The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

I wouldnt want him as a first team regular by any stretch but his general link up play has looked better than I can remember recently, since he got his lucky first goal.

Keegan maybe a good motivator but I think Ameobi's confidence was at absolute zero under him, whenever he appeared for us he was playing like he thought no one had any faith in him.

I wouldnt want him as a first team regular by any stretch but his general link up play has looked better than I can remember recently, since he got his lucky first goal.

Keegan maybe a good motivator but I think Ameobi's confidence was at absolute zero under him, whenever he appeared for us he was playing like he thought no one had any faith in him.

Thing about the City goal is that although the finish was pure luck, his control of the ball and body movement was spot on. Really bizarre really  :lol:

As for the other point, I don't think one person on this board said one good thing about Shola during the Keegan era. And why would they? We had Owen, Martins & Viduka firing on all cylinders. I am absolutely perplexed by the resurgance of wor Shola.

If Kinnear some manages to get Alan Smith to score a competitive goal here then THAT will be an achievement.  :lol:

If Shola continues this kind of form, what do people think should happen with his contract?

The big word there is "if".

In all the years he's been getting first team games his form has gone up and down like a whore's knickers. True he has just strung a few decent performances together but that has happened before and ended up getting filed under "false dawn". I'd want to see a sustained run of a couple of months before I'd think about his contract tbh.

Thing about the City goal is that although the finish was pure luck, his control of the ball and body movement was spot on. Really bizarre really  :lol:

As for the other point, I don't think one person on this board said one good thing about Shola during the Keegan era. And why would they? We had Owen, Martins & Viduka firing on all cylinders. I am absolutely perplexed by the resurgance of wor Shola.

If Kinnear some manages to get Alan Smith to score a competitive goal here then THAT will be an achievement.  :lol:

I agree that no one really should have said anything good about him, after all, its down to him to earn his reputation, but when you feel like your manager, team mates and fans have zero faith in you, it has to be hard to pull yourself out of it, and fair play to him for doing it recently.

I cant recall ever thinking Ameobi looks like he has a decent first touch, and has some sort of intelligence on the ball, but the last few games he has looked fairly consistent in that hes bringing down most balls played to him like a premiership footballer should, and actually doing something on the ball, whether it be playing a pass, or taking on his man.

Oba Martins backs partnership with Ameobi

Nov 7 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Shola Ameobi celebrates with team mate Geremi

OBA MARTINS is hoping that his partnership with Shola Ameobi can continue to reap the rewards at Craven Cottage – despite the influential figure of Michael Owen reappearing on the Toon horizon.

United No 9 Martins and Ameobi have chalked up five goals between them in four matches since Owen picked up a groin injury.

And Martins feels the pair can add to their sparkling performances so far.

Both Martins and Ameobi know what it is like to score at Fulham after netting in recent visits, but the African feels both could be smiling on Sunday.

He told the Chronicle: “It is a good partnership and it has been working well together.

“I like Shola – he is a good player.

“But as a striker it is important to work together with whoever you play alongside.”

Both Ameobi and Martins know Owen is stepping up his fitness, and could join both of them in the line-up at some stage against Fulham.

Martins is now on 31 goals for United since joining from Inter Milan in 2006 and, while reaching a half-century this season is not unfeasible, he is more concerned with playing his part for the team first and foremost.

He said: “It’s important to play well as a team, but scoring goals are important to me.

“I am like anybody else – I just want to keep doing it.”

Strike partner Ameobi goes into the game within realistic range of reaching goal No 50 in a black-and-white shirt, after his two goals this season put him within a brace of doing so.

Martins, though, just hopes United can end their trip to Fulham by partying with the Toon Army at Craven Cottage.

He said: “Fulham will be tough.

“They have some good players, but I don’t see why we can’t get all three points because of the run we have been on.

“If we keep on doing the right things, then there is no reason we can’t be celebrating at the end of the game again with our supporters.

“That would be something to look forward to.

“There were a lot of points dropped earlier in the season, so if we can take all of the positives from Aston Villa into Fulham, we can continue this run.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/11/07/oba-martins-backs-partnership-with-ameobi-72703-22205360/

Guest shearer_206

I've been Shola's worst critic over th eyears, but fair play to the lad he has got his head down & JKF has clearly had a word in his ear. He looks like he is recapturing the form of days gone by (Leverkusen & Barca' games stick in the mind).

I'm hoping he can keep this up because on his day (and if he stays fit) he can be a good link up player and menace to defences. He just needs to use his elbows a bit more  ;D

He's still 2nd rate tbh, but at least he's shown that he can come in and do a job as a target man while Viduka's out. I'd have been over the moon to have sold him in the summer but it's actually turned out to have been a blessing that the deals fell through. Unreal.

• 1 month later...

He's been better in this half season than during his so called super green patch under Roeder imo.

He always his his shitness about him but at times its a very productive shitness (ie will trip over the ball 98% of the time 6 games in a row but will still manage 3 goals and 4 assists).

If Kinnear stays beyond January, I spy a new contract for wor Shola.  :shifty:

:snod:

Anyway I thought he was excellent when he came on today, chasing balls down the touchline and keeping them in the corner - and setting up Guthrie too. Well done Shola.