The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

NEWCASTLE United are hopeful of sparking a bidding war for striker Shola Ameobi this summer, but the player’s agent has denied that a £4m bid from Championship club Ipswich Town has been accepted.

Ameobi returned to St James’s Park at the end of the season after enjoying mixed fortunes during a loan spell at Stoke and his hopes of resurrecting his United career appear slim – paving the way for a number of ambitious second-tier clubs to make their move for the former England Under-21 front man.

Newcastle are hopeful of receiving a figure approaching the £4m that they had negotiated with Stoke for Ameobi’s transfer to the Britannia Stadium before that move broke down amid doubts from both parties about how easily the striker would fit into the Potters’ style of play.

And, while there is clearly interest in the forward from a number of clubs reports yesterday that claimed that Ipswich have agreed a £4m fee have been dismissed by Ameobi’s agent Steven Denos as “speculation”.

There has been no official comment from Ipswich but sources in East Anglia have indicated that although the club made a tentative enquiry to United a fortnight ago regarding a fee for the forward they are yet to follow up their interest.

And that view of events was backed up by Ameobi’s representative Denos, who told The Journal that Newcastle are yet to receive an acceptable offer for the Nigeria-born striker.

“It’s speculation,” he said. “As far as I’m concerned Ipswich have not put a bid in for Shola. There has certainly been no dialogue from Newcastle to me to the effect that a bid has been submitted from any club at this stage.

“Our position is that we will be willing to talk to any club that puts a bid in to Newcastle that is acceptable.”

What is clear is that Ameobi is attracting the interest of a number of clubs, with East Anglian rivals Ipswich and Norwich both weighing up a bid.

There has also been interest from the John Carver-coached MLS club Toronto FC but Ameobi is not interested in a move to North America and is believed to favour staying in England – even if it means dropping down a division.

Norwich manager Glenn Roeder has already confirmed his interest in a player he worked with during his time at United but his resources are dwarfed by rivals Ipswich, who have benefited from a sizeable cash injection from businessman Marcus Evans.

Ipswich’s current wage structure may be a problem, however, with the club unwilling to go above the £10,000-a-week mark – a figure below the basic salary that Ameobi is on at St James’s Park.

The situation may be complicated further if Middlesbrough decide to follow up their interest in the striker, with the promise of further Premier League football sure to appeal to a player who first broke into the team during Bobby Robson’s time as manager.

Denos has reiterated that he and his player would be willing to talk to any club if they had a bid accepted.

“One thing for certain is that Newcastle would want a hefty transfer fee for him,” he said.

“He’s not going to MLS. We’ve had no contact from Middlesbrough and no offer in from Norwich City.”

Guest johnson293

Todays Chrocnic sticking by their guns....

Meanwhile, the Chronicle’s revelation that United have accepted a £3.5m package from Ipswich Town for striker Shola Ameobi has gone down like a lead balloon at Portman Road.

Ipswich boss Jim Magilton had been hoping to keep everything quiet until a deal was sealed.

The Tractor Boys are worried stiff their big East Anglian rivals Norwich City will move in, but significantly they have refused to deny that they have agreed a deal with United.

Norwich boss Glenn Roeder, of course, was Ameobi’s manager at St James’s, and he always rated the former England Under-21 striker very highly.

Roeder was back at his desk at Carrow Road today after his summer break in Florida, and he will have to decide if he can match Ipswich’s £3.5m package.

However, before any deal can go through, Ameobi, who has a history of hip problems, will have to come through a medical.

:celb:

Guest Heneage

Wasn't Roeder royally fucked off that he didn't get a call when Shola was made available for loan?

Oliver says it's fallen through:

Shola move falls through

Jun 13 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

SHOLA Ameobi’s proposed move to Ipswich Town has fallen through – leaving Kevin Keegan nearly £4m short in his transfer kitty.

Newcastle United had agreed a £3.5m package with Ipswich to let the 26-year-the old striker go to Portman Road.

But I understand that, with Ameobi not willing to commit himself to Ipswich and hoping that a Premier League club will come in for him, the Tractor Boys are rapidly losing interest.

And this is not the news that Kevin Keegan, vice-president Tony Jimenez and director of football Dennis Wise want to hear.

To be fair to United’s top brass, the £4m package they agreed with Stoke City, which saw Ameobi at the Britannia Stadium in the latter part of last season, was a good piece of business.

So too was the £3.5m they had worked out with Ipswich for a player who came through the ranks and cost them nothing.

The Chronicle revealed last month that Ameobi had done an about-turn and decided he did not want to go to the Potteries on a permanent deal.

