sort of affiliation to the teams (well, to the home team ), which rules out Seven Nation Army here, unless i'm missing something. After goals though, nah, i'd rather just hear the fans singing - but then i'm a traditionalist. Random music when trophies being lifted is nicht so gut either.

Even when we play minnows such as Andorra, they're streets ahead of us in terms of overall technique on the ball.

:lol: Steady.

Might be a shit example, but we've played some very crap nations and their actual technique is lots better than ours.

Even when we play minnows such as Andorra, they're streets ahead of us in terms of overall technique on the ball.

:lol: Steady.

Might be a shit example, but we've played some very crap nations and their actual technique is lots better than ours.

Yeh, I was just amused at the example of a glorified ski village. :lol:

We do produce players of skill, but what I often feel separates us from the better international sides is that the skill isn't spread throughout the side. With sides like Spain, even the defenders and the defensive midfielder are reasonably comfortable on the ball. They don't mess up an attacking move if the ball happens to land at their feet or if there's a chance to get forward.

As an example of what I mean, in the last few England games, we've had Wes Brown and Ashley Cole at full back, neither of whom are technically gifted on the ball. It's all very well having the likes of Bentley or Joe Cole ahead of them, but they also have to rely on support from other players to sustain a move, and too often they get let down. It's difficult for a team to sustain a rhythm is not everyone can pull their weight when we're in possession.

I think the only problem with England is that we don't play very well as a team.

I think John Terry is over-rated but you don't get much better than him & Rio (who can supply the pace) at the back. Both have the ability to carry the ball too. Ashley Cole is technically sound...you don't play for Arsenal for X amount of years without.. this season apart he's been brilliant for club and country....

The whole Croatia thing is void because that team had never played together before. 3 worldclass defenders were missing.

It's the midfield and attack which just don't work in unison.

Fabregas ftw

In spain they play loads of Futsal, it really builds your skills. Here we play 5 a side but it has side boards so you don't have to have as much control.

The ball is a lot smaller and heavier as well, again making controlling it more important, and it also means you can't smack it in from your own half like you can in 5-a-side, meaning dribbling & passing is more important. Played it when I was at Uni in Spain and I was completely out of my depth.

Germany to win the final 2-0. They played so badly against Turkey and Spain played so well against Russia that no other result is possible. This is the way the Gods of Football work.

Ballack also a doubt. He must be one of the unluckiest players about.

He wasn't so unlucky when he clearly fouled Paulo Ferreira before nodding in Germany's third against Portugal.

Ballack also a doubt. He must be one of the unluckiest players about.

He wasn't so unlucky when he clearly fouled Paulo Ferreira before nodding in Germany's third against Portugal.

that's neither here nor there