Summer 2008 Manager Thread - CHELSEA GET SCOLARI

maze

Guest Phil K

These are the same fans who had a go at us for the ditching of Allardyce.

Yes, they never demanded his sacking, but nor did we of Big Sam

And they were very grumpy (like we were) of how things had deteriorated a bit at Citeh

I think they had as little to do with Sven's sacking as had we with Sam's

Difference was, they had a helluva lot less to complain about at the time than we did....

WE got panned by other supporters and the media.

They won't though.

Silly from both parties, Hughes isn't a better manager than Eriksson and secondly Manchester City is a silly job to take on Hughes' perspective considering how he's built up Blackburn over the last few seasons and how easily it will be for him to get sacked if he doesn't over achieve next season providing he takes the job.

Silly from both parties, Hughes isn't a better manager than Eriksson and secondly Manchester City is a silly job to take on Hughes' perspective considering how he's built up Blackburn over the last few seasons and how easily it will be for him to get sacked if he doesn't over achieve next season providing he takes the job.

More resources though innit.

More resources though innit.

That's the only reason he's going, surely, still think he would be better off at Blackburn because if he doesn't exceed the expectations which is quite likely considering the idiot wants top 4 straight away then where does that leave Hughes? I'm pretty sure Man U won't come after him.

So tempted to sign up to a City forum as Tsaksven Siliwanka and stir up some shit.

With Hughes being ex Man U, he's not going to get much leeway with City fans if he doesn't get off to a good start next season.

Thaksin confirming his insanity.

I see what Dave says about it being possible that Hughes is trying to force Chelski's hand into making a move for him rather than being genuinely interested in the Man City job, but either way I think Man City is a poisoned chalice and Chelsea will be looking elsewhere tbh.

Hughes is a manager who needs time to get the potential out of a club and he simply won't get that at Citeh.

Suprised Thaksin isn't after a world superstar manager like Scolari.

If he's considering going to City he must be insane. At Blackburn he finished 7th, has built a good squad which he can improve upon and most importantly his chairman isn't bat shit insane/a dictator. Probably is just trying to test Chelsea to see if they really want him.

If he's considering going to City he must be insane. At Blackburn he finished 7th, has built a good squad which he can improve upon and most importantly his chairman isn't bat s*** insane/a dictator. Probably is just trying to test Chelsea to see if they really want him.

Option 1 - Stay at Blackburn for years where it's going to be very hard to maintain a European spot on a limited budget, so all the time your reputation is fading.

Option 2 - Go to city and get a £3m/year, 3 year contract + pots of cash to improve a decent squad. Either do well (more easily than you would at Blackburn) and improve your reputation, or get sacked after 6 months when you're not in the top 4 and leave for a new job with £9m in your pocket and reputation intact.

If he's considering going to City he must be insane. At Blackburn he finished 7th, has built a good squad which he can improve upon and most importantly his chairman isn't bat s*** insane/a dictator. Probably is just trying to test Chelsea to see if they really want him.

Option 1 - Stay at Blackburn for years where it's going to be very hard to maintain a European spot on a limited budget, so all the time your reputation is fading.

Option 2 - Go to city and get a £3m/year, 3 year contract + pots of cash to improve a decent squad. Either do well (more easily than you would at Blackburn) and improve your reputation, or get sacked after 6 months when you're not in the top 4 and leave for a new job with £9m in your pocket and reputation intact.

Being sacked by Man City will not do him any favours (other than financially.) Unlike Sven he doesn't yet have a world reputation to fall back on.

Being sacked by Man City will not do him any favours (other than financially.) Unlike Sven he doesn't yet have a world reputation to fall back on.

Would you say Allardyce has a worse reputation now than he did 12 months ago? Other than amongst Newcastle supporters I don't think he has, everyone else thought he was doing a great job and was very unfairly dismissed.

Would you say Allardyce has a worse reputation now than he did 12 months ago? Other than amongst Newcastle supporters I don't think he has, everyone else thought he was doing a great job and was very unfairly dismissed.

I would say yes. He has to go on Sky Sports programs to keep his face in the media because he's other wise off the map now. He was found out majorly. Failing here is pretty much the end of every managers career (Dalglish, Gullit, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce). He might get a job with a championship team though.

Hughes has done ok but beyond the hype, I'm not sure he's cut out for a top team. Who's to say he won't turn out another Allardyce?

This is what I think.

He should stay with Blackburn. They gave him a great chance to establish himself and he's done well, he would be foolish to leave his safety net right now incase things go tits up at a top club.

He's got the chance to establish Blackburn in the UEFA Cup. He might be a bit annoyed with a lack of funds but he's shown himself more than capable of spotting a good bargain.

It's a little thing called Ambition, Obviously Man City job is a lot bigger than the Blackburn job.

Personally I think this would be a great move for Man City, and hughes will see it as a nice stepping stone to the job he really wants. Not having managed a big club could go against him, when Ferguson retires.

Allardyce going to Blackburn would also be a great move for them. Despite his failings with us, you can't fault his track record at Bolton, Balckburn are a different kettle of fish to us and it'll probably suit him down to the ground.

This is a no brainer for Hughes - has to take the job , unless Chelsea come knocking. He's not gonna get another chance to prove himself at a bigger club - his rep will either improve if he does a good job or stay the same if he gets sacked soon enough. It'll all get blamed on Frank.

Not a good career move if Hughes wants the Man U job at some point.

This is the bit that doesn't make sense for me - because I would bet any amount of money that Hughes would one day want the Man Utd job. He was a hero there, so maybe the MUFC fanatics might forgive him being the Citeh manager too...?

But the safety net Stephen927 mentioned is real - the word is out that the next Man U manager isn't going to be a novice or an assistant. All the candidates like Queiroz (and one-time candidates like Robson and Bruce) have got the word, and my hunch is that Hughes feels he needs to add to his resume.

Because if it's not that, then yeah, it's fucking stupid! He's built a good squad at Blackburn, and to leave it for that nutcase? The man would need his head read!

Guest Peter.Sthlm

Am I the only one seriously doubting that the likes of Hughes, Keane, Bruce etc will even be considered for the Man U job once Fergie leaves? It's not like they are gonna be short of options. More or less every manager in the world would probably except it since I reckon most people see it as the biggest job in the EPL and since the EPL is the best league well therefor maybe even the biggest job the world. I can't see them choosing the likes of Hughes or Bruce over the likes of Hiddink or Lippi.

Allardyce always had that question mark hanging over his head of whether he could manage a big club and whether he would change his style. He came up short and it has damaged his reputation.

Hughes has achieved pretty much all he can at Blackburn. He may stay longer like Bruce did when we came knocking and lose his stock. He may have already stayed too long and end up jumping at any chance to manage a bigger club (like Curbs).

Difficult decision. Man. City are in that UEFA cup band of 6 or so teams.. the Evertons all the way down to us.. financially it seems West Ham and Blackburn are the weakest members of that group and could soon fall out.

Big decision.