Glenn Roeder was Ameobi’s boss at St James’s Park for a while, and he would love to take the former England Under-21 international to Carrow Road.

But Roeder has a tight budget and he cannot pay anywhere near £4m for a single player, and it remains to be seen if some kind of compromise can be worked out.

United supporters are quite naturally more interested in who is coming in to the club in the next few weeks than they are in who is leaving.

But since the end of the season Stephen Carr has gone on a free, Lamine Diatta was not retained, Peter Ramage was sold to Queens Park Rangers, David Rozehnal joined Lazio and Emre has returned to Turkey, leaving Keegan’s squad a bit short on numbers.

In addition, Joey Barton is languishing in Walton Jail and refusing to take the pay cut Ashley and the club want him to.

United supporters desperately need some good news from the club.

However, the fixtures for next season are out on Monday and this always gets the fans’ adrenalin pumping again.

I just don't fucking believe that. He's basically being told he's not in Keegan's plans and he's still prepared to just fucking sit there doing fuck all, take £25k a week for the next year and we'll get nothing for him because his contract will run out.

What a fucking bell end.  :dave:

Guest optimistic nit

"Peter Ramage was sold to Queens Park"

i must have missed that one. did we get any money from them?

Guest optimistic nit

"Peter Ramage was sold to Queens Park"

i must have missed that one. did we get any money from them?

£22m apparently. Good bit of business.  :thup:

should have held out for more tbh. their new chairman is richer than america.

Shola move falls through

SHOLA Ameobis proposed move to Ipswich Town has fallen through leaving Kevin Keegan nearly £4m short in his transfer kitty.

Newcastle United had agreed a £3.5m package with Ipswich to let the 26-year-the old striker go to Portman Road.

But I understand that, with Ameobi not willing to commit himself to Ipswich and hoping that a Premier League club will come in for him, the Tractor Boys are rapidly losing interest.

And this is not the news that Kevin Keegan, vice-president Tony Jimenez and director of football Dennis Wise want to hear.

To be fair to Uniteds top brass, the £4m package they agreed with Stoke City, which saw Ameobi at the Britannia Stadium in the latter part of last season, was a good piece of business.

So too was the £3.5m they had worked out with Ipswich for a player who came through the ranks and cost them nothing.

The Chronicle revealed last month that Ameobi had done an about-turn and decided he did not want to go to the Potteries on a permanent deal.

Glenn Roeder was Ameobis boss at St Jamess Park for a while, and he would love to take the former England Under-21 international to Carrow Road.

But Roeder has a tight budget and he cannot pay anywhere near £4m for a single player, and it remains to be seen if some kind of compromise can be worked out.

United supporters are quite naturally more interested in who is coming in to the club in the next few weeks than they are in who is leaving.

But since the end of the season Stephen Carr has gone on a free, Lamine Diatta was not retained, Peter Ramage was sold to Queens Park Rangers, David Rozehnal joined Lazio and Emre has returned to Turkey, leaving Keegans squad a bit short on numbers.

In addition, Joey Barton is languishing in Walton Jail and refusing to take the pay cut Ashley and the club want him to.

However, the fixtures for next season are out on Monday and this always gets the fans adrenalin pumping again.

Im sure he will change his mind when no prem clus want him. If he still stays then im sorry he has no ambition as much i love newcastle if i was a footballer and not playing every week for newcastle but another club could offer me first team football i would go there just like ramage has done.

Shola move falls through

SHOLA Ameobis proposed move to Ipswich Town has fallen through leaving Kevin Keegan nearly £4m short in his transfer kitty.

To be fair to Uniteds top brass, the £4m package they agreed with Stoke City, which saw Ameobi at the Britannia Stadium in the latter part of last season, was a good piece of business.

Glenn Roeder was Ameobis boss at St Jamess Park for a while, and he would love to take the former England Under-21 international to Carrow Road.

But since the end of the season Stephen Carr has gone on a free, Lamine Diatta was not retained, Peter Ramage was sold to Queens Park Rangers, David Rozehnal joined Lazio and Emre has returned to Turkey, leaving Keegans squad a bit short on numbers.

However, the fixtures for next season are out on Monday and this always gets the fans adrenalin pumping again.

Im sure he will change his mind when no prem clus want him. If he still stays then im sorry he has no ambition as much i love newcastle if i was a footballer and not playing every week for newcastle but another club could offer me first team football i would go there just like ramage has done.

Stoke City (a Prem club now) did want him though so it's bollocks. Just have to hope Southgate is silly enough to put a bid in but I very much doubt he will.