Milner to Liverpool?

Guest Coubury

All he needs to learn how to do is cross. He's not fast, but he doesn't really give possession away much.

I'd prefer to keep him, personally.

He seemed to be able to cross alright at Villa the other year, for some reason.

Yes, he did. I'd like to see him back - and if you took a poll of Villa fans, 90 percent would agree with me - to see if John Robertson could make him an even better crosser.

All he needs to learn how to do is cross. He's not fast, but he doesn't really give possession away much.

Yes, he did. I'd like to see him back - and if you took a poll of Villa fans, 90 percent would agree with me - to see if John Robertson could make him an even better crosser.

How much do you reckon he is worth/would you be willing to pay?

I didn't see much of him at Villa, unfortunately. I just think the sentiment that we should get rid ASAP is a bit misguided.

5m or so.

Liverpool have got a problem with the value of English midfielders at the moment, so they'll probably offer you a couple of players from the Merseyside Paper Boys XI and some scratchcards for him.

I didn't see much of him at Villa, unfortunately. I just think the sentiment that we should get rid ASAP is a bit misguided.

We are an amazing side already and no doubt we will sign shit loads of quality midfielders this summer so we don't need him.

We are an amazing side already and no doubt we will sign shit loads of quality midfielders this summer so we don't need him.

Don't think anyone has ever said that really, you're just throwing your toys out of the pram like you do when anyone dares say Milner is anything but average. He's good enough to start in this team, but that isn't saying much, in an ideal world he would be a squad player but no more, but unfortunately we're not that good so we need player like Milner in the squad.

MiguelJon? Instead of NE5 you should be NEJ.

Get rid, he is shit.

Don't see how me disagreeing with that and saying he is good enough as a squad player is the same as me throwing my toys out of the pram for calling Milner average.

There is a bite for you.

If this is it for Milner in terms of getting any better then the fee is a good one.

But i reckon the club like it has with all the players that have recently come through the doors have not helped Milner reach his potential, or help develop his career.

Would love to see him in central mid, but if Rafa is buying him as a winger then he needs his head read.

If this is it for Milner in terms of getting any better then the fee is a good one.

But i reckon the club like it has with all the players that have recently come through the doors have not helped Milner reach his potential, or help develop his career.

Would love to see him in central mid, but if Rafa is buying him as a winger then he needs his head read.

Yup, definitely think if he is to improve as a player it will be centrally.

I do think Liverpool can provide him more space to do his own job.

But anyway, my concern is that if we really sell Milner and couldn't bring in a few better players before September,

we does look like a relegation battle team.

i'll never understand all the milner hate tbh. ive always rated the guy, canny player who tries his hardest.

lets put it like this, if it came down to ability alone we'd be a lot higher up the table - the problem is half-arsed attempts by our spoilt and pampered players. milner works his socks off and sometimes thats exactly what we need. i'd be sad to see him go (especially for the prices quoted!)

i'll never understand all the milner hate tbh. ive always rated the guy, canny player who tries his hardest.

lets put it like this, if it came down to ability alone we'd be a lot higher up the table - the problem is half-arsed attempts by our spoilt and pampered players. milner works his socks off and sometimes thats exactly what we need. i'd be sad to see him go (especially for the prices quoted!)

Eh? Would've thought we're a team full of grafters with little quality or ability. The only player with a bit of class on a consistent basis is Owen, the rest are either s***, overrated, workhorses, or very inconsistent.

I would have liked to have seen him get to play more under Keegan.  I'd keep him and give him a go in Geremi's spot.  It helps that he could play on the left too, as I thought he did better on the left than he did on the right when Duff came back (and we were still playing 4-4-2).

5m or so.

Liverpool have got a problem with the value of English midfielders at the moment, so they'll probably offer you a couple of players from the Merseyside Paper Boys XI and some scratchcards for him.

You're having a laugh aren't you, in today's market he's worth anywhere between 7mill and 10mill, especially considering the length of contract he is on.

5 Mill will buy you a Michael Chopra at best, if that's all you think Villa will pay, then I would back that he won't be playing there next season.

And Liverpool, don't seem to have too many issues paying a good wedge for English players. They paid 7 Million For crouch a few years back when the market was no where near as in flated, and also 6million for Pennant. Offering 12 - 15 million or whatever it is for Barry, is a good offer.

5m or so.

You're having a laugh aren't you, in today's market he's worth anywhere between 7mill and 10mill, especially considering the length of contract he is on.

5 Mill will buy you a Michael Chopra at best, if that's all you think Villa will pay, then I would back that he won't be playing there next season.

