The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

West Brom back for Newcastle striker Ameobi as Baggies prepare for Kev exit

West Brom are expected to make another move for forward Shola Ameobi.

The 26-year-old Newcastle forward still favours joining a club in the Premier League and the Baggies are likely to have around £3.5million to spend as they search for a replacement for Kevin Phillips who is poised to join Birmingham.

Ameobi has been courted by Stoke, Norwich and Ipswich already this summer. 

West Brom manager Tony Mowbray admits he expects to lose veteran striker Phillips this summer.

Former Sunderland striker Phillips, who turns 35 later this month, is holding out for a two-year contract.

Scroll down for more

However West Brom are prepared to offer only one year, and Phillips could spurn the chance to play in the Barclays Premier League by stepping down to join a club in the Coca-Cola Championship.

Mowbray said: 'I'm pretty sure his preferred choice would be to stay here. But, at this moment, it is unlikely he will stay here. If there's a stumbling block that we can't overcome then so be it.'

Phillips' goals helped West Brom to promotion last season but Mowbray is prepared to look elsewhere for a frontman to lead his attack in the top flight.

'My strong belief, particularly when footballers get to 35, is that I find it very hard to hand out two-year contracts to 35-year-olds - however well they've done,' he said.

'I genuinely believe if Kevin wants to stay, he should back his ability and earn his second year.'

Mowbray added: 'We're looking for another striker regardless of what he does.'

Meanwhile, West Brom have named former Norwich manager Peter Grant as the club's new first-team coach.

Grant, 42, will be reunited with Mowbray, his former Celtic team-mate.

He is a former assistant manager of West Ham, and Mowbray told www.wbafc.co.uk: 'You'd be amazed at the amount of good football people out of work.

'I did have one or two conversations with other people but Peter's enthusiasm and his Premier League experience was pretty crucial when it came to making a final decision.'

Guest Phil K

Would still rather keep him than Smith

I still can't wrap my head around the attitude to Shola.

Yeah, he's crap, but better than a few who DON'T get this level of animosity.

Smith being a fine example of a headless chicken, for example.

Dont like Keegan mentioning him in plans for the coming season!

On the upside the Norwich take over should be done soon.

That failed about a week ago.

Our striker pecking order right now seems to be:

Owen > Martins > Viduka > Smith = Carroll > Ameobi.

Where really it should be:

Owen > Martins > Viduka > Carroll > Ameobi > Harper > Smith.

Owen > Martins > Viduka > Carroll > Harper > Ameobi > Smith.

FYP.

Owen > Martins > Viduka > Carroll > Harper > Ameobi > Taylor > Enrique > Butt > Geremi > The tea lady > Mike Ashley > Smith.

FYP.

FYP

• 2 weeks later...

Just been a fairly long interview with Roeder shown on SSN about Ameobi.

Basically says he thinks he's a good player who did well for him at the time and can do again if he's played right. Says he'd love to have him at Norwich and that he doesn't think we'll mind saying we're looking to sell. Problem is considering he's only played a handful of games in the last 18 months the fee we're asking is just too much.

Might be a very thinly-veiled 'lower your price' plea and I hope we do. :lol:

I can never bring myself to hate Roeder. Heart always in the right place and all that.

Saying that he was also one of the few managers to ever get anything out of Shola.. got him playing acceptable at one point.

Hmmm, just looking on Wiki & it says that the season under Roeder he didn't score any Premiership goals, but I specifically remember him scoring a blatantly offside goal against Everton from a set piece.. or was that someone else?

Guest DazzaNufc1892

the thing with shola that pisses me off, is the way he can put you on a downer right before the game. All is good, you will have had a nice day round the city, good laugh with the lads. Then, you walk into the staium, go to put a bet on, look at the team sheet, and your heart sinks, you realise the chances of top class form, have just sank, and that you are now in for 90 minutes of annoyance and missed chances

I can never bring myself to hate Roeder. Heart always in the right place and all that.

Saying that he was also one of the few managers to ever get anything out of Shola.. got him playing acceptable at one point.

Hmmm, just looking on Wiki & it says that the season under Roeder he didn't score any Premiership goals, but I specifically remember him scoring a blatantly offside goal against Everton from a set piece.. or was that someone else?

That was him. He scored against Wigan in the first game and against Bolton from a penalty aswell. Then the whole hip-thing started..

Guest Mantis

He should have felt lucky to have been offered a permanent deal with Stoke as he is Championship at best.  Hartlepool will beckon if he sits in the stand all season and sits the contract out. At least he was in the window, but he will soon be forgotten.

Just been a fairly long interview with Roeder shown on SSN about Ameobi.

Basically says he thinks he's a good player who did well for him at the time and can do again if he's played right. Says he'd love to have him at Norwich and that he doesn't think we'll mind saying we're looking to sell. Problem is considering he's only played a handful of games in the last 18 months the fee we're asking is just too much.

Might be a very thinly-veiled 'lower your price' plea and I hope we do. :lol:

I don't think anyone on here would be unhappy if we sold him to Norwich for £500k with some clauses that we'd get more if he scored over a certain number of goals or got them promoted.

For me it depends if we would get another forward in. If we sold Ameobi for next to nothing it would only mean Smith would get more pitch time unless we bring in another striker. Carroll should be loaned out again to gain experience (let's face it, if he can't get into a Championship team, he has no business being in the first team of this club yet). I would much, much rather get rid of Smith than of Ameobi, and that's saying something considering I don't rate Ameobi at all and never have done..