Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Although there is no doubt he has talent I don't really see where Aimar is likely to fit in, Keegan isn't going to drop Owen  for him and he doesn't play wide and is too lightweight for a midfield slot in 4-4-2 or in the Barton/Geremi role.

Was wondering the same, surely he'd go straight into the role Owen took in the 4-3-3? Meaning Owen back up top (with Martins?) which concerns me.

Although there is no doubt he has talent I don't really see where Aimar is likely to fit in, Keegan isn't going to drop Owen  for him and he doesn't play wide and is too lightweight for a midfield slot in 4-4-2 or in the Barton/Geremi role.

Was wondering the same, surely he'd go straight into the role Owen took in the 4-3-3? Meaning Owen back up top (with Martins?) which concerns me.

Or perhaps there's some mileage in the Martins to Arsenal stories and there's more of a targetman coming in.

That article is so poorly written...

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan is set to sign Argentine star Pablo Aimar in a sensational £7million deal - the biggest signing he has made since returning to St James' Park in January.

Aimar, 28, a Keegan-type attacker, was close to joining Benfica yesterday but decided he would like to come to England when Newcastle met the asking price and cleared his route.

The deal, first revealed on June 3, is also a feather in the cap of Newcastle wheeler-dealers Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez who pulled off the coup along with Spanish 'expert' Jeff Vetere.

....to pick on 3 points at least.  I always fancied being a sports journo.  I reckon I'd have a chance.

Or perhaps there's some mileage in the Martins to Arsenal stories and there's more of a targetman coming in.

Exactly, although Owen and Martins are very good players, both work best with the target man alongside them and Owen has shown himself to be a lot more use in the 'hole' than he has upfront of recent.

I'll be fuming if we get rid of Martins.

The big worry is that this story has meant to have originated from a source at the club, they seem to be trying very hard to keep any deals very quiet, I hope it is true but I have my doubts.

The big worry is that this story has meant to have originated from a source at the club, they seem to be trying very hard to keep any deals very quiet, I hope it is true but I have my doubts.

Its just a cover up leaked from the club. Tomorrow we'll announce the signing of Diego  :snod:

Its just a cover up leaked from the club. Tomorrow we'll announce the signing of Diego  :snod:

You make me dreaming... :-)

What's Aimar's recent injury record like?

Anybody?

Wiki reckons he only played 22 games for Zaragoza last year, sounds worrying.

More to do with form than injury as far as I know.

This is a great signing Dave we should all be proud of the negotiating efforts.

Anybody?

This is a great signing Dave we should all be proud of the negotiating efforts.

Need to give him a superhero moniker now

Guest nufc_geordie

Have I missed something? As far as I was aware the only report is still the Mirror's article from this morning. Nothing on SKY or BBC etc. as of yet.

Guest Brazilianbob

Seems to me Emre came with a similar reputation to Aimar., so I hope he doesn't spend as long in the treatment room as Emre.

Only 22 games last season doesn't bode well even if some of his absences were down to form, or lack of it, which is probably due to lack of first team football.

Can we really accommodate a player who is playing appallingly week in week out, in the hope of regaining his form.  Hang we can!  Smith anyone?

Anybody?

He had an operation in January and was out until April tbh.

Before anyone gets carried away, it's more than likely this is Aimar's agent trying to get more money from Benfica. £7m for a 28yr old doesn't tie in with Ashley's current player recruitment policy of younger players so I would be surprised if there is much in it.

Before anyone gets carried away, it's more than likely this is Aimar's agent trying to get more money from Benfica. £7m for a 28yr old doesn't tie in with Ashley's current player recruitment policy of younger players so I would be surprised if there is much in it.

Are you ITK?