And Liverpool, don't seem to have too many issues paying a good wedge for English players. They paid 7 Million For crouch a few years back when the market was no where near as in flated, and also 6million for Pennant. Offering 12 - 15 million or whatever it is for Barry, is a good offer.

What about the three teenagers they offered you for Milner, was that a good offer?

Liverpool have issues spending money this summer because, other than that raised by the Alonso sale, they haven't got any. What they paid for Crouch a few years ago is immaterial.

I think Milner is a good player, but to take the top end of your range for him, and the bottom of what you think is a good offer for a player like Barry - 2m difference between Milner and Barry?

The poster above asked me what do i reckon he is worth / what do I think we'll be willing to pay. It is the latter I was answering. If MON is going to spend much more than that, I think he'll look elsewhere.

5m or so.

What about the three teenagers they offered you for Milner, was that a good offer?

Liverpool have issues spending money this summer because, other than that raised by the Alonso sale, they haven't got any. What they paid for Crouch a few years ago is immaterial.

I think Milner is a good player, but to take the top end of your range for him, and the bottom of what you think is a good offer for a player like Barry - 2m difference between Milner and Barry?

The poster above asked me what do i reckon he is worth / what do I think we'll be willing to pay. It is the latter I was answering. If MON is going to spend much more than that, I think he'll look elsewhere.

OMG where to start ?

OK there is nothing official comming in about what, if anything Liverpool have offered for Milner. The common gossip is they are offering a deal worth around 7mill, this could be made in cash or players whose value approach that fee or a combinaion of both. That could be true or complete garbage. So please don't state things as FACT when the they are not.

Rumours again that they have a limited spending, this could very well be true, but if it's limited, it's limited for all players not just because they are English.

Absolutely no argument Barry is a much better player, but he's also older and hasn't just signed a 4 or 5 year contract. That's what brings the valuation down. If I were Villa I would sell a 15 mill, but if an offer came in a 12mill plus a good prospect, I would be tempted also.

If we got 10 million for Milner I would take it in a heartbeat, if the best Liverpool, Villa or anyone else could offer is 7 Mill then I would only take it if we had a replacement already signed. I would tell anyone to piss right off with a bid of 5mill.

EDIT:

Just to add if you're right about O'Neill's valuation and this is indicative of how he'll be trying to do business this summer, then you're in for a very boring one because a lot doors will be slamed in his face. But I doubt you are as he didn't seem to shy to get the cheque out for Young and Reo-Cocker.

5m or so.

OMG where to start ?

OK there is nothing official comming in about what, if anything Liverpool have offered for Milner. The common gossip is they are offering a deal worth around 7mill, this could be made in cash or players whose value approach that fee or a combinaion of both. That could be true or complete garbage. So please don't state things as FACT when the they are not.

Rumours again that they have a limited spending, this could very well be true, but if it's limited, it's limited for all players not just because they are English.

Absolutely no argument Barry is a much better player, but he's also older and hasn't just signed a 4 or 5 year contract. That's what brings the valuation down. If I were Villa I would sell a 15 mill, but if an offer came in a 12mill plus a good prospect, I would be tempted also.

If we got 10 million for Milner I would take it in a heartbeat, if the best Liverpool, Villa or anyone else could offer is 7 Mill then I would only take it if we had a replacement already signed. I would tell anyone to piss right off with a bid of 5mill.

EDIT:

Just to add if you're right about O'Neill's valuation and this is indicative of how he'll be trying to do business this summer, then you're in for a very boring one because a lot doors will be slamed in his face. But I doubt you are as he didn't seem to shy to get the cheque out for Young and Reo-Cocker.

I didn't say Liverpool's spending was limited only for English players - what sense woud that make? I thought it was pretty clear from what I said, Liverpool have no money, regardless of the nationality of player they want.

WHere did this "English players" thing come from, anyway? You're taking it literally, I mentioned it obviously referring specifically to Gareth Barry, what with him being an English midfielder.

The three youth team players offer was the one widely reported. I'm not saying that is what I think he is worth, just that Liverpool are being cheeky gits in the market this summer.

If we got offered 15m for Barry, I too would take it. He hasn't just signed a 4 or 5 year contract, no, but he does still have 2 years on his contract. He's an England midfielder and recent captain with 20 caps. We've got to replace him if we sell him, we don't need the money, so the fee we look for should reflect that.

Which good prospects could Liverpool offer us as makeweights in the Barry deal, incidentally?

Milner for 10m? Look back at my posts about him, I really rate the lad, but nobody is going to give you 10 million for him. Nobody.

