Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Not got a clue tbh, just pasting what I can find.

No problem but for my own mind I have found the link

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2008/06/22/argentinian-star-keen-on-newcastle-move-79310-21130525/

thats 22nd june mate :S

As I said further up when I read Role Models post today " I am sure the same quotes were in The Sunday Sun a few weeks back" & I had in the Sunday on 22/06/2008.

Guest Bubbles

according to his Wikipedia (the most reliable source ever!):

"On the 5th of July 2008 it was confirmed that he will be signing for premiership side Newcastle United, for a fee around 6-7 million. Aimar is expected to complete a medical on Monday and set be unveiled as a Newcastle United player on the 8/7/08."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Aimar

who the feck makes up this crap?

Guest want_nufc_to_be_big_club

The coach of benfica is Sanches Flores who was the coach at Valencia so maybe thats why he wants to go there.

Also Benfica is playing European football next season and we arent so one more reason...

Pity...

Guest want_nufc_to_be_big_club

I'm not too sorry about this one, because I've had my doubts. He might be a bit lightweight for the Premiership.

Zola,Junihno...=same physics as Aimar=they were success

from the ever reliable mail

Newcastle want to pip Portsmouth to the signing of Pablo Aimar after the south coast club balked at the £7million asking price.

Pablo Aimar

Taking Aim: Argentina's Pablo Aimar is a target for both Portsmouth and Newcastle.

Despite their own cost-cutting, Newcastle believe they can strike a deal with the Argentina midfielder’s relegated team Real Zaragoza. The Spanish club are desperate for cash.

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan is a big attraction to Aimar, who is eager to play in the Barclays Premier League. Talks will be held over the next 24 hours.

from the ever reliable mail

Newcastle want to pip Portsmouth to the signing of Pablo Aimar after the south coast club balked at the £7million asking price.

Pablo Aimar

Taking Aim: Argentina's Pablo Aimar is a target for both Portsmouth and Newcastle.

Despite their own cost-cutting, Newcastle believe they can strike a deal with the Argentina midfielders relegated team Real Zaragoza. The Spanish club are desperate for cash.

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan is a big attraction to Aimar, who is eager to play in the Barclays Premier League. Talks will be held over the next 24 hours.

Gotta love how there's not one mention of his move to Benfica.

If this happens could it be an experienced replacement for Owen? or Martins?

I can't really see Aimar playing any position in the premiership other then the one just behind the strikers, which Owen was playing at the end of last season.

Therefore if Owen leaves then he slots right in. Or if Martins leaves then Owen moves up to striker and Aimar slots in behind.

Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

cheaper and older version of Modric. Par for the course with this board, its like turning the clock back 20 years

Why "board", and not "manager". Or does that go against everything since Keegan can do no wrong in your eyes. Keegan held talks with Modric and fact of the matter is, he wasn't able to attract him here...even though the board stumped up the cash.

cheaper and older version of Modric. Par for the course with this board, its like turning the clock back 20 years

Why "board", and not "manager". Or does that go against everything since Keegan can do no wrong in your eyes. Keegan held talks with Modric and fact of the matter is, he wasn't able to attract him here...even though the board stumped up the cash.

Fair play NE5, you always manage to get someone :lol:

If he was on the wind-up fair enough, but he genuinely does believe this.

If he was on the wind-up fair enough, but he genuinely does believe this.

The two things go hand in hand. O0

We'll see. I am going by the comments made by the current owner/chairman and the 2 managers we have had since they took over. Its not too promising, whatever you want to believe.

Aimar has been a top player, but now he is just a cheaper version of Modric. Modric didn't come. We'll see how much competition for him, and the level of it, if we seriously attempt to sign Aimar.

Fact is a big club like us is acting like a small club. Thats how I see it. I saw this crap for over 20 years under the shower that ran the club down to its knees which ended with foot in the 3rd division in 1992. I think Keegan will do a good job with what he has, but ultimately unless they do something spectacularly correct to change my mind, they are going to let him - and us - down, nd fail to realise the potential that Keegan has.

:lol:

I was actually surprised to discover he was only 28. I thought he was 31 or something.

Modric would have been nice, although his Euro 2008 was a let down for me, but we didn't get him ultimately. Doesn't make Aimar for £6 million a bad move though.