Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

FWIW, I've only seen the Youtube clips  and although he looks tremendously skillful, he looks like one of those who's only interested in going forward. Couldn't se him tracking back much.

Give him more of a free role, if you do that you really see the best of those sort of players. I'm sure Keegan would know what to do with him.

Nope. He would´t do that. Aimar is a pure attacking player :snod:

He wouldn't do what? If he's a pure attacking player a free role would suit him. ???

You've got to ask why he's playing for a poor team in Spain with his reputation - think it's clear he's past the form he showed at Valencia. May be an interesting signing for his creativity, especially considering the ridiculous decision to sell Emre. Wouldn't mind having him here but if we're going on the vibe of signing young, promising players, sense it does not make.

I don't think so, it was Ranieri who didn't like him even though the fans wanted him playing, he went to Zaragoza who were playing very well at the time and were definitely a top 6 club.

tbf marca is usually quite reliable but i agree that if the right offer comes in he will leave.

Marca is worse than our tabloids. It's a daily paper dedicated to sport, that means there's even more bullshit. They got in trouble once for making up quotes from Kaka, or photo shopping him into a Real Madrid shirt, it was something like that. Probably both.

They have their moments but generally they're good. The journalists are much closer to the clubs over there than what ours are, so get more accurate sources.

To be honest, I always thought of Marca as a Real Madrid fanzine...

FWIW, I've only seen the Youtube clips  and although he looks tremendously skillful, he looks like one of those who's only interested in going forward. Couldn't se him tracking back much.

if we did sign him it wont be long before we hear many fans screaming at him for not tracking back as certain fans did with Laurent Robert, Ginola and co....... :rolleyes: ........that`s what you get with luxury players ffs.....can`t all have 11 grafters unless you want a Souness/Allardyce team

• 3 weeks later...

Would be a good squad signing in terms of adding a footballer with ability into a workhorse and boring midfield, but not sure where he'd fit into the first team or if hes good enough to warrant moving Owen back up front.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Aimar has been terrible for a few years now,  Wonder why he has been Transfer Listed for ?? Hmmmmm

Would be a good squad signing in terms of adding a footballer with ability into a workhorse and boring midfield, but not sure where he'd fit into the first team or if hes good enough to warrant moving Owen back up front.

This. Not sure he's strong enough either.

Aimar has been terrible for a few years now,  Wonder why he has been Transfer Listed for ?? Hmmmmm

Because Zaragoza have been relegated and he doesn't want to play 2nd tier football?

I haven't seen him play for over a year but he used to be superb at Valencia a couple of seasons ago.

He's also streets ahead of anybody we currently have in our midfield, so get him in.

I haven't seen him properly since about 2004!  Someone will have to fill me in with reasons that this wouldn't be a good move, as the last time I watched him, he seemed to be a quality player.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Because Zaragoza were relegated?

He was terrible for the last 2 years at Valencia, so they got rid of him, and did not do the business at Zaragoza either.  Pablo Aimar of 5 to 6 years ago whould be a good addition to the team, but not now.

Because Zaragoza were relegated?

He was terrible for the last 2 years at Valencia, so they got rid of him, and did not do the business at Zaragoza either.  Pablo Aimar of 5 to 6 years ago whould be a good addition to the team, but not now.

Fair enough. I was just saying, that sounds like the major reason why he's available.

Guest Heneage

I'd say its a mix of both. He's no way atorcious, but not quite as big as he was tipped, D'alessandro might be safer option.