I didn't say this is indicative of how MON will do business this summer, I said that is what I think he would be prepared to pay for Milner. He clearly likes the lad, he was about to buy him 2 years ago when FFS pulled the plug at the last moment. I just don't think he's sufficiently bothered to pay much more than 5m for him - an "if i can get him for not too much, I'll take him, otherwise I'm not bothered" signing, if you like.

[i didn't say this is indicative of how MON will do business this summer, I said that is what I think he would be prepared to pay for Milner. He clearly likes the lad, he was about to buy him 2 years ago when FFS pulled the plug at the last moment. I just don't think he's sufficiently bothered to pay much more than 5m for him - an "if i can get him for not too much, I'll take him, otherwise I'm not bothered" signing, if you like.

I reckon that this is the inverse of how most people at Newcastle would view Milner. We've got a thin squad, but he's not a key first team member, so if we can get more that he's worth then go for it. If not, not so bothered. He's hardly a player that seems to induce excitement :lol:

So today then we are meant to be asking £9mill for Milner ot taking £7mill + Danny Guthrie from Liverpool. ...

Villa have meant to have pulled out after offering £7mill for Bentley :lol:

So today then we are meant to be asking £9mill for Milner ot taking £7mill + Danny Guthrie from Liverpool. ...

Villa have meant to have pulled out after offering £7mill for Bentley :lol:

I know how  much we've offered for Bentley, and it is considerably more than that.

He won't come though.

My take on this is that we are willing to take 7 million for Milner and are trying to replace him with Arda Turan who will cost us considerably more, has no prem experience and from what I have seen he isn't exactly pulling up trees...

I would take 7 million for him but would prefer to go for SWP or somebody we know who has pace and will offer us something different. Arda Turan would fit better into the middle three in our 433, I don't see him as an out and out winger...suppose we are sticking with the 433 then...

Two goals in two games (from midfield) at the highest level in his first major championship isn't "pulling up trees"?

We've got some high standards on here sometimes!

thought it was just the gawd awful accent that made villa supporters sound thick but you prove that there may be more than just that.

I didn't say Liverpool's spending was limited only for English players - what sense woud that make? I thought it was pretty clear from what I said, Liverpool have no money, regardless of the nationality of player they want.

WHere did this "English players" thing come from, anyway? You're taking it literally, I mentioned it obviously referring specifically to Gareth Barry, what with him being an English midfielder.

Then why bring it up at all, doesn't add any weight or have any relevance to your statement, just made you look liked you suggest that Liverpool don't value English players. A simple statement along the lines of "I don't think Liverpool have a lot of money this year" would have sufficed.

The three youth team players offer was the one widely reported. I'm not saying that is what I think he is worth, just that Liverpool are being cheeky gits in the market this summer.

The only thing missing from your previous statement was the word FACT at the end of the sentence. It's a rumour, nothing absoloutely nothing solidhas come out of either club. Liverpool might not even have an interest in the player.

If we got offered 15m for Barry, I too would take it. He hasn't just signed a 4 or 5 year contract, no, but he does still have 2 years on his contract. He's an England midfielder and recent captain with 20 caps. We've got to replace him if we sell him, we don't need the money, so the fee we look for should reflect that.

Barry is a good player, who's on the back of one or two very good seasons, where he eventually made the breakthrough to the England team. He is not, a world superstar yet , and at 28 this may very well be his peak. You choose to believe the rumours as fact, as I mentioned earlier. Well the rumours have have bids of between 12m and 15m for him from Liverpool. I don't really see what's so "cheeky" about that, it's a fair price.

Which good prospects could Liverpool offer us as makeweights in the Barry deal, incidentally?

I have no idea and I don't really care !

Milner for 10m? Look back at my posts about him, I really rate the lad, but nobody is going to give you 10 million for him. Nobody.

OK I'll direct you to do the same, look back at my posts, I said I would snatch someone's hands off for that price. That's a little bit different to what you are trying to infer. And BTW, we are in no need to sell, we've got him locked up on a long contract and it would seem we have more than one suitor for him. I said before that he could in the end go for 10 million and I wouldn't be surprised.

I didn't say this is indicative of how MON will do business this summer

And did I suggest that you did ? You made the point of saying that this is how much you expected O'neill to value him. May I suggest then it's Villa that are being the "Cheeky Gits" and not Lieverpool.

He clearly likes the lad, he was about to buy him 2 years ago when FFS pulled the plug at the last moment.

One of Freddie's better moves, and comical to see all the villa people moaning, wasn't the transfer fee muted at 5-7mill back then ??