The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At last a game I have some interest in at the Euros. and it sounds like it's going well so far. Why do I have this nagging doubt, though that something will appen once again to prevent Spain winning an international tournement. Honestly with both Spanish and English blood in my veins, I couldn't have picked two more underachiving nations to follow.

Holland have probably had better players than both teams and have never won the world cup.

Not necessarily as a team however, I think the dutch have had some outstading individuals but they've also had some fillers in there too. while as England and Spain have had much more depth too their squads, which is unstandable considering the population of each nation. The Dutch have also won the Euros before and twice been in World cup finals. Spain, have won nowt, while England have won one world cup on home soil, with just 2 semi final appereances in major tournements. For two nations with such a footbal culture, those records are quite frankly pathetic.

I'd say the last world cup is the only time in recent years we've had a team that could really compete. Euro 96 apart I don't think we have had the overall team/squad to compete.. I mean Heskey ffs. Defensively we've been solid for some years but have lacked creatively in midfield.

Can't deny the class of Spain though.

All 3 teams have had considerably better first teams than than the back-to-back Final/Semi finals of those jammy German bastards.

lol @ Adam not placing a bet.

Desailly is class. :lol:

He speaks a lot of sense but his English is poor and his phrases are hilarious.

For sure.

It's not poor in the slightest. :lol:  It's just his nature, it's funny.

Some beautiful passing football from Spain. They look fantastic... i missed last night's game; do they look better than Holland?

Holland played well but it was a more even game, but they were playing Italy and Italy could of scored a few. Russia have been ok but aren't Italy, though they have just scored. Still think going forward Spain re top class, especially with their movement in midfield. Will be an interesting tournament.

I've liked the refereeing so far in this tournament.. not too picky at all

Seriously? I thought the France/Romania and Switzerland/Czech games, in-particular, had referees that were petty as fuck.

one interesting thing is that we havent even seen spain's midfield at their best. they've obviously dominated, but they haven't really created the goals with crosses or creative moves (outside of the second goal set up by iniesta's juking). most of the chances and goals have been created purely by the strikers outrunning the defense. haven't seen too many crosses or the midfielders passing into the box or anything like that, which players like cesc are clearly capable of. adds another element going forward.

I've liked the refereeing so far in this tournament.. not too picky at all

Seriously? I thought the France/Romania and Switzerland/Czech games, in-particular, had referees that were petty as f***.

Only really referring to this match and the Italy/Holland to be honest.. I didn't watch the whole of those 2 other games, some major paint drying action in the other room.